Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shots fired outside Houses of Parliament

atrophine is a standard drug carried by paramedics and can also be used as an antidote to nerve gas so he wasn't wrong per say.
tourniquets are back in fashion thank a long war for that advances in trauma care:rolleyes:.
you can even get combat trousers with built in torniquets wich is a touch morbid and couldn't possibly end badly:hmm:

Mawkishness isn't my issue. Some people love a bit of mass grieving (see Diana's death). What bothers me is that, with regard to such incidents, it plays right into the hands of the perpetrators.
I think the 'perpetrator' probably was someone driven to the point of madness and fury by what the interfering West has been doing to civilizations and cultures that he feels a deep affinity with.

I don't think he will have been part of a bigger plan.

I think the 'perpetrator' probably was someone driven to the point of madness and fury by what the interfering West has been doing to civilizations and cultures that he feels a deep affinity with.

let's hope not anyway.

There are often vigils for these things
Usually (in the case of teenagers murdered) the people attending vigils at the spot are people who knew the victim personally though, aren't they, not folk who just read about them in the papers, because that would feel intrusive I think, don't know. When the boy was killed in my street I did notice that a couple of the flower-bunches that people brought and left at the spot were from people who had just read / heard about it, and hadn't known him, and that was good to see.

Usually (in the case of teenagers murdered) the people attending vigils at the spot are people who knew the victim personally though, aren't they, not folk who just read about them in the papers, because that would feel intrusive I think, don't know. When the boy was killed in my street I did notice that a couple of the flower-bunches that people brought and left at the spot were from people who had just read / heard about it, and hadn't known him, and that was good to see.
this vigil famously not 'at the spot'.

Usually (in the case of teenagers murdered) the people attending vigils at the spot are people who knew the victim personally though, aren't they, not folk who just read about them in the papers, because that would feel intrusive I think, don't know.
Not the ones I've read about.

tbh most of the mps who cowered and quaked yesterday will vanish into obscurity without much being known of them

I WAS A HERO! I WAS THERE - Half of Westminster and a shit load of political reporters.

I particularly like this one from the Guardian.

The mind goes numb at times like these. A disconnect between brain and feeling. So it took me the best part of an hour to make sense of what I had seen. But the simple truth is this. Today I saw a man die. A police officer, someone I had almost certainly said “hello” to at some point over the years. Possibly even this morning. Who knows?

It was about 2.50pm when a reporter from Bloomberg came running into the Guardian office in the House of Commons to say there had been an incident outside. I ran into the offices of the Daily Telegraph that overlook New Palace Yard to see two bodies lying near the entrance to Westminster Hall, just yards from where Airey Neave had been murdered nearly 40 years previously.

I asked what had happened. “Some bloke just attacked a policeman with a knife,” I was told. “And then another policeman shot him three times in the chest.”

Thanks for posting this. I feel hugely reassured by your insightful analysis into the mind and motives of the killer which sound convincing to me.

Alex Carlile popping up on R4 using this incident as a blunt instrument to beat the Daily Mail around the head for their campaign opposing the RIPA Act

In a way, if there was a big public candleit vigil for the latest teenager shot dead in London (on Monday) or cyclist run over that might be more pointful, but won't happen.

There are often mass vigils/protests when cyclists get killed in London.

There are often mass vigils/protests when cyclists get killed in London.
True, I should've left the cyclists out of it really.
But when that one a while back made the news, the vigil / demo where all those cyclists lay in the street, that probably raised drivers' awareness at least for a while, having the effect of maybe reducing the chances of the same thing happening again the next day, which a vigil for victims of a thing like yesterday's attack is obviously not going to do.

People respond to things in their own ways. Personally I can't see the percentage in gathering in a big crowd to mourn people I never knew but if this is something other people want to do then fair enough.

From May's statement:

I can confirm police have searched six addresses and made eight arrests in Birmingham and London. It is still believed this attacker acted alone and police have no reason to believe there are imminent further attacks on the public. His identity is known to the police and MI5.

When operational considerations allow he will be publicly identified.

What I can confirm is the man was British born and that some years ago he was once investigated by MI5 in relation to concerns about violent extremism. He was a peripheral figure. The case is historic. He is not part of the current intelligence picture.

London attack: Theresa May says Westminster assailant was British-born and known to MI5 – live

I can sort of see where the cycle lane thing comes from in that there was a much wider space for the car to get through as opposed to if there had been traffic close to a small pavement. Even so, this nutter would have found a way to wreak havoc elsewhere so it's also a bit crass to think he would have just sat seething in traffic if he couldn't get through.

He has a point though, it's very easy for a vehicle to charge through a cycle lane for it's entire length at speed, whether driven by a terrorist or a driver having a massive road rage episode or just a medical incident. Better physical segregation using high curbs, bollards, lamposts etc can't be a bad thing.
if there hadn't been one, he might have driven entirely on the pavement, maiming and killing even more people

Back
Top Bottom