Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shots fired outside Houses of Parliament

Talking of cyclists' deaths, it seems some clown has been on the radio talking about how the segregated cycle land on the bridge made it easier for the attacker.

I think the 'perpetrator' probably was someone driven to the point of madness and fury by what the interfering West has been doing to civilizations and cultures that he feels a deep affinity with.

I don't think he will have been part of a bigger plan.

Veering towards apologia

Whilst I am truly sorry for the deaths that happened yesterday in London, just for a little perspective: Today in Mosul Rudaw are reporting that at least 137 civilians have been killed as a result of airstrikes. :(

Thats awful, but we are not at war like in Iraq

And? You think successive governments in the UK do not bear a fair degree of responsibility for what is happening out there? Also when they say 'airstrikes' it is useful to remember that almost certainly the US and maybe the RAF were involved.

I can't help but think this plays into the hands of those seeking to create a climate of fear (the jihadis, the racists, and the security services). It'd be better if those who weren't directly affected just got on with things as normal. As sad as this is for the families of those who died, in the context of London's statistics on stabbings and road deaths, the numbers are not statistically significant. (Not saying the deaths aren't significant to those who knew them, of course.)
Tend to agree, something along the lines of the Power of Nightmares thesis, the Adam Curtis film from just after 9/11 - don't agree with his whole thesis, fwiw, but he has a point with how events like this are used by the powerful. In staging this attack just outside Parliament it really is as if the terrorists are colluding with those in power to allow them to present themselves as our protector (in practice of course, I haven't gone all conspiraloon). That seemed to happening even last night as the journos and parliamentary correspondents rattled on about this 'symbolic attack' on the mother of parliaments. Partly that was just about who they were, parliamentary correspondents who were likely to rattle on about stuff like that and happened to be in situ when an attack happened. However, I have a feeling its going to be a major theme in the way '22/3' passes into history.

Almost seems like a tactic; alert spooks to your 'peripheral' nature, wait/sleep to see heat subside, then strike 'under the radar'?

In an age of automated processing of mass comms data, that'd be a terrible tactic.

More likely, there's so many of them with the potential to do something like this, that there's no way to keep on top of everyone - just direct resources at the highest risk, in the knowledge that some low risks will manifest occasionally.

In an age mass comms data, that'd be a terrible tactic.

More likely, there's so many of them with the potential to do something like this, that there's no way to keep on top of everyone - just direct resources at the highest risk, in the knowledge that some low risks will manifest occasionally.
Depressingly, you're probably correct.

Tend to agree, something along the lines of the Power of Nightmares thesis, the Adam Curtis film from just after 9/11 - don't agree with his whole thesis, fwiw, but he has a point with how events like this are used by the powerful. In staging this attack just outside Parliament it really is as if the terrorists are colluding with those in power to allow them to present themselves as our protector (in practice of course, I haven't gone all conspiraloon). That seemed to happening even last night as the journos and parliamentary correspondents rattled on about this 'symbolic attack' on the mother of parliaments. Partly that was just about who they were, parliamentary correspondents who were likely to rattle on about stuff like that and happened to be in situ when an attack happened. However, I have a feeling its going to be a major theme in the way '22/3' passes into history.

That mother of all parliaments had killed how many with its 'austerity' in recent months. It's a mutually beneficial distraction.

That mother of all parliaments had killed how many with its 'austerity' in recent months. It's a mutually beneficial distraction.

Christ when did a Monarchy start calling itself the mother of democracy anyway?

Has any MP yet challenged our continued arming of Islamic extremists? In the context of an attack by an Islamic extremist one might think it quite pressing.

Back
Top Bottom