Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scoffing too much meat and eggs is ‘just as bad as smoking’, claim scientists

Those are "fries" - yuck!

These are chips:
Beef%2Bfat%2Bchips.JPG

Oh, for God's sake.

High protein diet not as bad for you as smoking

“People who eat diets rich in animal protein carry similar cancer risk to those who smoke 20 cigarettes each day,” reports The Daily Telegraph.
We have decades of very good evidence that smoking kills and – fortunately for meat lovers – this latest unhelpful comparison with high protein diets largely appears to be a triumph of PR spin.

The warning was raised in a press release about a large study which found that for people aged 50-65, eating a lot of protein was associated with an increased risk of dying.
However, the study, which assessed the diets of Americans in a single 24-hour period (rather than long-term), found in those aged over 65 that a high protein diet was actually associated with a reduced risk of death from any cause or from cancer. These differing findings meant that overall there was no increase in risk of death, or from dying of cancer with a high protein diet.

And, in those aged over 65, a high protein diet was actually associated with a reduced risk of death from any cause or from cancer.

There are several reasons to be cautious when interpreting the results of this study, including that the researchers did not take into account important factors such as physical activity in their study.

The claim in much of the media, that a high protein diet in middle-aged people is “as dangerous as smoking” is unsupported.

We need to eat protein, we do not need to smoke.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/03March/Pages/high-protein-diet-may-be-harmful-for-middle-aged.aspx

Well, apparently necking red wine is actually good for you according to scientists, so I'm off for a merlot or two tonight. To wash down my a lovely rare steak and chips.... Mmmm

Humans are really flexible in our diets. Inuit traditionally ate virtually no fruit or veg, but got everything they needed to stay healthy from eating meat and fish, and - crucially - eating all the animal - the liver is important.

Here's a good article on the high-protein diets of various peoples and how they work. It's not just 'meat'. The kind of meat you eat is crucial, how the animal lived, the bits of it that you eat, how fresh it is, how you cook it, etc. As the article points out, you can even get all the Vit C you need just from meat if you don't overcook it.

In other places and times, people have lived healthily on just veg. That flexibility is part of what has allowed humans to colonise the world so widely.

Veal from Waitrose is kept ethically. The calves live decent lives before they are killed. Cruelty is not necessary to produce veal.
And what percentage of veal eaters do you think buy it from Waitrose, notwithstanding the notion of an 'uncruel' slaughter. But that's another argument,

Veal from Waitrose is kept ethically. The calves live decent lives before they are killed. Cruelty is not necessary to produce veal.

Aren't there a couple of different kinds, called something like 'white veal' and 'pink veal' (white being the crueller and apparently better-tasting one)?

And what percentage of veal eaters do you think buy it from Waitrose, notwithstanding the notion of an 'uncruel' slaughter. But that's another argument,
In my house, 100 per cent. I've only bought veal about five times in my life, and it has always been from Waitrose. :)

That's great to hear, and I'm glad you can afford their prieces, but that wasn't the question I asked.
I only ever buy it when it is reduced, but thanks for the moronic dig. But even at full price, a nice piece of veal costs little more than a pint of beer in the pub.

What point are you trying to make here?

You're a very bad meat-eating person. :(
I've bought veal from Waitrose. :eek:

That breaks about four rules all at once.

Didn't have editor down as a 'you shop at Waitrose so you must be rich' moron, but hey ho, evidently he is one.

Last edited:
I've bought veal from Waitrose. :eek:

That breaks about four rules all at once.

Didn't have editor down as a 'you shop at Waitrose so you must be rich' moron, but hey ho, evidently he is one.
I've no idea why you've decided to start making stuff up at this point (or throw around insults), but it really doesn't do you any favours.

I've no idea why you've decided to start making stuff up at this point (or throw around insults), but it really doesn't do you any favours.
'I'm glad you can afford their prieces'

What do you know about me, my budget and my shopping habits? You think you can tell something because I mention buying veal from Waitrose, which is moronic.

'I'm glad you can afford their prieces'

What do you know about me, my budget and my shopping habits? You think you can tell something because I mention buying veal from Waitrose, which is moronic.
Are you really so out of touch with reality that you assume that everyone can afford to buy top quality meat from Waitrose?

Are you really so out of touch with reality that you assume that everyone can afford to buy top quality meat from Waitrose?
I'm in touch with my own reality sufficiently to know that I can only afford Waitrose veal when it is reduced, which it quite often is. Waitrose meat is often reduced to half price or better. It is my local supermarket, and I pop in there two or three times a week and pick up good bargains.

Now fuck off.

Back
Top Bottom