Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scoffing too much meat and eggs is ‘just as bad as smoking’, claim scientists

I'm in touch with my own reality sufficiently to know that I can only afford Waitrose veal when it is reduced, which it quite often is. Waitrose meat is often reduced to half price or better. It is my local supermarket, and I pop in there two or three times a week and pick up good bargains.

Now fuck off.

TBF you can buy veal more widely than at Waitrose, and it's all raised pretty much to the same standard, because it's a "premium" product.
Also, in terms of "pink" and "white" veals, we only sell and rear pink veal over here - that is, the calf is actually weaned and eating grass before it is slaughtered for the table, unlike white veal (which IIRC someone on here has said is also now illegal in the EU) which is still on the teat, crated and usually fed supplementary milk proteins to keep the flesh pale.

Humans are really flexible in our diets. Inuit traditionally ate virtually no fruit or veg, but got everything they needed to stay healthy from eating meat and fish, and - crucially - eating all the animal - the liver is important.

Here's a good article on the high-protein diets of various peoples and how they work. It's not just 'meat'. The kind of meat you eat is crucial, how the animal lived, the bits of it that you eat, how fresh it is, how you cook it, etc. As the article points out, you can even get all the Vit C you need just from meat if you don't overcook it.

In other places and times, people have lived healthily on just veg. That flexibility is part of what has allowed humans to colonise the world so widely.

That's an interesting article. But I doubt Inuit ate some types of liver, or they'd be dead. Polar bear liver is toxic to humans due to the massive amount of Vitamin A it contains. So best avoided really.

When I'm taking a sabbatical from alcohol (as I am doing ATM except this one's hopefully going to be for the rest of my days), I always seem to drink a hell of a lot of milk - For one thing I love the taste but I also find (and this is probably entirely a placebo/imaginary type thing) that the drinking of milk seems to sooth the nerves and have a mild anti-anxiety type effect.

Anyway, thinking about milk and alcohol together has got me wondering - Is there/has there ever been an alcoholic drink based on fermented milk? I don't mean an alcoholic drink with milk added to it, I mean something like milk wine or milk beer in which the actual milk (with the possible addition of some extra sugar to boost strength) has been fermented?

Sorry, that has fuck all to do with the OP, but these kind of studies are bullshit anyway and only exist to keep bullshit studymakers in jobs anyway.

When I'm taking a sabbatical from alcohol (as I am doing ATM except this one's hopefully going to be for the rest of my days), I always seem to drink a hell of a lot of milk - For one thing I love the taste but I also find (and this is probably entirely a placebo/imaginary type thing) that the drinking of milk seems to sooth the nerves and have a mild anti-anxiety type effect.

Anyway, thinking about milk and alcohol together has got me wondering - Is there/has there ever been an alcoholic drink based on fermented milk? I don't mean an alcoholic drink with milk added to it, I mean something like milk wine or milk beer in which the actual milk (with the possible addition of some extra sugar to boost strength) has been fermented?

Sorry, that has fuck all to do with the OP, but these kind of studies are bullshit anyway and only exist to keep bullshit studymakers in jobs anyway.

This

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumis

Not fermented milk, but I used to know someone in Leeds who drank vodka and milk. To be honest, it looked disgusting - and confused bar staff no end - but he seemed to like it.

Not fermented milk, but I used to know someone in Leeds who drank vodka and milk. To be honest, it looked disgusting - and confused bar staff no end - but he seemed to like it.

Did it separate and/or go lumpy?

Tia Maria and milk's quite a nice drink. And it'll stop you getting those little white things on your fingernails that people used to say were a sign of calcium deficiency but probably aren't.

We were stuck in the early hours once, called a taxi place that delivered booze and then made our own Baileys with cheap brandy and chocolate milk. It was disgusting.

acid_picdump_08.jpg

It shouldn't have confused the bar staff too much, you can make a white russian with milk rather than cream, that's just lacking the liquor

What about milk vodka

Black Cow Pure Milk Vodka Bottling Note
The creation of West Dorset dairy farmer Jason Barber, Black Cow claims to be the world's first pure milk vodka, made from nothing but pure whole milk. The whey is used for vodka whilst the curds go into Jason's award winning cheeses!

http://www.blackcow.co.uk/

It's OK everyone, don't panic, it was all a false alarm. That sage of reliable health stories the Daily Express has found the truth;

2014-03-06.jpg

If only Diana had eaten more fatty food....

64 fahrenheit? FFS Express, that's only 17.7 fucking degrees fucking celsius?

Broken Britain :(

Pink veal doesn't count. Proper white veal, for making escalopes and blanquete de veau, is always on the shopping list for my trips to France.

Didnt your Mongolians drink something like that. On the phone. Can't be asked googling to be honest.

Pink veal doesn't count. Proper white veal, for making escalopes and blanquete de veau, is always on the shopping list for my trips to France.

I've got to say I've never really fancied veal. I like meat that's all fatty and tough that you can chew on a bit. Pallid, milk-fed stuff that hasn't seen the light of day doesn't sound all that nice to me. Still, each to their own or some othersuch

Didnt your Mongolians drink something like that. On the phone. Can't be asked googling to be honest.

They did, buckaroo answered earlier on.

*Last time I walked past Brindisa on the opposite side of the road I spotted they were selling legs of ham and chorizo. Champagne & Fromage ALSO sell a lot of meaty things, despite their fragile attempt of a smokescreen by not mentioning it in their name.

.......Am I the only one that can see that the principal cause of cancer is Gentryfication?

* this opinion was sponsored by Crayola and brought to you using the letters C, A & T

*Last time I walked past Brindisa on the opposite side of the road I spotted they were selling legs of ham and chorizo. Champagne & Fromage ALSO sell a lot of meaty things, despite their fragile attempt of a smokescreen by not mentioning it in their name.

.......Am I the only one that can see that the principal cause of cancer is Gentryfication?

* this opinion was sponsored by Crayola and brought to you using the letters C, A & T

I was just on the joke thread, but my mind was elsewhere when I opened this thread.

I thought I was still on the joke thread. I read the post above and thought: That's not very funny?

Did it separate and/or go lumpy?

Tia Maria and milk's quite a nice drink. And it'll stop you getting those little white things on your fingernails that people used to say were a sign of calcium deficiency but probably aren't.

It didn't separate at all. But the poor barstaff used to have to use the milk they'd brought in for their brews, and obviously there was no button on those pre-programmed tills to charge for the milk. :D

I had fermented milk in Tanzania - that was almost 25 years ago so I can't remember exactly what it tasted like other than it being sour and rank :D

TBF you can buy veal more widely than at Waitrose, and it's all raised pretty much to the same standard, because it's a "premium" product.
Also, in terms of "pink" and "white" veals, we only sell and rear pink veal over here - that is, the calf is actually weaned and eating grass before it is slaughtered for the table, unlike white veal (which IIRC someone on here has said is also now illegal in the EU) which is still on the teat, crated and usually fed supplementary milk proteins to keep the flesh pale.
Sure you can. I was simply saying what I knew to be true. But being that I'm totally out of touch with reality, I can't possibly see beyond the privileged status I have as some who enters Waitrose.

Back
Top Bottom