Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scab shops

hash tag

Reaching out
Scab tills are so yesterday, scab shops are the future. There were 270,000 checkout operators, we lost 190,000 during the last year, most of them are women. Designed to make shopping simpler but more likely to cut down on staff wages and shoplifting. Yet another way of excluding certain sectors of society.

I mean, the article says you won't be able to enter the shops without downloading an app, but I reckon where there's a will there's a way:
156479_sparramraid_570242.jpg

The article quoted infers scab tills have been reduced, in part due to shoplifting, which creates greater queues at peopled tills probably because many of them have been phased out.
I didn't read the article, I am bored with G asking me for money. There are opportunities for shop lifting with scab tills, however there is usually an employee lurking around them ime.

Where there is a human operated till I will go there unless there are massive queues.

I have a vision of people who haven't paid being chased by a huge white ball like in the Prisoner (showing my age there). It will be interesting to see how these things pan out. I suspect they probably have a limited market, I can't see every shop going down this route.

Is this "scab shop" the unstaffed large kiosk type place ... ?

I've seen them a few times in "service stations" and a couple of main-line railway stations ...

If so, as with scab tills, I'll not use them unless there is absolutely no other option.

People need jobs !

Scab tills are so yesterday, scab shops are the future. There were 270,000 checkout operators, we lost 190,000 during the last year, most of them are women. Designed to make shopping simpler but more likely to cut down on staff wages and shoplifting. Yet another way of excluding certain sectors of society.
No, we lost 190,000 retail workers, some of whom were checkout staff.

I always use the scab tills if I'm not buying alcohol. The less I have to talk to people when I don't have to, the better. Retail jobs are far more impacted by online shopping than by scab tills, although no doubt they do have some impact.

The self service computers usually crash anyway and you end up waiting for the one worker to let you carry on.

They're currrently in the 'testing the water' phase of this, I can see some demand for it but I can't imagine it making much inroad into the large supermarkets where most people do their 'main' shop. I think the sort of people who are likely to use it are the people who 'nip out' in their lunch break to get a few things though of course the most important workplace trend of the past couple of years in WFH is liable to thin out such a market greatly.
I think we will see more of these places but I don't think they are going to become a dominant shopping trend.

The article quoted infers scab tills have been reduced, in part due to shoplifting, which creates greater queues at peopled tills probably because many of them have been phased out.
I haven’t read the article because I’m bored with the Guardian nagging me, but does the article infer or imply? I’d guess the latter, but the former is possible.

If I were an unscrupulous investor it's where my money would be going. Amazon have a few up and running, Tesco, one or two, Aldi and Morrisons are known
to be thinking about it. I have a hunch there may well be at least 5 different chains doing this by the end of the year and I think many younger people will buy into it.

Aldi's first scab shop is on Greenwich High Road and you'll be glad to know that things are not going well. The retail space is a former Coop which became a Costcutter and then a poudshop and the adjacent chicken shop. They started converting the building in August 2020 and finished building works about a year later. It was announced that they were opening in October last year which was then put back to November. It still isn't open but they've had full shelves including perishables on and off since the autumn. Hordes of pseudoshoppers turn up every other week or so to trial the system, and then go away again.

The sad pictures of nothing much happening are from earlier this afternoon

IMG_20220111_145542.jpgIMG_20220111_145225.jpg

Problems wit technology working in situ? I am sure it will be up and running soon.
I am being a luddite not wanting these things.

Reactions: tim
The self service computers usually crash anyway and you end up waiting for the one worker to let you carry on.

They work just fine in my experience. Only slowed down by the need to have booze approved by a human being. But then I hardly ever go into the actual supermarket at all these days. Delivery is a far superior experience.

We said this when they shut the shipyards, steelworks, mines and print works.

Flush plumbing devastated the nightsoil industry and incidentally triggered the rise of industrial/chemical fertilisers and the creation of a police force.

Few technological innovations have had such a marked affect on the balance society of their times! :D

Flush plumbing devastated the nightsoil industry and incidentally triggered the rise of industrial/chemical fertilisers and the creation of a police force.

Few technological innovations have had such a marked affect on the balance society of their times! :D
The point is it’s always the poor bloody workers and never the toffs that suffer.

Last edited:
The point is it’s always the poor bloody workers and never the toffs that suffer.
I'm pretty sure that the introduction of modern plumbing was a massive positive that benefitted everyone not just the rich even if some people lost their jobs as a direct result of it.
The thing is Luddism just doesn't work, technology which is probably the most single driver of social change marches inexorably on and nothing can stop it or even slow it down. Where we fail as a society is not accepting this is inevitable and find things for the people who lose their jobs to do. We need to think as a society about what we are going to do with the people who lose their jobs to progress not just leaving it to each individual to retrain/live in a cave/find another dead end job.
This situation is only going to escalate, with a few notable exceptions every repetitive job is going to be automated out of existence over the next 20 or 30 years.

I'm pretty sure that the introduction of modern plumbing was a massive positive that benefitted everyone not just the rich even if some people lost their jobs as a direct result of it.
The thing is Luddism just doesn't work, technology which is probably the most single driver of social change marches inexorably on and nothing can stop it or even slow it down. Where we fail as a society is not accepting this is inevitable and find things for the people who lose their jobs to do. We need to think as a society about what we are going to do with the people who lose their jobs to progress not just leaving it to each individual to retrain/live in a cave/find another dead end job.
This situation is only going to escalate, with a few notable exceptions every repetitive job is going to be automated out of existence over the next 20 or 30 years.
I understand all your points. You may or may not be aware that I am a recently retired robotics engineer. Moving into that field as engineering progressed through the 47 years I spent in mechanical engineering maintenance.
My most recent work involved installing, commissioning and maintaining engineering and material handling robotic systems.
You have no idea the feelings of guilt I have towards the manual workers my chosen profession has displaced.

Back
Top Bottom