Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

S&B meets country walk mark II

Well it says:

Sleeps 11 in twin and triple rooms

Which suggests that he can have his own bed all to himself! I doubt you'll get a double though...

ps.. sorry Choc.. I did know you were coming, but I'm rubbish at lists.. thanks for putting me right!

Right we're confirmed in the 11 person bunkhouse. There are 10 of us and if we don't fill the other bed we may end up paying an extra £1 each..

I had a thought that we could get food delivered to the bunkhouse for our breakfasts and lunches and asked the landlady about it.. she said..

"I think Iceland does a internet order and they deliver from Welshpool.
If you are stuck then give me a list of what you need and I will get it for you Looking forward to meeting you on the 30th."

What do you think? It could save time and trouble. I reckon for a fiver each we ought to be able to cover brekkie and sangers.

Also she wanted to know if any of us want to hire linen and a quilt for £2.50 per person? I'm guessing "no" and that's what I'll tell her unless anyone tells me otherwise. I'll bring a sleeping bag myself...

Quite excited!

gaijingirl said:
I had a thought that we could get food delivered to the bunkhouse for our breakfasts and lunches and asked the landlady about it.. she said..

"I think Iceland does a internet order and they deliver from Welshpool.
If you are stuck then give me a list of what you need and I will get it for you Looking forward to meeting you on the 30th."

What do you think? It could save time and trouble. I reckon for a fiver each we ought to be able to cover brekkie and sangers.

Also she wanted to know if any of us want to hire linen and a quilt for £2.50 per person? I'm guessing "no" and that's what I'll tell her unless anyone tells me otherwise. I'll bring a sleeping bag myself...

bows down to queen of getting things sorted!
yes am up for food kitty, and although I'm bring a sleeping bag would be up for linen too as it's only a summery one and it get's cold in t'country! :D
I'll transfer the ££ to ya...
x

Me and hendo can do some shopping on the way down -- we're not working on the Friday so have the whole day. We just need a list and a kitty!

Me and hendo will hire linen and quilts -- as we are not campers and like to live in luxury we don't have sleeping bags.... ;)

Ok... So that's definitely linen for three!

There's no rush on the linen front, but I'll probably get back to her in a week or so, so if anyone else wants linen do let me know.

Shall we agree on a fiver each for the kitty? TBH I've kind of plucked that figure out of thin air, but I reckon that should be enough for tea/milk/butter/bread/sandwich fillings/cereal/fruit/eggs? and other brekkie stuff. We'll have to make a list. I guess we'll be looking at two brekkies and two packed lunches.

I would imagine maybe eggs and toast and jam/marmite and cereals for brekkie.

And a couple of filled rolls, an apple and a packet of crisps.. or something like that for lunch.

But that's the path of absolute least resistance cos I'm a lazy bugger.. so if anyone else has any ideas bring 'em on! Also I think with a vegetarian brain, so meat eaters will probably want bacon etc for their brekkie??

Alternatively we could bow down to the culinary genius of Ms T, promise to all give her a fiver (or thereabouts.. basically the shopping bill split 10 ways) and leave her go mad in the supermarket (if you're ok with that Ms T!) on our behalves.

I really don't mind. Decide among yourselves, but if I am being let loose in the supermarket (do you know how extravagant I can be regarding food :p ), let me know how many veggies there are so I get a decent mix of stuff.

Maybe we could do an online shopping list? Having done this kind of thing before, you'll be truly amazed at how much food 10 people can pack away in a weekend.

Ms T said:
Maybe we could do an online shopping list? Having done this kind of thing before, you'll be truly amazed at how much food 10 people can pack away in a weekend.

That's a really good idea!

Right.. this is pretty damn basic... and it still came to £103.01. So maybe we should say a tenner each for food. :eek: Things have changed since I last did this kind of shop! :oops: And Ms T, also very wisely mentioned drink!! We may want a few "aperitifs" before hitting the pub? So I added two boxes of wine and 20 bottles of Stella - we won't be arriving till quite late on Friday and then we'll presumably be in the pub Sat night, so there's only really a short amount of "in-bunkhouse" drinking time.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what beer anyone likes/I have no idea about meat.. but I worked on the premise of breakfast being eggs/bacon/tomatoes/cereal, toast/marmite/juice & tea. And lunch being 2xfilled rolls with cheese/ham/pickle/tomatoes, an apple, a packet of crisps and a small carton of juice. So there are lots of other things that people might like such as coffee, jam or just more sophisticated food!

Also I didn't do any of the special offers (3 for 2 etc) which will really work in our favour buying in bulk.

Any suggestions or comments really gratefully received!!!

1 Marmite Yeast Extract 250g 2.18

1 Stella Artois 20 X 25cl Bottles 9.99

2 Tesco French Red 3 Ltr Box 17.96

20 Tomatoes Loose Class 1 1.80

1 Tesco Value Ground Black Pepper 25g 0.25

1 Tesco Table Salt 500g 0.27

4 Tesco Pure Apple Juice 6 X 200ml 3.92

6 Tesco Value Orange Juice 1 Litre Carton 1.98

1 Walkers Variety Crisps 24 Pack 2.74

20 Pink Lady Apples Class 1 Loose 6.80

3 Tesco Unsmoked Rindless Back 500g 8.67

2 Tesco Honey & Nut Cornflakes 500g 2.56

2 Tesco Healthy Eating Semi- Skimmed Milk 3.408ltr/6 Pints 3.26

1 Tesco Premium 40 Teabags 125g 0.48

2 Anchor Lighter Spreadable 500g 3.52

4 Tesco Wholemeal Thick Sliced Loaf 800g 1.72

4 Tesco Free Range Eggs Large Box Of 6 3.92

3 Tesco Honey Roast Ham 250g 10 Slices 6.24

1 C & B Branston Sandwich Pickle 620g 1.17

4 Tesco Caledonian Mature Cheddar 500g 15.00

11 Hovis Granary Rolls 4pk 8.58

You have no items in your basket
Guide price £103.01

Also, just thought, if there are 10 of us wanting to eat in a pub, we'll have to make a reservation. I could ask the landlady of the bunkhouse for a recommendation... and also do some research online... are there any particular requirements for a pub?

Closest one is the Raven Inn

welshpool_raven.jpg

(They apparently do dinner from 6-8:30 and have 3 veggie options)

A tenner each sounds pretty cheap to me for breakfast and lunch for 2 days... I'm quite extravagant about food myself though :oops:

I've been rubbish about helping with arrangements, sorry. My pub requirement is some nice cold lager in a non-Harvester environment... that's it!

When I've done this kind of thing before, it's been a fair bit more than a tenner each, but that included dinner and booze, and I don't mind spending on food.

I'd be happy with £10-20 a head, personally, but that's just me....

I used to have to bulk buy for 16 kids for regular weekends away.. and I don't remember it ever being this expensive.. but that's a fair while ago now and did involve copious amounts of alphabetti spaghetti... :oops: This is in the days before the sun-blushed tomato...

Ms T said:
Bump!

Any ideas about shopping yet? Budget? Any requests?

I think the list above (as a guide) should just about do it. That would work out at approx £10 a head. I am personally happy to spend a bit more but I wouldn't want to speak on behalf of others. The food above should be adequate for our brekkies and lunches though and then we can go mad/economise as we like for dinner at the pub.

I am not going to be online too much this week cos of college but I will check to see what arrangements are going ahead for travel etc. I spoke to Dimples who said she will probably drive down herself regardless of whether Ms T drives (she lives out by Heathrow)... so there should be two cars for lift possibilities and if it does piss down all weekend we should find things a bit easier transport wise. I'll call the hostel owner again today and unless she advises against it or has a much better idea...I'm going to go ahead and book the pub I mentioned above for dinner. I have no idea if it's any good or not, but it is the closest pub to our hostel as far as I can make out.

For those taking the train let's meet at 18:45 outside Boots at Euston. (I would suggest the pub but it's upstairs and we'll have our bikes!).

:)

wow...

i am happy to pay for whatever the food will cost. i think we need coffee though. personaly although a meateater i wouldn't mind to eat veggie only whilst we are in the hostel. we can always eat some meat when we are in the pup. i think if mrs t doesn't mind it would be a good idea if they went shopping. i don't eat marmite btw :oops: ;)

for the train people, should we meet on the platform on friday? when is the train leaving again? gg can you pm me your mobile just in case like? :)

thanks for all the organising. really looking forward!

I am here and still coming - I think I am going to make a blanket next, as I haven't knitted anything for ages :oops: :D

Just realised I have to get my bike to work and then up to Euston on friday....could be interesting....

I don't eat marmite either.... I do like bacon sandwiches though. :)

What time are you lot arriving at the bunkhouse?

I haven't knitted anything for months :oops:

Choc said:
thanks for all the organising. really looking forward!
Yep me too :)

Choc said:
personaly although a meateater i wouldn't mind to eat veggie only whilst we are in the hostel. we can always eat some meat when we are in the pup.
Yep agree with this as well.

I still need to get a lift with someone if that is ok... I can travel to whereever people want to leave from. Or else gg I could do with your reference number and I could try to get a train ticket.

And just to be clear -- there are eight of us, and we're looking at breakfast and packed lunch for two days, and a bit of booze?? More wine than beer?

PieEye said:
Just realised I have to get my bike to work and then up to Euston on friday....could be interesting....

couldn't you get it to Vauxhall and then pick it up from there after work?

Oh - linen... I missed this bit, I must have been in Spain.

Yes I would like to hire linen if it isn't too late.

Ms T said:
And just to be clear -- there are eight of us, and we're looking at breakfast and packed lunch for two days, and a bit of booze?? More wine than beer?

thought we were 10? but yes to all the other stuff - thanks!

Oh and gg - just found this site... not sure if you know it already, but handy for non folders! :D
http://www.atob.org.uk/bike_rail.html

oh, and I like marmite! - but someone remember to bring the jam we made too!

btw i don't need linen. thank you.

yes maybe more wine than beer although beer is also nice. there is some good offers in tesco at the moment for red... i could buy some and bring? but that might make things even more complicated now...

bacon always nice also :)

I think there were nine of us but acechick has dropped out, making eight. Is that right, gg the uber-organiser?

(This bodes well for school trips to France in the future, btw.)

Choc said:
i think we need coffee

Should I get instant given that I'm not sure what they'll have in the bunkhouse in the way of equipment? I know it's not ideal. I could bring a cafetiere, I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom