Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In praise of M&S cabbage greens

Three packaged smallish courgettes for £1.30 or as many as you want of random sizes for £2.65 a kilo. Not an easy decision to make quickly.
I thought that just about everyone knew that loose, unpackaged veg is almost always going to be cheaper than the pre-packaged stuff.

I thought that just about everyone knew that loose, unpackaged veg is almost always going to be cheaper than the pre-packaged stuff.
You would be surprised!

I think it is great that you are getting a bargain, enjoying some veg and just as importantly eating something which might have gone in waste.

My experience is that people often put somethings to the back of their minds for convenience, and not everyone checks prices.

Spring Cabbage is the best veg. I remember asking for it as a kid.

This and That in Manchester do a great cabbage curry (Tuesdays and Saturdays).

This is the closest recipe I've found, it's better if you leave out the potato.

very filling and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
one of the few "cheap" items left in the supermarket

but, no surprise, the value of the cabbage as a nutritious filler has caught on. it's not surprising that there have been shortages of availability,; at least where i live...

Spring Cabbage is the best veg. I remember asking for it as a kid.

This and That in Manchester do a great cabbage curry (Tuesdays and Saturdays).

This is the closest recipe I've found, it's better if you leave out the potato.

That looks lush, thanks for the recipe - going on the list of things to try.
Should be a good use of leftover cabbage, 1 head makes several meals between 2 people! That looks like an excellent way for day 2 of a head of cabbage.

That looks lush, thanks for the recipe - going on the list of things to try.
Should be a good use of leftover cabbage, 1 head makes several meals between 2 people! That looks like an excellent way for day 2 of a head of cabbage.

I've got a tendency to make it a bit too hot but it's gorgeous all the same. I need to try it in a sandwich like the recipe says.

I've also noticed the recipe mentions adding Aamchoor (mango powder) which isn't in the ingredients so I've never used that.

I think they are what the greengrocer used to call Brussels tops. After some brassica are harvested, a cross is cut in the top of the plant and there is a secondary growth to be harvested
I accidentally ate Brussels sprouts leaves recently, thinking it was cabbage. It tasted quite nice.

This is a version of one of our standard ways of cooking cabbage though I don't usually add chili: Chinese Sauteed Cabbage with Vinegar Sauce (醋溜卷心菜)
Also lovely just done in garlic, splash of water and salt.

Did this today for lunch with some spiced pork mince (loosely inspired by kra pow). Really enjoyed it, used spring greens as it's what I had. Didn't remove the peppers as I love them. I'll certainly cook for my OH now I've tested it, although might scale back the rice vinegar when I do so. And of course, like stir frying/braising most greens like this shrinks them so you can get more in you. :)

In a devastating twist, it seems that M&S are no longer selling Cabbage Greens so following the sage advice of our apparently-departed money-saving tipster I purchased a whole cabbage (from M&S to make the comparison fair), sliced it up in a similar manner and popped it in a microwave bag. And it's not as nice - it came out a bit more soggy despite putting a hole in the bag. It's not an awful lot cheaper either.

Next week I'll try different cabbage mixes from the market stall to get the price right down. Although I do miss my end-of-day, cut-price 70p cabbage bags.

Aah, so this is that cabbage thread.

I like cabbage, i didn't used to as a youth because like many others was force fed, it boiled to buggery every Sunday (when in season)

Everything! People just don't like them when they've only had supermarket stuff that was picked days ago and then overcooked.

* Throws a cabbage at danny *

It's passable. Kale on the other hand.

It's one thing I miss about my partner not having a small organic farm anymore. Bags and bags of really good kale. The stuff in the supermarket is a disgrace or stupidly expensive. And I don't shop anywhere expensive enough to sell Chard.

It's passable. Kale on the other hand.

It's one thing I miss about my partner not having a small organic farm anymore. Bags and bags of really good kale. The stuff in the supermarket is a disgrace or stupidly expensive. And I don't shop anywhere expensive enough to sell Chard.
Definitely makes a difference with kale, some varieties are really lush and sweet just eaten raw when they're fresh.

Chard's actually related to beetroot, not cabbage etc. It's one of the easiest things to grow though and practically indestructible, so strange that you can't find any. Last year I was giving it away by the bin bag!

Back
Top Bottom