Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In praise of Pork Scratchings

I didn't really like them till one night after work met some pals at a pub which had a restaurant attached and the chef had made some fresh so we had them as bar snacks.

No way. Is there a specific dish you cook with them?
Dunno, but I’m sure Chinese cuisine will have a use for it. It could be they’re cooked in the dish sold as fried pork intestines in Szechuan and Han restaurants, though I’d read that they were colons, not rectums, which are just a bit further up the bum.
They’re a bit like calamari, but tasting of pig instead of squid.
Apparently some unscrupulous traders and restaurants sell them as calamari

Dunno, but I’m sure Chinese cuisine will have a use for it. It could be they’re cooked in the dish sold as fried pork intestines in Szechuan and Han restaurants, though I’d read that they were colons, not rectums, which are just a bit further up the bum.
They’re a bit like calamari, but tasting of pig instead of squid.
Apparently some unscrupulous traders and restaurants sell them as calamari

I mean give me enough szechean pepper and chilli and I probably would after a few beers.

You get pig skin here, my wife's a fan, looks like a massive pork scratching but never eaten it myself.
Can get it in morrisons or a butchers, did loads of it alongside whenever oven was on already

Can get it in morrisons or a butchers, did loads of it alongside whenever oven was on already
This seems to come fried like a scratching, it's all crispy and bubbled. She usually does it in soup so it ends up soft.

For me it has to be chicharrones. I love them. My method is to soak the pork belly overnight. Next day I drain, put them in a pan, cover them with water and slowly boil them till the water has evaporated. At this point I let them continue to cook in their own fat. When they are crisp and golden brown they're ready.

images.jpeg

Why is everyone’s teeth so fucked up? you’re supposed to brush them, you know. ;)

I know, I know good teeth privilege. Probably bite me on the arse next time I go to the dentist.

Why is everyone’s teeth so fucked up? you’re supposed to brush them, you know. ;)

I know, I know good teeth privilege. Probably bite me on the arse next time I go to the dentist.
Appropriate choice of phrasing there!

Anyway, I went vegetarian before I gave up being religiously Jewish so I've never really had an opportunity to eat treyf, and pork scratchings always seem like one of the most intriguing of meaty foods, definitely one I'd try if I ever had a day off from being veggie or something. They seem like they'd be properly fucking rank and maybe amazing.

They seem like they'd be properly fucking rank and maybe amazing.
I can be squeamish about food and don’t like eating meat on the bone at all, but there is something about pork scratchings and the way the fat oozes out and dissolves on your tongue.

Sort of similar sensation to a prawn cocktail skip I think - though it must be over a decade since I’ve had a pack of them.

Appropriate choice of phrasing there!

Anyway, I went vegetarian before I gave up being religiously Jewish so I've never really had an opportunity to eat treyf, and pork scratchings always seem like one of the most intriguing of meaty foods, definitely one I'd try if I ever had a day off from being veggie or something. They seem like they'd be properly fucking rank and maybe amazing.
I think there was an attempt to market vegetarian 'pork' scratchings a few years ago

I blame ADHD (never remember to brush at night and probably don’t brush enough in the morning cos I get bored scrubbing)

I think I’m probably mildly neurotic and prone to fretting. So even if I don’t brush my teeth I will quietly internally hector myself about it.

Don’t tell my rabbi, but pork Scratchings are delicious (who the hell prefers crisps, must have something wrong with them). Second only to the fried pigs ears i once had in Benidorm in terms of life shortening sinful deliciousness

Back
Top Bottom