Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In praise of M&S cabbage greens

Definitely makes a difference with kale, some varieties are really lush and sweet just eaten raw when they're fresh.

Chard's actually related to beetroot, not cabbage etc. It's one of the easiest things to grow though and practically indestructible, so strange that you can't find any. Last year I was giving it away by the bin bag!

With the slighly older stuff I used to like to steam it and then stir fry with a different liquids and flavours. Soy sauce garlic being a favorite. It shrinks so much you can eat a shed load.

My understanding is chard is really hard to sell fresh in good condition, which is why you only get it in better supermarkets.

As well as the farm we used to have access to Organic North which are a huge wholesaler of organic veg. Which could be pretty awesome.

My understanding is chard is really hard to sell fresh in good condition, which is why you only get it in better supermarkets.
That's a fair point, I tend to pick it and keep the stalks in water like cut flowers. The rainbow stuff even looks pretty in a nice vase :D

Tekka (miso and root veg powder) is my favourite way to liven up not-so-fresh green veg atm. Just steam and drain, then sprinkle a bit on top.

That's a fair point, I tend to pick it and keep the stalks in water like cut flowers. The rainbow stuff even looks pretty in a nice vase :D

Tekka (miso and root veg powder) is my favourite way to liven up not-so-fresh green veg atm. Just steam and drain, then sprinkle a bit on top.

I remember talking to my Dad about it and he was really surprised that people ate chard. They grew it as a decorative plant. And he remembered rationing and his Dad died really young, so it wasn't they had an abundance of food. Mind you he also called kale cattle food. :D

Tekka sounds awesome, I could probably make my own, but not sure I can be bothered. But I'll look out for it next time I go to wing yip.

Tekka sounds awesome, I could probably make my own, but not sure I can be bothered. But I'll look out for it next time I go to wing yip.
It's probably a massive faff doing it at home what with all the frying and boiling and drying, even if you can manage to find all the ingredients. Not cheap to buy but you only need a little bit so it lasts ages.

Back
Top Bottom