Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bulb energy - UK's biggest green supplier - becomes Octopus energy

The interest-free loans were back in the days of customers being billed quarterly in arrears - the utility companies were paying for your fuel and then hoping you'd pay them back. That's why they were so keen on people paying by direct debit.

They adjusted the repayments so that now there are times when you're subsidising their cash-flow...
Not doing a good job then looking at my statements over the past 2 years, Gas has oscillated betwen £300 (Jan) in the red to £28 in the red whereas electric has ranged down to about £50 in the red up to once when they owed me £3.75
They seem to be subsidising me a lot more than I'm subsidising them.

Not doing a good job then looking at my statements over the past 2 years, Gas has oscillated betwen £300 (Jan) in the red to £28 in the red whereas electric has ranged down to about £50 in the red up to once when they owed me £3.75
They seem to be subsidising me a lot more than I'm subsidising them.

Who are you with and are they any good?

Bulb seem nigh on impossible to contact as well as everything else.

Who are you with and are they any good?

Bulb seem nigh on impossible to contact as well as everything else.
British Gas, they've been OK as far as I'm concerned. bought my last boiler off them as well.

the fuck am I relying on the government for my interwebs!
There's a difference between state owned and state run. In the first case they would effectively carry on as they are now but with one shareholder (HM Government) to whom all dividends would be paid (taxing them would be unnecessary) however the board would be allowed to run the company with any interference from Westminster preferably banned by law. Freed from the need to meet short term pressure from investors, such companies would be able to take much longer views on things like investment and forward planning. I think this might very well turn out to be quite a good idea.
Companies being state run wherein the politicans are allowed to spread their glaring incompetence even further than they are now have generally been proven to be a recipe for disaster. That's why nationalised industries were such a cluster fuck back in the 70's. The Labour Govt were forever meddling in their internal affairs for short term political reasons. And tbh I suspect that would have eventually become a problem if Corbyn had got in and implemented his manifesto. He may very well have started with the best of intentions but somehow I can't see that he would have resisted the urge to stick his oar in especially under pressure from people like McCluskey or his own backbenchers.

There's a difference between state owned and state run. In the first case they would effectively carry on as they are now but with one shareholder (HM Government) to whom all dividends would be paid (taxing them would be unnecessary) however the board would be allowed to run the company with any interference from Westminster preferably banned by law. Freed from the need to meet short term pressure from investors, such companies would be able to take much longer views on things like investment and forward planning. I think this might very well turn out to be quite a good idea.

Lots of competing ISPs all owned by the government? That's not a good idea.

There would only be one why would they need to compete? Most of it is phony competition anyway, where they are all delivering the same service over the same cable to your house much like the competing gas and electric suppliers.
Unless you live in a city where there is Virgin (formerly C&W, formerly NTL), All the rest Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet, GiveUsUrDosh.net are running on BT managed infrastructure and creaming off the top.

There would only be one why would they need to compete?

ok you said they would effectively carry on as they are now but with one shareholder...

Most of it is phony competition anyway, where they are all delivering the same service over the same cable to your house much like the competing gas and electric suppliers.
Unless you live in a city where there is Virgin (formerly C&W, formerly NTL), All the rest Sky, TalkTalk, Plusnet, GiveUsUrDosh.net are running on BT managed infrastructure and creaming off the top.

No that's not how it works. For a start ISP's can install their own equipment in exchanges, as well as elsewhere. Additionally they run their own software, pricing, capping and usage policies.

ok you said they would effectively carry on as they are now but with one shareholder...

No that's not how it works. For a start ISP's can install their own equipment in exchanges, as well as elsewhere. Additionally they run their own software, pricing, capping and usage policies.
Why is that a good thing? It's not nessarily a bad thing, but why do you think it's a good thing that provides something that a single nationalised supplier couldn't or wouldn't?

Why is that a good thing? It's not nessarily a bad thing, but why do you think it's a good thing that provides something that a single nationalised supplier couldn't or wouldn't?

You said it's phony competition but it's not, they're all offering different levels of service and competing on numerous fronts. It's not analogous to the gas/electric/water markets at all.

And the public cost of sorting out just this one failure of the private energy market....

£1.7 BILLION

Like the phone infrastructure used to be run by BT, who had world class research. They were by no means perfect but splitting it all up in the name of 'competition was daft - like trains that all use the same tracks ... and energy companies that use the same wires. Huge duplication in advertising and legal fees and the like.

So Bulb becomes Octopus and the bosses all get their bulging pockets lined with loads o'lolly

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Octopus family.

Last night – at 11:58pm – Octopus purchased Bulb's energy supply business. I dearly hope this brings an end to over a year of uncertainty, and provides a good solution to UK taxpayers, the Bulb team, and, of course, to you.

I'm serious about that. For years, Bulb has stood for good value green energy with outstanding customer service. These are precisely the values Octopus was founded on, and you have my personal commitment we will deliver on them.

In terms of what happens next: we'll work hard to make this as straightforward and simple for you as possible. You'll still be supported by the same dedicated Bulb team and if you need anything simply contact Bulb, just as you usually would.

Over the next few months, we'll transfer you to our award-winning energy platform: you don't need to do anything.

There's no change to your supply and your balance will automatically transfer to Octopus. If you pay for your energy by top-up, your top-ups are working as normal. If you pay by Direct Debit, we'll move that over to Octopus at the appropriate time, so you won't need to lift a finger.

We'll let you know when your account is moving across to Octopus systems, and we'll share your new account details and help you get set up. Until then, you'll still be able to use your Bulb account and app, just as you have up to now.

If you want to keep up with how the process is going, we'll be refreshing our blog post regularly with the latest updates. You'll also find the legal details about the sale process, known as an “Energy Transfer Scheme”, in the attached notice.

I don't understand. I was with bulb about three years ago and got kicked off to southern (who ate up all the money I saved on bulb in only two months) when they went bust. . . How were bulb still going ?

I don't understand. I was with bulb about three years ago and got kicked off to southern (who ate up all the money I saved on bulb in only two months) when they went bust. . . How were bulb still going ?
"Too big to fail". They were propped up by the Government, as transferring their (large number of) customers to the remaining suppliers would have had a distorting effect.

Oldest story in the book - privatisation is supposed to transfer risk out of the public sector, in return for some profit. In practice, when it all goes wrong, the private sector gets to hand the risk back to the State, and keep the profits.

"Too big to fail". They were propped up by the Government, as transferring their (large number of) customers to the remaining suppliers would have had a distorting effect.

Oldest story in the book - privatisation is supposed to transfer risk out of the public sector, in return for some profit. In practice, when it all goes wrong, the private sector gets to hand the risk back to the State, and keep the profits.

But I was sent a letter saying they had gone bust three or four years ago. The website shut down and they turned off all their customer service lines. I was told all customers contracts had been moved to Scottish power by the government. So how was it they were still going? Did they start up again from scratch?

I'll be with this lot shortly. My previous supplier went bust as well. Wonderful game innit.

Actually applied for a job with Octopus a few years ago. As a customer service callcentre job, it looked pretty good TBF.

But I was sent a letter saying they had gone bust three or four years ago. The website shut down and they turned off all their customer service lines. I was told all customers contracts had been moved to Scottish power by the government. So how was it they were still going? Did they start up again from scratch?
I'm a Bulb customer, and everything carried on as normal for me. 🤷‍♂️

I'm a Bulb customer, and everything carried on as normal for me. 🤷‍♂️
So I guess some of us were forcibly removed and some were not? Why did the website and customer services shut down? I remember visiting the site and it was just a card telling me to wait for Scottish Power to be in touch. I assume I am remembering some of it wrong.
It was so annoying because I was in credit by a couple of hundred quid or so and paying about £50 a month. Within two months of being forced onto Scottish Power (I had to stick with them while they transferred all my accounts) and being made to pay DDs of £90pm they had somehow also draind the saved money and were demanding more. My my angle it literally looked like I just handed them £300

Last edited:
What absolute fuckers at Bulb. It makes me angry. these fuckers are so much worse than Tories even. Massive payouts to sweeten this deal costing taxpayer £3000 a year per Bulb customer. Thats twice my annual energy bill! All to administer them making money off me by doing fuck all. :mad:

The people who ran Bulb should be in jail not getting a payout.

Back
Top Bottom