Pah that's a short set ...

try these [that's 16 of 29]

CAS - sal : Caen Hill locks [2 of 2] par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

Caen Hill Lock flight on Wikipedia [better pics !]

Pah that's a short set ...

try these [that's 16 of 29]

CAS - sal : Caen Hill locks [2 of 2] par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

Caen Hill Lock flight on Wikipedia [better pics !]

Yes, that's impressive. But the ones at Foxton are narrow gauge and there are several passing/waiting areas in overflow pools on the way up/down the cut. So it's a long job navigating it. That said, there's a couple of really nice pubs at the bottom of the hill.

Yes, that's impressive. But the ones at Foxton are narrow gauge and there are several passing/waiting areas in overflow pools on the way up/down the cut. So it's a long job navigating it. That said, there's a couple of really nice pubs at the bottom of the hill.
I gather it takes about five hours to navigate Caen Hill itself, and to save water, they try to balance the up / down passages ...
I think there's a decent pub & moorings at the top [or was it at the bottom ? I really can't remember !]

Meh. Narrow gauge is much easier, they are like toy canals compared to broad canals in my experience.

The Wigan flight is 21 locks but has never seemed that hard to me really. Crossing the Pennines, where there aren't continuous lock flights as such, but you've got to do many many locks day after day, around 40 up and 40 down, is a lot harder than these short bursts of locks, in my experience. And it's all falling to bits too, sadly, completely knackered, difficult to move, leaking locks everywhere.

This conversation really making me miss our boat, maybe it will be useable again next year.

Last edited:
Meh. Narrow gauge is much easier, they are like toy canals compared to broad canals in my experience.

The Wigan flight is 21 locks but has never seemed that hard to me really. Crossing the Pennines, where there aren't continuous lock flights, but you've got to do many many locks day after day, around 40 up and 40 down, is a lot harder than these short bursts of locks, in my experience. And it's all falling to bits too, sadly, completely knackered, difficult to move, leaking locks everywhere.

This conversation really making me miss our boat, maybe it will be useable again next year.
I've only ever steered a narrowboat once, and that was a 70 ft bugger near Birmingham. By the way, there's also a nice lock at Audlem in North Staffordshire. My old dog jumped in and couldn't climb out again, so I had to haul her out and get drenched.

6793498_d23f7fcb_original.jpg

I've only ever steered a narrowboat once, and that was a 70 ft bugger near Birmingham. By the way, there's also a nice lock at Audlem in North Staffordshire. My old dog jumped in and couldn't climb out again, so I had to haul her out and get drenched.
I've done the Audlem locks - we once managed pretty much the whole Shropshire Union on our biggest push southwards one summer (which meant months doing very little work, fun but financially challenging at the time). I am rubbish at steering / mooring, I do the locks and my partner does the boaty stuff. My last dog died falling in the canal sadly - she was in her last few weeks of life with tumours, fell in, and tore muscles badly getting out, and it was time for the vet.

This thread is delightful, and bringing back a lot of childhood nostalgia. I grew up in Hillmorton, Rugby, right by the busy set of locks on the Oxford Canal there. Spent a lot of hours "helping" boaters get through the locks while my Dad and his mates were fishing.
Small world, I too have lived in Hillmorton (now Boughton Vale). Given how urban and built up the bulk of Rugby is, the canal makes a lovely change of pace for a walk (and it's my regular running route - flat is best!).

Back
Top Bottom