Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban boaties where are you?

Tarishta is going into her mooring at Brundall marina this weekend. so an anxious drive from our wood, with the dodgy trailor. She is a Valiant 18, bilge keel, built in the 70s.The outside has been cleaned and treated (anti-foul), including redoing the go-faster stripes (the same fetching colours as my childhood football team, the tangerine and blue of Oldham athletic), the strakes have been sanded and varnished and the new outboard (a 5hp mariner 500 ) has been fitted. Just cosmetic work in the galley still to do. Supposedly sleeps 4...but probably better with 2 adults and a child at a pinch.. To get onto the Broads (from the Yare), we have to go to Yarmouth...so a first dip in the North Sea. Have got life-jackets for grand-daughter and collie (who has been less keen on swimming than my girls. The dogs life-jacket was twice the cost of the child's.

Last edited:
I've got Nautical Channel now. We have spent hours watching surfing, sailing, the Prada Cup was exciting, and the off-shore powerboats were amazing, although the deep V seem more exciting.

Bloody hell - I hadn't known that the Mirror dinghy was an idea of "nail hardboard on your panelled doors" Barry Bucknell - in collaboration with a boat designer - and the key feature of it was having a blunt front end because making boats pointy is one of the most difficult parts .. if I actually buy a boat with a sail, it's going to be in France so unlikely to be a Mirror ...

Early days of course - the biggest issue for me is anything other than an inflatable kayak is going to mean running a car so I can tow it - since I'm not going to be in the large boat and marinas business ...

Another unique sort of Youtube channel and particularly poignant because he died of Covid while in South Africa - lovely couple sailing around the world relatively slowly - and so appropriate that his former profession was home improvement.

My brother and his mate just bought a small dinghy with a motor, we took it to a local canal bit for a small rowing powered cruise. Its good fun. Do they need the BSS certification, are they supposed to get the thing insured and so on? None of has a clue about this stuff and the .gov website while useful in some ways isn't specifically answering the questions we have regarding use of local waterways. BoatieBird thought of you while writing this post because iirc you're in the same county and might know the local water stuff regarding legalities and so on.

AFAIK you don't need any sort of safety cert for a boat like that DotCommunist. At least we didn't when we had a 'tender'* for our big boat.
Not sure about insurance.

* small row boat with an outbound.

Are they planning on keeping it on the water? If it's the sort of thing that you haul out and tow home at the end of the day I don't think they'll get much hassle.

It's great fun innit 😀

AFAIK you don't need any sort of safety cert for a boat like that @DotCommunist. At least we didn't when we had a 'tender'* for our big boat.
Not sure about insurance.
cheers, its useful to know
If it's the sort of thing that you haul out and tow home at the end of the day I don't think they'll get much hassle.
yeah, it gets deflated for storage. Looks like this but not as new looking:
4-1Z40Q5045Wb.jpg

It's great fun innit
tiring as well, but yes. Next time we're taking the motor which will spare my puny arms lol

I've just downloaded the Navily app. It looks good, but has anyone used it? What're your opinions?

cheers, its useful to know

yeah, it gets deflated for storage. Looks like this but not as new looking:
4-1Z40Q5045Wb.jpg

tiring as well, but yes. Next time we're taking the motor which will spare my puny arms lol
This guy's driving one of those all the way round the UK
(in stages mind, he's not completely insane. Been at it since Oct '19 and has made it from London to Torbay)

Just watching the Nautical Channel. There's a boat which is not properly moored in the marina. (There's an attractive woman in a short dress, but I noticed the boat first)

We had all sorts of fun and games. The boat is moored at the end of a looooong boardwalk...which the sheepdog refuses to walk on. Plus the mounting shaft is a tad short so it handles a bit sketchily. The launch, in winds and rain was a bit of a 'mare. (had to add the extra weight of my huge arse to keep it in the water). Grand-daughter steered into a tree. Yeah, it's great, even if we have generally just motored 400metres to the pub (which is on the other side of the river to the wood). Seeing as I wouldn't countenance the canoe, that's the first time I have ever been. Thankfully, Tony and Cliff, Norfolk legends, were not playing (Show me the way to Amarillo).

I've been looking at getting my own life jacket because at least that way I know how well it's been looked after. I saw this:

Screenshot_20210904-170125_Chrome.jpg

a camo life jacket. I suppose it's so sharks can't see you.

Anyone got any recommendations?

This should tell you what you need to know DotCommunist
You’re better off buying a British Canoe Union membership, you get more bang for your buck including licenses to canoe almost anywhere.

I've been looking at getting my own life jacket because at least that way I know how well it's been looked after. I saw this:

View attachment 286735

a camo life jacket. I suppose it's so sharks can't see you.

Anyone got any recommendations?
I have a couple of crewsaver life jackets and a couple of seago lifejackets. Most UK folks have Crewsaver. My seago ones are a bit overspecced for what I bought them for (tidal Trent), they have a harness that goes under your legs.

Back
Top Bottom