Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban boaties where are you?

Sort of part-time boater (narrowboat) here. It's my partner's and we used to spend about 50/50 time at my house and on the boat, but since covid (and also me buying a nicer, warmer house) the boat has been neglected rather and now needs a lot of work, both maintenance and just cleaning and tidying my partner's shit (left to his own devices he is totally feral). I love boats in the summer, but I fucking hate them in the winter tbh - they are so much work, and damp, and dirty and smoky (though that is probably just our knackered boat and bad habits). Really hope we can do a proper cruise this summer which has been impossible for a few years for various reasons, be amazing to get further south than Birmingham, but not sure can commit to that much boating.

Beautiful boat, heinous seamus. Tarishta is currently sitting on a trailer on the wood, awaiting much TLC. Although she is a neglected and unlovely fibreglass, double keeled nonentity, hiding under a bright orange tarp, some tender restoration will, I hope, improve her prospects no end.

I did my yacht master course at the Ravenglass Boating Association...including a residential weekend at Sellafield.

I don’t get out in small boats much now. This is where I’ll be working next week..
This thread’s come back to like...and coincidentally today I disembarked after 3 weeks on this ship

Attachments

• FD72BCB8-5635-4088-A090-4F98F7E4EFE3.jpeg
    FD72BCB8-5635-4088-A090-4F98F7E4EFE3.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 34
I can do the Spanish navigation course for about 150€. It's basic. But it does allow me to have a boat up to 6m although it restricts me to daylight and no more than 6km off shore. It's a cheap start. If I like it enough I'll do the full day skipper ticket.

I'm tempted to do the RYA navigation and radio courses regardless. I think they could be invaluable.

I done my Comp Crew/Day Skipper in Lanzarote. Well worth it.

I'm looking at doing at least part of the day skipper course - mainly for the practical navigation*. I can already handle a radio ...
I crew on a 1960s motorsailer. It sails like a brick ! but potters around at 4 or 5 knots quite happily.
*Mainly to keep my bezza on the right course. [/groan]

So Brittany appears to be back on - around 2023 - so long as I get my finger out and get the house sorted and emptied of my carp - and since I'm aiming for a seriously boaty area, (a ferry-ride from Brest) I've been doing a bit of research ...
I taught myself to ride/drive motorcycles and cars ... it remains to be seen how far I can get with boats ...

A kayak was always a dead cert because there's a lot of surf, and it's my nod towards surfing ....

Even though I eat a vegan diet, fishing and eating some of what I catch may well be on the cards - though learning to dive may yet put paid to that, - and I don't yet have much of a coherent dietary justification...
Anyway, it turns out Bic also make boats ...

sportyak1.jpeg

This young chap is blessed with an amazing location to use his - a million miles from the Breton coast in terms of potential death, but I reckon it has potential ... He sometimes sleeps in his (he's probably shorter than me) - and he has also found another use for it...

This is way out of my league - as well as looking rather scary - though he's reminded me that I will definitely need to at least learn about sailing... and he's escaped the UK and lives near where I'm hoping to live and sails the same waters...

Last edited:
20+ years ago I wanted to move to Normandy or Brittany but Mrs Dess didn't. Now we are settled in Spain she's suggesting we move to France.

I know Douarnenez from when I was in Quimper as a kid. Great area.

So Brittany appears to be back on - around 2023 - so long as I get my finger out and get the house sorted and emptied of my carp - and since I'm aiming for a seriously boaty area, (a ferry-ride from Brest) I've been doing a bit of research ...
I taught myself to ride/drive motorcycles and cars ... it remains to be seen how far I can get with boats ...

A kayak was always a dead cert because there's a lot of surf, and it's my nod towards surfing ....

Even though I eat a vegan diet, fishing and eating some of what I catch may well be on the cards - though learning to dive may yet put paid to that, - and I don't yet have much of a coherent dietary justification...
Anyway, it turns out Bic also make boats ...

View attachment 250583

This young chap is blessed with an amazing location to use his - a million miles from the Breton coast in terms of potential death, but I reckon it has potential ... He sometimes sleeps in his (he's probably shorter than me) - and he has also found another use for it...

This is way out of my league - as well as looking rather scary - though he's reminded me that I will definitely need to at least learn about sailing... and he's escaped the UK and lives near where I'm hoping to live and sails the same waters...

I've never been to Douarnenez, it does look great in that film. I wanted to move to Brittany about 30 years ago, used to go there a lot for windsurfing, further round the coast Carnac area, looked at a few ruined cottages and barns to buy, eventually used the money for mortgage in uk though...

I don't windsurf anymore, it's a bit too hardcore when you get older. I started sailing dinghies when I was a kid and the skills aren't too difficult to pick up. Roger Barnes, the fella in the second film above, his style of sailing is what I'd do now. It doesn't look too hairy, but having looked on google earth at the creek he was going to try to sail up, and seeing the waves from his boat, I wouldn't have tried it on that day either. He has published a good book about dinghy sailing.

The Bic dinghy, they are tough but very small. you'd have to be careful with what day what conditions.

Last edited:
My DT teacher at school also made his own fibreglass sailboats, which meant there was a "sailing club" at school. So I know how to do it, know my port from my starboard, my sheet from my stay etc.
Living on top of a hill in the middle of an enormous city does not make the watery life very accessible to me, so I watch people build boats on youtube instead, specifically:

SV Seeker Acorn to Arabella Sampson Boat Co
I have been on canal boats twice in my life and both times fell in the canal.

Last edited:
The prospect of getting back to bezza's motorsailer could be heaving into sight - topgallants just in view and may disappear back below the horizon yet again ...

That's a nice boat. How long did it take? What's the wood treated with? Tell me more, please.

Hard to estimate the time as we were only working on it occasionally. It didn't take too long but the main guy has been a boatbuilder for 40+ years so that probably sped things up a bit...

The design is the 'Auk' by Ian Oughtred. The hull is coated in epoxy (yeeuch) and two-part polyurethane paint (iirc).

I think it was 9 mm birch plywood so it bent easily enough. We didn't even steam the gunwhales which are Oregon pine or something similar - if you look closely you can see they've been cut in half at the front to allow them to bend.

Daughter has already been for a few short sails down the Yare. Tarishta is basically water-worthy but the inside has been stripped out and the electrics need some work. There are lots of small dinghies to be had - it is a huge part of life on the Broads - so finding a cheap boat is easy enough. I think daughter paid a coupla hundred for the trailer, 300 for the boat itself and a hundred for an outboard. Everything else is within our capabilities to do ourselves (although we are not in your league, heinous seamus). The hull has been cleaned and repainted this winter (she is still sitting under a tarp in the wood). We have registered grand-daughter with the Norfolk Broads Yacht Club in Wroxham - there are numerous courses for kids from 7+. Very much hoping to get out on the river...and by the Easter hols, we will have been vaccinated so can spend a week or so with daughter and grand-daughter, refitting the boat and preparing for launching on the Yare (at Postwick).

I think it was 9 mm birch plywood so it bent easily enough. We didn't even steam the gunwhales which are Oregon pine or something similar - if you look closely you can see they've been cut in half at the front to allow them to bend.
just looked again and I see planks...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom