Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russophobia, the Oligarchs and Russians living here etc

I suspect it's going to spend the next few years quietly rusting away in some obscure corner of San Diego harbour before being the subject of a long and expensive legal battle before being towed to the breakers yard.
i reckon it will be sailed by captain lee in his next series of below deck

I have no actual experience of the costs of running a superyacht but I would imagine even just tied up in the harbour they are going to burn through cash. The cruise ships they anchored up in the channel during the pandemic required about a hundred people aboard each one to keep them in a usable state. I would imagine that one of these yachts requires at least a couple of bodies to keep them maintained. I can't imagine the Port of San Diego is going to pay them nor the (ex)owners if they've been confiscated. If this war drags on then when their owners get them back they will be rotting hulks.
(((russian oligarchs)))

Proof positive that the world is slowly going fucking insane.

As Nato leaders gather in Madrid for a summit playing out in the shadow of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the spotlight has landed on a ubiquitous staple found in bars and restaurants across Spain: Russian salad.

International officials and journalists were bemused to find the salad – a combination of potatoes, mayonnaise and vegetables known as ensaladilla Rusa – being sold as “potatoes salad Russian style” at the summit venue.

“Russian salad at a Nato summit? I’m a little surprised by that choice of dish,” the journalist Iñaki López told the Spanish media outlet la Sexta.

Russian salad on a menu at the Nato summit media centre restaurant.

Russian salad on a menu at the Nato summit media centre restaurant. Photograph: Sabine Siebold/Reuters
While the name did little to dampen its popularity – the dish reportedly sold out in hours – within a day it had been renamed, with the menu now listing it as “traditional salad”.

The Spanish chef José Andrés went one step further, adding tomato dumplings and calling the dish Ukrainian salad in a show of solidarity at the dinner he coordinated for visiting defence and foreign ministers on Tuesday.

It was an extension of a rebrand that began last month when Andrés announced he would change the dish’s name at all his restaurants, joining a wave of bars and restaurants to have done so in recent months.

Among the first was Mesón Martín, a three-decade old restaurant in the northern city of Zaragoza. “Friends, we’ve decided to change the name of the famous salad,” the restaurant announced on social media in late February. “From today, you will find the Kyiv salad on our menu, in solidarity with the people of Ukraine.”

Read the full story by Ashifa Kassam here: ‘I’m a little surprised’: Nato summit venue in Madrid serves ‘Russian salad’

Unsurprisingly, lots of filthy luchre/Russian assets in London:

"[F]ailure from ministers to take effective action meant Russian assets "laundered" through the City of London were being used to finance Vladimir Putin's war chest.

A highly critical report said "inadequate preparation and foresight" by the leadership of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FDCO) meant the government was slow to impose sanctions, adding that it was "shameful" it had taken a war for ministers to introduce the Economic Crime (Transparency and Enforcement) Act 2022."

'Shameful' inaction from ministers still allows Russian 'dirty money' to flow through UK, says report

Poor misunderstood billionaires and the crooked politicians who facilitate their boss's warcrimes.

Proof positive that the world is slowly going fucking insane.

As Nato leaders gather in Madrid for a summit playing out in the shadow of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the spotlight has landed on a ubiquitous staple found in bars and restaurants across Spain: Russian salad.

International officials and journalists were bemused to find the salad – a combination of potatoes, mayonnaise and vegetables known as ensaladilla Rusa – being sold as “potatoes salad Russian style” at the summit venue.

“Russian salad at a Nato summit? I’m a little surprised by that choice of dish,” the journalist Iñaki López told the Spanish media outlet la Sexta.

Russian salad on a menu at the Nato summit media centre restaurant.

Russian salad on a menu at the Nato summit media centre restaurant. Photograph: Sabine Siebold/Reuters
While the name did little to dampen its popularity – the dish reportedly sold out in hours – within a day it had been renamed, with the menu now listing it as “traditional salad”.

The Spanish chef José Andrés went one step further, adding tomato dumplings and calling the dish Ukrainian salad in a show of solidarity at the dinner he coordinated for visiting defence and foreign ministers on Tuesday.

It was an extension of a rebrand that began last month when Andrés announced he would change the dish’s name at all his restaurants, joining a wave of bars and restaurants to have done so in recent months.

Among the first was Mesón Martín, a three-decade old restaurant in the northern city of Zaragoza. “Friends, we’ve decided to change the name of the famous salad,” the restaurant announced on social media in late February. “From today, you will find the Kyiv salad on our menu, in solidarity with the people of Ukraine.”

Read the full story by Ashifa Kassam here: ‘I’m a little surprised’: Nato summit venue in Madrid serves ‘Russian salad’
I think this just shows how out of control Russian imperialism is at the moment. That's clearly a Czech bramborový salad. Soon Yorkshire puddings will be Moscow cakes :mad:

Which thread can the link to the direct channel of communication with the Ukrainians be found on? Do you receive feedback regarding this support?

If you want, I'll ask the two Ukrainians I've spent the day driving around if they feel supported.

Which is? We're not mindreaders. If there's something you want to say, say it. This mealy mouthedness is really tedious and pointless.
I think you know, but if you insist: support for Ukraine, or anybody else, has no effect whatsoever when confined to an internet forum. Comforting for the 'supporter', but about as effective as cheering on a football team while watching in a pub.

I think you know, but if you insist: support for Ukraine, or anybody else, has no effect whatsoever when confined to an internet forums. Comforting for the 'supporter', but about as effective as cheering on a football team while watching in a pub.
I didn't know what you were going to say. But that ^ is so self-evident that I'm not really sure why you bothered saying it tbh. :confused:

I didn't know what you were going to say. But that ^ is so self-evident that I'm not really sure why you bothered saying it tbh. :confused:
A bit like the way it puzzles me that you occasionally spend a few posts asking me why I bother posting.

Surely you'd be better ignoring me.

A bit like the way it puzzles me that you occasionally spend a few posts asking me why I bother posting.

Surely you'd be better ignoring me.
No, I ask you why you copy and paste or link to stuff without saying what you think or why when you do say stuff, it's mealy mouthed. It's a discussion board and copy and paste odyssies or deliberately opaque comments get in the way of discussion. And given the amount of this stuff you come out with, I think it's reasonable to point out that's not okay.

No, I ask you why you copy and paste or link to stuff without saying what you think or why when you do say stuff, it's mealy mouthed. It's a discussion board and copy and paste odyssies or deliberately opaque comments get in the way of discussion. And given the amount of this stuff you come out with, I think it's reasonable to point out that's not okay.
I must admit that I get a disappointed teacher 'vibe' from many of your replies.

Back
Top Bottom