Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russian anti war movement

Trouble is they probably won't. Even if the current regime falls most will be kept on by the next government. :(
Watch as the protests snowball. OK, they've arrested 10,000. Can they arrest 50,000? 100,000? Sooner or later, the protests will reach the point where they cannot be policed. Perhaps the police will resort to greater brutality, but that will only feed the protests, as people realise that only be completely overwhelming the policing can they stand free.

This could unravel quite quickly. At least, I hope so - the faster it can happen, the less scope there is for brutality before it reaches a point where it isn't possible to police any more.

Watch as the protests snowball. OK, they've arrested 10,000. Can they arrest 50,000? 100,000? Sooner or later, the protests will reach the point where they cannot be policed. Perhaps the police will resort to greater brutality, but that will only feed the protests, as people realise that only be completely overwhelming the policing can they stand free.

This could unravel quite quickly. At least, I hope so - the faster it can happen, the less scope there is for brutality before it reaches a point where it isn't possible to police any more.
I wonder that myself, see my post about numbers above.

It happened in Rumania at the end of the Ceausescu period where the government kept trying to use the police on the streets almost to the end (I was trying to find a piece of video I saw of police riot overhead formations getting pushed back into a government building (Parliament?)) and overwhelmed by the crowds. In most other places, either the government folded and gave up or the police were replaced by military who either killed enough people to force to the protests of the street or kicked off a civil war.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on what the generational ramifications will look like in Russia with Putin's assault on liberties in the country? Are the young people going to save Russia? I watched this interview with Ekaterina Kotrikadze and she never spoke of it from the angle of demographics, that I remember. It just seems to beg the question. Will the internet age kids put up with a reversion to iron curtain life?

More reports of stuff from extremely brave people:
During the pro-Ukrainian rally on February 28, a car with the inscriptions “This is war”, “Putin is scum” and “People, get up” rammed a police cordon on Pushkin square in Moscow and caught fire after the collision. The vehicle was quickly surrounded by snowplows, the driver was arrested, his name is not yet known. In general, the security forces are clearly hiding information about this incident, only fragmentary information has become public - for example, this short video. There is also very little information about the 22-year-old student Anastasia Levashova detained for attack on the cops with an incendiary cocktail at anti-war protest in the Moscow downtown three days before. But that was only the beginning!

On the night of March 1, two guys 17 and 18 y/o tried to set fire to a police station in Smolensk. A fire broke out from the Molotov cocktail, they were captured. According to official media, the reason for the arson was "the increased destructive impact of Ukrainian intelligence on the Russian information space": they allegedly "received an offer to commit a crime from a friend who motivated this by easy earning of 60,000 rubles". On the published video, the detainees gave the testimony as needed to the security forces, the torture methods of obtaining which are not secret.

On the night of March 3, in Voronezh, an unknown one threw an inflammable mixture into the window of the military recruitment office. No one was not arrested. "I painted the gate in the colors of the Ukrainian flag and wrote: 'I'm not going to kill my brothers!', after which I climbed over the fence, doused the facade with gasoline, broke the windows and sent Molotov cocktails into them," the person who did it anonymously said. The purpose of the arson was to destroy the archive with the personal files of conscripts. This should prevent mobilization in the district. See video from him.

Also in Moscow, a 36-year-old local resident threw two Molotovs towards the Kremlin wall and scattered leaflets against the war. Now he is arrested under Article 213 of the Criminal Code - "hooliganism". The name of this brave man is unknown.

24-year-old bartender Zakhar Tatuyko was arrested in St. Petersburg. According to investigators, at an anti-war rally, he sprayed pepper ballon in the face of cop, and not ordinary, but the commander of a special regiment! We do not know whether Zakhar really committed it, but the step itself certainly deserves admiration. The source is here.
ETA: It's linked to in the quoted text anyway, but if anyone would like to watch the footage of a military recruitment office going up in flames, it's here:

Elephant in the Room have been great for coverage of Eastern Europe stuff, looking forward to getting around to listening to this.

I don't know what "* ***" replaced.

A (peace) activist has been detained in Ivanovo, Russia, during a single picket with a poster saying "* ***". The police protocol mentions the article on discrediting the Russian military - part 1 of article 20.3.3 of the Code of Administrative Offenses.

More voices from Russia:

Even as Russian forces continue their brutal assault on Ukraine, a growing domestic uprising is challenging the empire from within. This episode of the Ex-Worker focuses on the anti-war movement in Russia, analyzing it from an anarchist perspective and assessing the regime’s power and vulnerability. The episode opens with a call to action from the March 6th day of protest across Russia and a summary of militant direct actions against the war machine. An anarchist in the provinces shares a first-person reflection on the evolution of the anti-authoritarian movement and its prospects in today’s crisis, while an analysis from Autonomous Action considers Putin’s miscalculations, the information war, international dynamics, and possibilities for resistance. An independent journalist discusses the nature of the protests, police responses, migration and diaspora, censorship, the role of NATO, and lessons to learn from the invasion and the protest movement. We close out with a Syrian refugee collective’s reflections on how their experiences in the Syrian revolution and civil war can inform how international observers relate to the conflict. And just for fun, we throw in some hair-raising Russian songs related to protest and war. We’ll continue our coverage of the crises in Ukraine and Russia—and much more—in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.
Not all of it's new, but some of it is - think I'd not seen the full statement from the person who molotoved the recruiting office before:
The other day, I set fire to the military registration and enlistment office in the city of Lukhovitsy, Moscow Region, and filmed it on gopro. [ I] painted the gate in the colors of the Ukrainian flag and wrote: “I will not go to kill my brothers!” After which [ I] climbed over the fence, doused the facade with gasoline, broke the windows and sent Molotov cocktails into them. The goal was to destroy the archive with the personal files of recruits, it is located in this part. This should prevent mobilization in the district. I hope that I will not see my classmates in captivity or lists of the dead.

I think it needs to be expanded. Ukrainians will know that in Russia they are fighting for them, not everyone is afraid and not everyone is indifferent. Our protesters need to be inspired and act more decisively. And this should further break the spirit of the Russian army and government. Let these motherfuckers know that their own people hate them and will extinguish them. The earth will soon begin to burn under their feet, hell awaits at home too.

Unless a lot of people arrive in a short space of time, looks like the police will prevent any organised demonstration before it starts, picking them off one by one as they arrive.

not new (2016), but a beautifully written take on life in russia by lev rubinstein, a russian poet & writer who has been a dissident since the seventies. also one of the few 'prominent culture figures' to stand behind support for lgbt people in occupied eastern ukraine (2017)

Freedom, resistance, solidarity and LGBT

This really does seem to be a Russian pilot saying to his passengers "the war in Ukraine is a crime." He repeats this in English.

A Russian pilot tells passengers that he believes “the war in Ukraine is a crime,” adding “I think each sensible citizens will agree with me and will do everything to make it stop.” Rare to see public opposition to the war given the consequences such a statement will have

Well... any uprising is gonna need some new tactics. Spontaneous night-time riots?

"Google translate: In the centre of Moscow, a picketer with a placard "Two Words" was detained. And after her - a girl who decided to tell a journalist that she was "satisfied" with a "special operation" in Ukraine. Putin's Russia is a wonderful country. Everyone will be in the car."

Back
Top Bottom