Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand: rape and sexual abuse allegations, grifting and general dodginess - discussion

The only reason for pause that I have with respect to Brand is that I have heard him described as having bipolar. I don't know if this is true though, but if it is, it might explain some of his behaviour, not to excuse it, just ..

The only reason for pause that I have with respect to Brand is that I have heard him described as having bipolar. I don't know if this is true though, but if it is, it might explain some of his behaviour, not to excuse it, just ..

I don’t know much about bipolar to be honest. Maybe that explains some of his hyperactivity. But I do know this it doesn’t explain misogyny, sexual aggression and all that is alleged.

I don’t know much about bipolar to be honest. Maybe that explains some of his hyperactivity. But I do know this it doesn’t explain misogyny, sexual aggression and all that is alleged.
Unfortunately untreated Bipolar can cause increased sexual activity and things like promiscuity .. when people are hypermanic or manic .

There are levels of the condition where people just become hypomanic and can still function broadly without meds. But the character changes are still there ..

Last edited:
The increased sex drive, the pressure of speech, the promiscuity, being attracted to conspiracies, the lack of boundaries, and arguably a bit of a god complex, plus losing his temper if he doesn't get his own way ..

I won't go on, but it makes some sense to me.

Doesn't excuse his behaviour, but might partly explain it.

However I was only manic in public for a short time before I was sectioned. I have bipolar 1 which means my manic phase leads to psychosis at which point I am a danger to myself and others. Because of this I am always on meds now.

There are levels of the condition where people just become hypomanic and can still function broadly without meds. But the character changes are still there .. your candidness does you Credit.
And trying to understand what’s going on with Brand. Obviously as well we are all influenced by the prevailing culture, patriarchy or whatever you know. I’m not by any means claiming to be totally conscious about this stuff which may inform how behaviour manifests during an episode I guess. but ultimately there is agency. And he does not seem like someone who is taking ownership of that. Just egocentric narcissism indulged by others that let him get away with these things. Never mind criminal allegations just the way he comes across is gross.

I think I heard an interview with the then 16 year old on BBC R4, she is now 30 odd, I was doing other things at the time so didn't hear if she was going to go to the police.

Anyhow, illness or not I still think Brand is a smug arrogant wanker, I hope he gets his comeuppance one way or another. I suppose at the moment with his loss of income there is some punishment at least in one way.

I’d want him to face justice for rape and sexual assault. Being a smug, arrogant wanker isn’t a crime.

(though I wouldn’t object to some other form of karma for the latter)

Back
Top Bottom