Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Robert Fisk has died.

Must admit most of the stuff I've read of his - going back 20 years or so - seemed like drunk ramblings. I've not been moved to look back any further.

I read a big chunk of his The Great War for Civilization.

Gave up in the end. Read like a Wetherspoon's Kapuściński. Clearly saw some interesting stuff in some interesting places at interesting times though.

Reactions: tim
RIP. A lot of his stuff was questionable, but judged against most of the rest of modern British hackery he was probably one of the better ones.

VERY SAD NEWS THAT ROBERT FISK HAS DIED.
NOT MANY OTHER JOURNALISTS OF HIS ILK CAN BE SAID TO HAVE STOOD UP & EXPOSED THE HORRORS OF ZIONISM AND WESTERN NEO COLONIALISM !
HE ALONG WITH HIS ENCYCLOPEDIC KNOWLDGE AND CLOSE TO PROPHETIC INTUITION WILL BE WELL MISSED !
🙁

REST IN POWER !
✊

There was some controversy among war correspondents a while ago when they thought Fisk was making things up. He seemed to be in two different places at times when he couldn't have travelled between them, and his access seemed implausible. One of the journalists was quoted as saying "he makes it up". Which is not something you often hear from a journalist about a colleague.

I met Robert Fisk in Beirut a couple of times in the early 1980s, was even mentioned by name in a piece in the New York Times once. It was a time when you couldn’t accurately watch what was going on without forming an opinion. His reporting and his books were sometimes labelled biassed but anybody who was there in those years could see that he was telling the truth of a very heavily imbalanced situation. A very brave man.

I met Robert Fisk in Beirut a couple of times in the early 1980s, was even mentioned by name in a piece in the New York Times once. It was a time when you couldn’t accurately watch what was going on without forming an opinion. His reporting and his books were sometimes labelled biassed but anybody who was there in those years could see that he was telling the truth of a very heavily imbalanced situation. A very brave man.
Surprisingly down to earth and VERY funny

Back
Top Bottom