Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mikhail Gorbachev has died

Not in understanding Putin's politics of national reassertion.
I don't see why not, being as stalin was quite into Russian reassertion and regaining formerly Russian lands. Sure, putin puts a different spin on it. But stalin never came out and said 'I want all the lands formerly in the tsarist empire', he just went and took most of them when the opportunity arose

The context here is in people on social media conflating Stalinism and Soviet imperialism with Putin's own politics and the contemporary motivations of the Russian state. But, I'm not playing this game any further. Find someone else.
It's an easy conflation and there is of course an element of truth within it. But it's daft to take any simplification people use on social media as the whole truth. As for your not playing this game any further don't delude yourself, you're playing it as long as you post here, just as we all are

I think on reading up on this, no such promise was made beyond an offhand comment by Kissinger over drinks or something. It's a narrative but I'm not sure the evidence is there. It's murky at best, is probably a fair assessment.
I remember it well from that time. It’s a Western Capitalist narrative that it wasn’t a serious deal. Something that was superseded by events. But that is bollocks.

I remember it well from that time. It’s a Western Capitalist narrative that it wasn’t a serious deal. Something that was superseded by events. But that is bollocks.
Do you have a source other than the declassified documents posted above? News reports, anything like that?

It's an easy conflation and there is of course an element of truth within it.
It might be an easy conflation, but comparing Stalin and Putin is the laziest fucking comparison. If they weren't both Russian (or Georgian in Stalin's case) I doubt it would be the first connection anyone would make. It's just having a cursory glance at the situation and not seeing the trees for the wood.

Sorry but no. I do recollect the reportage clearly. I followed the news avidly.
I don't, though I do remember a lot of earnest discussions by serious people in suits about what it all meant for old power relations.

The declassified docs that related to dealings with Yeltsin's government suggest that over time good intentions soured into bad faith. Yeltsin sold the country and as conditions didn't improve for most Russians he started blaming the west (with some justification) for what was as much to do with his own drunken mismanagement and corruption. Which chimes with what I remember personally from the time tbh.

I don't, though I do remember a lot of earnest discussions by serious people in suits about what it all meant for old power relations.

The declassified docs that related to dealings with Yeltsin's government suggest that over time good intentions soured into bad faith. Yeltsin sold the country and as conditions didn't improve for most Russians he started blaming the west (with some justification) for what was as much to do with his own drunken mismanagement and corruption. Which chimes with what I remember personally from the time tbh.
Russian social and economic collapse under Yeltsin wasn't simply due to his drunken mismanagement. I doubt if he personally had much to do with economic policy, which was guided by free-market zealots acting on the advice of western economists. Nor did Yeltsin have much of a problem with Russia's reduced status and role in the world until those around him, including some of the free-market zealots, began thinking, with the bombing of Serbia and continuing eastwards expansion of NATO, that the west was rubbing their noses in it.

Russian social and economic collapse under Yeltsin wasn't simply due to his drunken mismanagement. I doubt if he personally had much to do with economic policy, which was guided by free-market zealots acting on the advice of western economists. Nor did Yeltsin have much of a problem with Russia's reduced status and role in the world until those around him, including some of the free-market zealots, began thinking, with the bombing of Serbia and continuing eastwards expansion of NATO, that the west was rubbing their noses in it.
Yegor Gaidar had a 500 day plan to turn Russia into a western-style free market economy. In just 500 days! Kool-aid was on the menu in that case, you may be sure of it.

The old line about dismantling the command economies was that it was like trying to turn a bowl of fish soup back into the aquarium from which it had been made. Well, maybe they should have done something else with the soup - used it to make a risotto, for example.

Yegor Gaidar had a 500 day plan to turn Russia into a western-style free market economy. In just 500 days! Kool-aid was on the menu in that case, you may be sure of it.

The old line about dismantling the command economies was that it was like trying to turn a bowl of fish soup back into the aquarium from which it had been made. Well, maybe they should have done something else with the soup - used it to make a risotto, for example.
Iirc. Gaidar was one of those free-market zealots who warned NATO not to expand to Russia's borders, not least because it could provoke a reaction that would derail his plans.

It might be an easy conflation, but comparing Stalin and Putin is the laziest fucking comparison. If they weren't both Russian (or Georgian in Stalin's case) I doubt it would be the first connection anyone would make. It's just having a cursory glance at the situation and not seeing the trees for the wood.
Thats what people do all the time on social media but you don't do reading posts do you because if you did you wouldn't be basically telling me what I said. Here's a thought, why not read the whole post in future and not just the first sentence.

Last edited:
You have to put these things in perspective, though. Gorbachev wasn't in sole control of events, and faced much opposition in the Politbureau and in the wider bureaucracy. As early as 1986, he'd hardly got started on reform, so things were carrying on largely as usual. By 1990-91 he was facing opposition from those who could see the breakup of the USSR looming. While he also opposed it, it is far from clear that he was making all the decisions. I was in the SU during the Vilnius events, and in the month before, and remember quite clearly the appointment of the 'hardliner' Yannaev, and the dramatic resignation of Shevardnadze, who warned of the coming 'reaction', which did indeed come the following August. Whatever his faults, Gorbachev faced an increasingly difficult situation in that period, trying to navigate his way between opposing factions as the prospect of economic and social collapse loomed, and may have felt he had to take actions he would have preferred not to.

He is no more a murderer than any other world leader who takes decisions that lead to repression and bloodshed. There have, as we know, been plenty. There will be plenty more.

Thats what people do all the time on social media but you don't do reading posts do you because if you did you wouldn't be basically telling me what I said. Here's a thought, why not read the whole post in future and not just the first sentence.
Yeah, that's fair enough.

It pisses me off too when people quote part of a post and only reply to that bit, ignoring the rest. I was reading a comic and only half paying attention :)

I think this is part of the problem with western views of Russia, that the people themselves are too dumb and unenlightened enough that they deserve no less than condescension dressed up as concern. Popular support for the USSR was at its highest during the Stalin era, when a Soviet society in flux was also at its most repressive.

The social upheaval of that time and the dynamism of the industrial transformation saw enthusiastic participation alongside constant propaganda about those working to undermine it, constant threats to their own personal stakes in the promise and opportunity Stalinism offered. You can have the above as a genuine part of Soviet experience and also the reality of state repression and terror simultaneously occurring.
I'm not saying that all the people are or were dumb and unenlightened. Some would have been, exposed as they were to constant propaganda. Others would have been too cowed by abusive hierarchical power. I would argue that the non-Russian half of the population were generally unconvinced by the USSR and Stalin, to put it mildly. So there was some genuine support for Stalin, some enthusiasm, a lot of acquiescence. Outside of the Great Russian heartlands the enthusiasm was vanishingly small.

Last edited:

Funnily enough, I read an interview with Yavlinsky (who was one of the authors of the 500 day plan) today "I believe in a new Russia but Putin is going nowhere" - Index on Censorship

Incidentally,
I'm not saying that all the people are or were dumb and unenlightened. Some would have been, exposed as they were to constant propaganda. Others would have been too cowed by abusive hierarchical power. I would argue that the non-Russian half of the population were generally unconvinced by the USSR and Stalin, to put it mildly. So there was some genuine support for Stalin, some enthusiasm, a lot of acquiescence. Outside of the Great Russian heartlands that was vanishingly small.
How do you know that support for Stalin was vanishingly small outside the Great Russian heartlands? I'm not saying it wasn't, but what proof do you have?

Being exposed to constant propaganda doesn't necessarily make you dumb and unenlightened. Being used to despots, the people of Russia and its periphery know how to navigate these things in a way we don't. And this might magnify the human tendency to believe multiple things at the same time. It seems, for instance, that many Soviet citizens simultaneously acknowledged that they were oppressed and celebrated the achievements of the USSR, built by their own hands under duress.

Is Gorbachev the perfect exemplar of the adage that all political careers ultimately end in failure? Little of what he wanted materialised, at least in the way he would have chosen it to. He must have ended his life with a certain amount of despair and regret, although I suspect he might have been more worried about the state of his insides during the last decade or so.

Russian social and economic collapse under Yeltsin wasn't simply due to his drunken mismanagement.
Of course not but his drunken mismanagement and corruption made the chaos immeasurably worse, and also gave him an urgent need to point the finger of blame. It's the stock-in trade of the incompetent since time immemorial, blame someone else. And Yeltsin was, utterly incompetent (unless you were after a cheap mine or factory I guess)

Back
Top Bottom