Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rishi Sunak’s time is up!

Dunno about pissed, heard he was more of a coke man.
Pisstaking would probably depend on whether the subject of poor people came up.
What do you think his view of ‘poor people’ is? His creation of furlough was certainly pretty strong evidence of support for people who could not work and of small business, of which he’s a massive supporter. What did he do as chancellor to make you say he’d take the piss out of ‘poor people’?

What do you think his view of ‘poor people’ is? His creation of furlough was certainly pretty strong evidence of support for people who could not work and of small business, of which he’s a massive supporter. What did he do as chancellor to make you say he’d take the piss out of ‘poor people’?

I think furlough was more of a Boris creation, much like the disastrous "borrow to cut taxes" plan was much more Truss than Kwarteng in origin.

As for his view of poor people...

I think furlough was more of a Boris creation, much like the disastrous "borrow to cut taxes" plan was much more Truss than Kwarteng in origin.

Don’t be daft, he was chancellor at that point. Whilst obviously they would have worked together, he’d have either made the decisions or had significant influence.

Re the clip- yes that doesn’t sound great, but I’d be very wary of judging him based on a 50s clip taken out of context on the Guardian

Sunak tried to resist lockdowns on multiple occasions and the resulting delays cost lives. During the previous leadership campaign he started moaning about this and made his deadly pandemic attitudes perfectly clear.

Once lockdowns became unavoidable he had little choice but to offer economic support. And once that step had been taken, he of course wanted to make use of it to improve his reputation. He is still happy to do this, he wants to have his cake and eat it, as long as it isnt Johnsons birthday cake.

I doubt it. He’s teetotal, practicing Hindu, very family oriented, and from what I’ve read quite principled. Even if you disagree with his politics. His Dad sounds like a legend.
It's the people who cultivate that ascetic reputation who are the worst behind closed doors

Sunak tried to resist lockdowns on multiple occasions and the resulting delays cost lives. During the previous leadership campaign he started moaning about this and made his deadly pandemic attitudes perfectly clear.

Once lockdowns became unavoidable he had little choice but to offer economic support. And once that step had been taken, he of course wanted to make use of it to improve his reputation. He is still happy to do this, he wants to have his cake and eat it, as long as it isnt Johnsons birthday cake.
His job at that point was literally to advocate about what was best for the economy. The lockdown decisions were an ‘impossible’ balance between people dying of covid, and people dying because the economy tanked. The Government had to balance that, and in my view (and god knows I hate Boris) did that pretty well.

And there have been a few efforts from him to smooth things over with the markets...

His job at that point was literally to advocate about what was best for the economy. The lockdown decisions were an ‘impossible’ balance between people dying of covid, and people dying because the economy tanked. The Government had to balance that, and in my view (and god knows I hate Boris) did that pretty well.

Its a false argument. Delaying lockdowns only ended up making them harsher and longer, increasing economic damage, decreasing peoples confidence in resuming economic activity. There are some studies about this which I dont have to hand at the moment.

This false argument will have other longer chapters too, as the effects of things like long covid on the economy (via reduced workforce) continue to form part of the picture of our current economic woe.

Eat out to help out was another disaster. Some of this stuff will come up again in the public inquiry, but the extent to which such revelations damage Sunak in office remains to be seen.

You’re just making stuff up which is embarrassing. Judge people on what they do or say, not this waffle.
You asked me what I think he's hiding. I think he's hiding all manner of sins. That's my opinion, that's what you asked me. If we're going to judge you it'll be on things like your incredible faith in tory politicians

Back
Top Bottom