Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reforming House of Lords

which means the whole thing is fucked, cos the tories'll talk it out.
that's a result though - the more parliamentary time gets taken up with that, the less time they have for closing fucking Remploy factories and the rest...

So, what exactly are the Lib Dems getting out of this coalition then? Their cherished PR was fucked up by the referendum when they suggested something that people didn't want - a vote on pure PR might have won in a referendum - but the Tories weren't in favour of that. Now they go for Lords reform - suggesting a 15 year term! and only 80% elected - and the Tories manage to block that too as they aren't interested in Lords reform - the only thing the backbenches and rebels seem to want is a general election - convinced that they have now truly fucked the Lib Dems as an electoral force and an election will deliver a Tory victory and more juicy cabinet seats for Tories that were stolen from them by the Lib Dems

that's a result though - the more parliamentary time gets taken up with that, the less time they have for closing fucking Remploy factories and the rest...
Ooh look, it was a plan all along. OK, why were you previously opposed to this happening and saving Remploy etc?

I wish i knew the answer to why the lib dems are so hell bent on reform especially clegg?

There seems to be a hope that watered down reforms could still be passed. There is an article about it here and here. Maybe a 50/50 elected/sortition would make it more direct and representative while still being less a threat to the primacy of the HoC.

It depends if you feel that it serves the ends to be against all efforts to improve a system which is still oppressive, or whether it is more important to finally introduce a check on power.

The big problem with an elected Upper House is that sooner or later - and likely sooner - an elected member is going to say, "I have a mandate from my electors to do X; I was elected on this platform." Cue crisis.

Let me put forward the start of an idea:

1. The Upper House is now called the Senate, members are Senators. Senators are wholly appointed.
2. There are Senators Spiritual (widened to more than the CoE), Legal, and Military, just as now, perhaps more formalised.
3. MPs who have been members of the Privy Council, Speaker, or have served for 20+ years and have chaired a Select Committee may become members upon retirement or losing their seat in the Commons.
4. MPs and recently ex-MPs may become Senators by appointment by the Prime Minister (as at present). Note that the PM may not appoint people who are not MPs or recently ex-MPs. That should cut down on the selling of honours.
5. There should be an independent commission to appoint Senators from outside the political arena who should be leaders of their fields and are prepared to contribute. There should be a limited number of such Senators and those who make up the recommending body should be forbidden from political appointments and positions for 20 years.
6. Just as in the Roman Senate, Senators should be subject to review, and those who do not ahem Ashcroft or cannot participate should lose their positions.
7. Public disgrace ahem Archer should also result in losing one's seat.
8. ...

It's not much, but it's better than what's been presented.

Labour fucked up on Lords reform - had a massive majority, could have done it , but ended up still having unelected peers and lords and bishops:facepalm:

I think the house of Lords should revert to a body entirely controlled by power-hungry feudal lords.

Back
Top Bottom