Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

referees in the world cup

There was a TV programme here (yesterday?) which showed that the technology already exists, that it works and that there is little, other than prejudice against it, to stop it being introduced.

Although I agree that the Lampard incident does give rise to more people coming out in favour of the technology, I have never seen why it isn't possible to introduce it, at the very least for games at this level.

One of the arguments I've read here is that it would mean football at the top level was different to the casual/amateur game. Not an argument I've ever bought, truth be told. Hawkeye gets used in a number of sports, Rugby Union uses video refs for contentious tries and so on.

One of the arguments I've read here is that it would mean football at the top level was different to the casual/amateur game. Not an argument I've ever bought, truth be told. Hawkeye gets used in a number of sports, Rugby Union uses video refs for contentious tries and so on.

Exactly, and at this level it is, surely, very important that the Ref can back up his decisions. Or is that the point? The Ref is god, and, therefore, above having to explain anything.

Except they're not, are they? Ghana's isn't crap, and Nigeria's is outstandingly good. For starters. The two worst goalkeeping performances so far have arguably been Green and Sorenson, both European, both from the English Premier League.

You're an ignorant fool.

They really are which you would know if you'd watched any of the African Nations Cup. The Cameroon keeper has trouble catching anything at all.

They really are which you would know if you'd watched any of the African Nations Cup. The Cameroon keeper has trouble catching anything at all.

You said 'African keepers are crap'. On the basis of what? Having seen some dodgy keeping from Africans. Yet you simply ignore the good African keepers. Would you say that European keepers are crap on the basis of Thomas Sorensen's performance?

You appear to need a crash-course in logic:

Socrates is a Greek.

This man is a Greek.

Therefore this man is Socrates...

Is LOGIC FAIL!

Exactly, and at this level it is, surely, very important that the Ref can back up his decisions. Or is that the point? The Ref is god, and, therefore, above having to explain anything.

I agree. Though I do feel as if there is a feeling amongst some that by accepting the ref to be fallible will somehow lead to an undermining of their authority. Or something.

You said 'African keepers are crap'. On the basis of what? Having seen some dodgy keeping from Africans. Yet you simply ignore the good African keepers. Would you say that European keepers are crap on the basis of Thomas Sorensen's performance?

You appear to need a crash-course in logic:

Socrates is a Greek.

This man is a Greek.

Therefore this man is Socrates...

Is LOGIC FAIL!

They are, by and large, rubbish. But the point was the referees. The World Cup would be infinitely better if it was officiated by top class referees rather than FIFA's riduclous insistence on spreading it to all nations.

The World Cup would be infinitely better if it was officiated by top class referees rather than FIFA's riduclous insistence on spreading it to all nations.

Right, let's sort out your terms here. What do you define as 'top class'. Do you mean by that 'officiate in Europe'? If not, what do you mean? You come across as massively ignorant and culturally arrogant.

IMO the refs have to come from across the globe because football is a global sport. It does not belong to Europe just because the European leagues have so much money that they can buy in all the best players. Plus, of course, probably the two best refs so far have been from Asia and probably the worst from Spain, one of the 'big three' leagues. Start backing your statements up with facts, please.

They are, by and large, rubbish. But the point was the referees. The World Cup would be infinitely better if it was officiated by top class referees rather than FIFA's riduclous insistence on spreading it to all nations.
It is officiated by top class referees. Where they come from is irrelevant.

Right, let's sort out your terms here. What do you define as 'top class'. Do you mean by that 'officiate in Europe'? If not, what do you mean? You come across as massively ignorant and culturally arrogant.

IMO the refs have to come from across the globe because football is a global sport. It does not belong to Europe just because the European leagues have so much money that they can buy in all the best players.

Top class is officiating in top class leagues on a regular basis. There may be great referees elsewhere but they are few and far between. There doesn't have to be just one referee from the better leagues - there should be as many as it takes - the referees should be selected on merit

the referees should be selected on merit

A point absolutely no one is disagreeing with you on. However, reffing in a poorer league does not instantly make a ref of a poorer standard.

FIFA have set criteria for these referees to be at the world cup, they all have experience handling international games, as well as Champions League and the like. Yet its common sense that they are rubbish :confused:

Yet one of the better teams in this WC, certainly far better than England, has been Japan, many of whose players play in Japan. And the Japanese ref has been excellent in the two games I've seen him in.

You really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really don't know what you're talking about.

A point absolutely no one is disagreeing with you on. However, reffing in a poorer league does not instantly make a ref of a poorer standard.

FIFA have set criteria for these referees to be at the world cup, they all have experience handling international games, as well as Champions League and the like. Yet its common sense that they are rubbish :confused:
Yeah, but Africans can't keep goal, the African Cup of Nations is a joke, there are no good leagues in Africa or Asia...

The only characteristic Ive noticed is that the referees seem to be fit. Which is great but doesn't mean they're great referees. Some of the judgment has been very poor. I watched a game the other day - forget which one - and there were 7 or 8 yellow cards - yet there was hardly a bad foul in the game.

I'm not saying all the top referees are from Western leagues but it's highly more probable.

I'm not saying all the top referees are from Western leagues but it's highly more probable.

Yet again with the generalities.

Which referees do you think have been good at this world cup and why?
Which referees do you think have been poor at this world cup and why?

I agree with you

But, I believe FIFA is practising political correctness of a sort in its selection. I think the world cup is too big for that.

All referees should be from top-class footballing nations like England, France, Italy, Denmark, etc ...

Back
Top Bottom