Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Low Scoring World Cup

What sort of pompous div is precious enough to claim that South Africans aren't passionate enough for football based on little more than a distaste of vuvuzelas?

You'd have to be an utterly self-important tool with a dismissive view of less established football nations, wouldn't you?

r5g756r8uj

Can just one of you explain how you think drowning out games with a deafening collective rackets does amount to a genuine engagement in the game?

One of you, please. Otherwise fuck off.

Read the rest of the thread then if you "don't quite understand it" you deceitful little shit.

You're clearly rattled that you've been pulled up as a racist. Keep trying to dig your way out of this one, I haven't had such a good laugh in ages. :D

You're clearly rattled that you've been pulled up as a racist. Keep trying to dig your way out of this one, I haven't had such a good laugh in ages. :D

No I'm getting increasingly fed up with this deceitful line of "argument" that fuckwits like you regularly engage in. Is this your idea of entertainment?

Go on, call me a racist again.

What? And you're going to start really trying to explaining how wearing a scarf, waggling a rattle, calling the referee a wanker, eating a pie and other 'traditional' football supporting activities are going to amount to 'a genuine engagement in the game' then?

Get a grip fella. When someone starts talking about a hefty proportion of fanatical fans getting 'obnoxious, arrogant and disrespectful' simply for playing a plastic horn, then you know they've lost any sort of balance. Particularly when they use the phrase 'anti football' in quick succession afterwards

You'll be trying to bludgeon people to death for having the temerity to use a kazoo next. It's just a mildly annoying noise; not the end of football as we know it.

Can just one of you explain how you think drowning out games with a deafening collective rackets does amount to a genuine engagement in the game?

I think you might get more enjoyment out of a quieter sport such as snooker or golf. Give it a try before you burst a blood vessel. All that anger inside you is on good for your health you know... :(

No I'm getting increasingly fed up with this deceitful line of "argument" that fuckwits like you regularly engage in. Is this your idea of entertainment?

Go on, call me a racist again.

If I said English people were all wanton hooligans with a total disrespect for football and had no right to host the World Cup, based on a bit of rude chanting during matches, I might not be racist, but I certainly wouldn't know what I was talking about.

What? And you're going to start really trying to explaining how wearing a scarf, waggling a rattle, calling the referee a wanker, eating a pie and other 'traditional' football supporting activities are going to amount to 'a genuine engagement in the game' then?

Get a grip fella. When someone starts talking about a hefty proportion of fanatical fans getting 'obnoxious, arrogant and disrespectful' simply for playing a plastic horn, then you know they've lost any sort of balance. Particularly when they use the phrase 'anti football' in quick succession afterwards

You'll be trying to bludgeon people to death for having the temerity to use a kazoo next. It's just a mildly annoying noise; not the end of football as we know it.

But there is nothing mild about it. As we have seen, it's maddeningly insistent and something that the "fans" won't part with easily, going by what some have said.

I've never denied that there are examples of unsporting behaviour in countries of our own. But what on earth would you deduce from our public if they insisted on was uniformly drowning out an entire league season with nothing but the sound of droning plastic horns?

it has been a shit world cup so far.

What confuses me about the vuvuzelas is why they need to be blown constantly, to no particular tune, regardless of what's happening on the pitch.

Well, if you started doubting, nay sneering, that people didn't have enough respect or passion for the game based on the enthusiastic playing of plastic horns, then you've got to wonder what Poulio would think of a football culture where belly-out fat blokes tunelessly belted out dambusters, wore giveaway novelty items from newspapers and where huge droves of the crowd leave early to try and get a headstart for transport.

It was an unpleasantly arrogant and dismissive post about what seems to be a decent enough tournament so far. I certainly don't feel there's any lack of passion from African fans, not how you'd feel comfortale enough to pass judgment on them from a seat on a sofa thousands of miles away

Oh here we go. As if a localised example like that amounts to anything.

An individual example used to support the gerneral proposition that football is taken very serisouly and followed with considerable passion in south africa - particualrly amongst its poorest people.

You could also look at the way that people like Lucas Radabe are revered in places like soweto or you could consider how anyone who actually knows what they are talking about would concur.

Alternatively you could just carry on spouting red faced, spittle flecked, fact free, ill informed, ignorant and offensive drivel.

What exactly do you see as so important about having the competition hosted by more grief stricken nations simply on those grounds alone? It's a massive financial con on FIFAs part anyway.

Please could you retranslate into english?

Is this some sort of accuation of 'PC gone madness' aimed towards FIFA?

Please expand in a language we can all understand.

What sort of pompous div is precious enough to claim that South Africans aren't passionate enough for football based on little more than a distaste of vuvuzelas?

You'd have to be an utterly self-important tool with a dismissive view of less established football nations, wouldn't you?

It is indeed astonishing. I cant stand the Vuvuzelas - but how you get from that to the conculsion that the people of SA aren't arsed about football?

I genuninly confused - the only conclusion I can make is that some deeply held inner bigotry is at work here - becasue there's fuck all logic.

Well, if you started doubting, nay sneering, that people didn't have enough respect or passion for the game based on the enthusiastic playing of plastic horns, then you've got to wonder what Poulio would think of a football culture where belly-out fat blokes tunelessly belted out dambusters, wore giveaway novelty items from newspapers and where huge droves of the crowd leave early to try and get a headstart for transport.

It was an unpleasantly arrogant and dismissive post about what seems to be a decent enough tournament so far. I certainly don't feel there's any lack of passion from African fans, not how you'd feel comfortale enough to pass judgment on them from a seat on a sofa thousands of miles away

Wrong. Read about the decibel levels of the vuvuzela and its visible effect on the players on the field and their communication with each other. It's aggressive noise pollution on a much greater scale than any of your counter examples.

But there is nothing mild about it. As we have seen, it's maddeningly insistent and something that the "fans" won't part with easily, going by what some have said.

I've never denied that there are examples of unsporting behaviour in countries of our own. But what on earth would you deduce from our public if they insisted on was uniformly drowning out an entire league season with nothing but the sound of droning plastic horns?

Oh come on dearie.Like millions of others I'm happily viewing this World Cup, the vuvuzela a minor irritant at best. And judging by their sales in the UK (one every 2 secs in Saisburies alone) it's clear that not everyone agrees with you.

Which, given that you're pompously ranting on about anti-football and disrespect like the worst kind of green inking numbnut, makes you look a little overprecious imo.

If you really can be totally distracted off a game by a background noise then more fool you. Change the bleeding channel if you must - it's hardly as though you've been motivated or passionate enough to actually go and attend the tournament in the flesh.

And don't put 'fans' in inverted commas because you don't like the noise a horn makes. Makes you look like even more of an arrogant tit, which is quite some achievement if the truth be told

I must admit its been boring so far. I usually get into it after after some random match with a bit of excitement, unfortunately the boring football combined with the overpowering drone of the horns had made me hit the mute button. Games have been on but have faded to background wallpaper. I hope it improves.

It genuinely doesn't bother me. It didn't bother me at the beginning, and now, I'm used to it.

So, why don't you fuck off yourself. :)

I think you might get more enjoyment out of a quieter sport such as snooker or golf. Give it a try before you burst a blood vessel. All that anger inside you is on good for your health you know... :(

And they would have an additional advantage in that they would not attract a dreadfully uncouth african fan base.

I must admit its been boring so far. I usually get into it after after some random match with a bit of excitement, unfortunately the boring football combined with the overpowering drone of the horns had made me hit the mute button. Games have been on but have faded to background wallpaper. I hope it improves.

^^Yes, this for me too. Watching football on mute really detracts from it. And the football isn't anywhere near exciting enough to overcome it.

Wrong. Read about the decibel levels of the vuvuzela and its visible effect on the players on the field and their communication with each other. It's aggressive noise pollution on a much greater scale than any of your counter examples.

'Aggressive noise pollution'

:D

It's like old P has been force-fed copies of the Daily Mail and has been stoked into a Mad Mel type rage and green ink frenzy.

You do realise that these 'not so passionate' fans with vuvuzelas are attending the game, often at great expense and travelling difficulty. Meanwhile you're pointing, second hand, to articles in our alarmist press and imagining how awful and disrespectful these second rate fans must be.

Get a grip. This is one of the most spectacular delusional outbursts I've seen on here for years.

it has been a shit world cup so far.

What confuses me about the vuvuzelas is why they need to be blown constantly, to no particular tune, regardless of what's happening on the pitch.

I thought the vuvuzelas at the Brazil match last night were played a little differently. Definitely more rhythm in the playing.

Because the football's only at the early group stages and people need to get animated about something?

Ridiculously and humorously so it seems...

:D

One way or another, my feeling is that this world cup -- so far -- is the worst I've yet seen. I'm just trying to understand what it is about the event that is evoking that feeling.

One way or another, my feeling is that this world cup -- so far -- is the worst I've yet seen. I'm just trying to understand what it is about the event that is evoking that feeling.

oh. I'm really enjoying it.

Well, apart from all the moaning about the horns. :)

It's not just the horns, it's the nature of the football on the pitch. I'm hoping that's because it's just the first matches, but I don't remember the same issue to this extent at previous world cups and the statistics on goals would tend to bear that out.

On the issue of horns, however, I must say that I missed the samba drums when Brazil played yesterday. And I missed the passionate songs that you generally hear from Uruguay. In France 98 I went to Iran-Serbia and the sound of the little cymbals from the Iranian crowd really made the game -- that kind of thing will be completely lost. You don't have to think that the horns represent the end of civilization to regret their presence in an event that is normally about cultural diversity.

It's too early to call as far as I'm concerned. In some ways it seems more competitive than past years, which mean that there are less of those occasionally entertaining whoompings of the lesser nations. Nobody wants to play naive patsy anymore.

Add to that and it's difficult to feel that much tension or excitement about England yet, who stumbled to a draw against their best opponents in a pretty poor group. I can't really say I've got strong memories of many of the early group games over the years - it's the drama later on that tends to stick in the mind

It's not just the horns, it's the nature of the football on the pitch. I'm hoping that's because it's just the first matches, but I don't remember the same issue to this extent at previous world cups and the statistics on goals would tend to bear that out.

On the issue of horns, however, I must say that I missed the samba drums when Brazil played yesterday. And I missed the passionate songs that you generally hear from Uruguay. In France 98 I went to Iran-Serbia and the sound of the little cymbals from the Iranian crowd really made the game -- that kind of thing will be completely lost. You don't have to think that the horns represent the end of civilization to regret their presence in an event that is normally about cultural diversity.

I'm not getting into a discussion about the horns.

I'm enjoying the football - the game last night was great, it was funny to see france fail to beat uruguay (even if the game was a bit dull), the argie game was good, japan, ghana winning... just cos it's not a 5-4 goal fest they're still good games.

You don't strike me as somebody who needs goals, goals, goals to enjoy a game..... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom