Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

referees in the world cup

Care to prove this point with reference to particularly good and particularly bad referees at this World Cup, and the relative merit of the leagues normally reffed by them?

Does it need proving - it's commonsense really. A referee from Swaziland and the like is unlikely to be officiating at the top level in any form.

There have been some shocking yellow and red cards in this tournament. Theyve been sprayed around like confetti. Today's referee was half decent until the shocking decision close to half term. If Frank Lampard knew the ball was over the ref didnt need to wait for his linesman. Even Capello in the centre of the pitch knew it was over.

Does it need proving - it's commonsense really. A referee from Swaziland and the like is unlikely to be officiating at the top level in any form.

There have been some shocking yellow and red cards in this tournament. Theyve been sprayed around like confetti. Today's referee was half decent until the shocking decision close to half term. If Frank Lampard knew the ball was over the ref didnt need to wait for his linesman. Even Capello in the centre of the pitch knew it was over.

I knew that would come up!!! I've seen similar happen in the PL, not to mention on-side goals being disallowed etc. I've also seen cards 'being sprayed around like confetti' in top European leagues, and the Champions league.

Is there a ref from Swaziland officiating at this tournament? Genuine question, what with me asking you to prove your case using actual, real life examples from the WC rather than 'common sense' which is nothing of the sort.

Given how bad that Lampard decision was, I think that there is a solid argument for introducing ball tracking technology. OK it wouldn't have won the England game, but it would have shown clearly that the referee was wrong.

Given how bad that Lampard decision was, I think that there is a solid argument for introducing ball tracking technology. OK it wouldn't have won the England game, but it would have shown clearly that the referee was wrong.

This. Can't understand why they don't tbh.

Being that that's hardly a country from a "muppet league" given they've won the world cup twice (albeit 70 years ago) how well they're playing at the moment and given that I would put money on them to win the whole thing.

Pretty sure there was a poll here on the very subject once. Been trying to find it but can't, so may have imagined it. General impression has always been one of ambivalence/hostility towards new tech ime. Funny how everyone is all for it now though, eh?

I do agree that it should be used, and always have. Just in case you think I'm on a troll or summat.

Being that that's hardly a country from a "muppet league" given they've won the world cup twice (albeit 70 years ago) how well they're playing at the moment and given that I would put money on them to win the whole thing.

Fair enough. Actually think the ref had a good game today. Obvious error not withstanding, obv.

I knew that would come up!!! I've seen similar happen in the PL, not to mention on-side goals being disallowed etc. I've also seen cards 'being sprayed around like confetti' in top European leagues, and the Champions league.

Is there a ref from Swaziland officiating at this tournament? Genuine question, what with me asking you to prove your case using actual, real life examples from the WC rather than 'common sense' which is nothing of the sort.

Well Ive seen referees from Uzbekistan, South Africa, plus various African states - you really wonder what their experience is of top level refereeing.

Well Ive seen referees from Uzbekistan, South Africa, plus various African states - you really wonder what their experience is of top level refereeing.
But the ref from Uzbekistan was very good. The African refs will no doubt have officiated at the African Cup of Nations. Probably the best ref so far has been Japanese.

Your argument doesn't stand up, unless you think the African Cup of Nations isn't top-level. Why would you think that, btw?

He's been very good, but I wouldn't deify him just yet.

Don't see how my post could be seen to be deifying him. Gunner's point was that he's from a muppet league and, therefore, a poor ref. His performance doesn't support this.

edit: should probably proof read, shouldn't I :facepalm:

Gunner's point was that he's from a muppet league and, therefore, a poor ref. His performance doesn't support this.

Yes, well neither of gunneradt's points stand up to any level of scrutiny. He has a history of this – he is clueless about every single subject he posts about. :(

But the ref from Uzbekistan was very good. The African refs will no doubt have officiated at the African Cup of Nations. Probably the best ref so far has been Japanese.

Your argument doesn't stand up, unless you think the African Cup of Nations isn't top-level. Why would you think that, btw?

the African cup of nations is a joke - if you think otherwise, then fine. I'm not actually talking about one every tournament every 2 years or 4 years. Refs at the worlsd cup should be officiating in a top league week in week out

Refs at the worlsd cup should be officiating in a top league week in week out

You've yet to back that statement up. You've been asked to but failed, preferring to waffle pish about 'common sense' whatever that means in your crazy world. Simply restating that (in your view) WC refs should be officiating in a 'top' league (you haven't even defined what you mean by that, btw) does not make it a FACT.

Care to try again? This time with reference to *actual* refereeing performances in the WC - both good and bad.

You're a nasty piece of work, aren't you? I'm going to leave you alone now. I follow football because it's fun and you're spoiling it.

That's my point

you don't follow football otherwise you would have know that African keepers are crap. Or you really didn't watch the Afrcain Nations Cup at all.

This. Can't understand why they don't tbh.

Pretty sure there was a poll here on the very subject once. Been trying to find it but can't, so may have imagined it. General impression has always been one of ambivalence/hostility towards new tech ime. Funny how everyone is all for it now though, eh?

I do agree that it should be used, and always have. Just in case you think I'm on a troll or summat.

There was a TV programme here (yesterday?) which showed that the technology already exists, that it works and that there is little, other than prejudice against it, to stop it being introduced.

Although I agree that the Lampard incident does give rise to more people coming out in favour of the technology, I have never seen why it isn't possible to introduce it, at the very least for games at this level.

That's my point

you don't follow football otherwise you would have know that African keepers are crap. Or you really didn't watch the Afrcain Nations Cup at all.
Except they're not, are they? Ghana's isn't crap, and Nigeria's is outstandingly good. For starters. The two worst goalkeeping performances so far have arguably been Green and Sorenson, both European, both from the English Premier League.

You're an ignorant fool.

Back
Top Bottom