Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

referees in the world cup

frogwoman

No amount of cajolery...
What does everyone think of the standard of refereeing so far? There seem to be a mixture of really good refs and really appalling / nuts ones like the guy who missed that hand ball last night and the one on at the moment :eek:

Im kinda wondering what the selection process is? There seem to be people reffing these matches who are stunningly shit ...

Selection process i believe is every country that qualifies gets to choose who their best ref is.

Possibly.

dave

There have been some excellent examples, and a few terrible ones. The Spanish and the Malian refs were crap.

There have been some excellent examples, and a few terrible ones. The Spanish and the Malian refs were crap.

I thought Coulibaly was excellent. Made one even vaguely dodgy decision so far, and hasn't been criticised for that, instead he's being pilloried for getting a decision right where the commentators don't actually understand the rules. OK, so the USA manage a 3 goal come back would make a lovely fairy story. There's no call to blame a ref simply because he's refereeing according to what happens on the pitch rather than what people want to have happened.

Just watching Howard Webb in the Italy v Slovakia game.

He seems like one of the best refs in the tournament to me. No cock ups as yet, very clear command of decisions, lots of talking to the players to explain the decisions, and clear warnings when someone is approaching yellow card territory.

Fifa seem to like him, and he got to ref the Champions League Final this year which is no doubt the biggest club tournament final in the world.

Webb to ref the cup final possibly?

Possibly the worst selection of referees Ive ever seen.

Referess from rubbish leagues should get no representatives - that's not a world cup is about.

What does everyone think of the standard of refereeing so far? There seem to be a mixture of really good refs and really appalling / nuts ones like the guy who missed that hand ball last night and the one on at the moment :eek:

Nail. Head. You. Hit. On.

The World Cup is a tournament for the world, but I don't understand why they are having refs from places like Uzbekhistan who, with all due respect to them, simply don't have the experience of refereeing at an elite level to justify an appointment to the World Cup.

At least Howard Webb hasn't managed to make an embarrassment of himself so far. I think he got that out of his system in the FA Cup semi-final. :mad:

What I like about Webb though is the amount he talks to players and offers up clear warnings when fouls have been committed.

Much better than watching some refs who seem a bit too card happy with no explanation of their decisions and all they do is just pout their lips and refuse to listen to any appeals.

The sooner the game embraces additional video referees the better.

The worst ref I've seen so far is Spanish. The best is from Uzbekistan. So much for the standard of referees having anything to do with the standard of football they referee in their own country.

Most, if not all, of the refs at the WC from smaller nations have experience of a LOT of top level international games behind them.

The tendency is for the Latin country refs to strut around dishes out cards to bolster their egos. Some seem to believe they are the centre of the universe.
50000 dollars it was reported that each official gets for the tournament regardless of how they perform.
Some refs don't earn that in 5 years, so they are cueing up to referee.
The consistency is appalling this WC.

The consistency is appalling this WC.

I really do think that the refereeing has been much better than average. For instance, they've actually been booking players for diving instead of just buying the dive every time. And some of the refs from the 'lesser' nations have been very good. The Uzbeki ref has impressed me, as has the Japanese ref. Gawd help me, even the copper Howard Webb has done alright.

I really do think that the refereeing has been much better than average. For instance, they've actually been booking players for diving instead of just buying the dive every time. And some of the refs from the 'lesser' nations have been very good. The Uzbeki ref has impressed me, as has the Japanese ref. Gawd help me, even the copper Howard Webb has done alright.

Indeed.

The ref from Uzbekistan was very good iirc.

gunneradt, is this the first World Cup you've seen then?

no but I suspect it's the first you've seen

1970 was the first I watched. You shouldn't let referees from muppet leagues within a million miles of the world cup - the world cup should be about the best officials not a selection from everywhere in the world.

no but I suspect it's the first you've seen

1970 was the first I watched. You shouldn't let referees from muppet leagues within a million miles of the world cup - the world cup should be about the best officials not a selection from everywhere in the world.

Get over yourself, just because a referee doesn't ply his trade in one of what, 3/4 leagues doesn't make him a poor ref.

Plenty of dross in the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A etc

Get over yourself, just because a referee doesn't ply his trade in one of what, 3/4 leagues doesn't make him a poor ref.

Plenty of dross in the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A etc

I didn't say there wasn't. What I said was the referees should be the best - they are unlikely to be the best when they come from muppet leagues. If there is more than one great referee from certain countriers then include them all.

I didn't say there wasn't. What I said was the referees should be the best - they are unlikely to be the best when they come from muppet leagues. If there is more than one great referee from certain countriers then include them all.

Yeah all the refs should come from great footballing nations like england, italy and france :facepalm:

What part of my post are you having difficulty with? Where have I insisted that refs who work in "muppet leagues" should get to ref at the World Cup regardless of their ability?

Your post seemed to imply it. Of course only if they're good enough, but that is unrelated to whether they are English, Argentinian or even Uruguayan.

Your post seemed to imply it. Of course only if they're good enough, but that is unrelated to whether they are English, Argentinian or even Uruguayan.

The point is that the better referees will come from the better leagues generally. If referees from other leagues want to prove themselves at the top level, let them ply their trade in a top league. The world cup is not a stage for experimentation.

The point is that the better referees will come from the better leagues generally. If referees from other leagues want to prove themselves at the top level, let them ply their trade in a top league. The world cup is not a stage for experimentation.

Care to prove this point with reference to particularly good and particularly bad referees at this World Cup, and the relative merit of the leagues normally reffed by them?

Back
Top Bottom