Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RCP/Spiked/IoI

"Plus a special video message from Alex Belfield, a fundraising auction hosted by celebrity gavel-basher Katie Hopkins, the amusing cabaret stylings of former Scots comedian of the year Leo Kearse, and closing disco by Special Guest DJ that fella from Mumford & Sons (prompt 10:30 finish)"
Any chance of an appearance from Jim Davidson ?- he popped up on GB news recently , slagging off footballers for being woke and taking the Queen's shilling in Qatar (that makes proper sense Jim) and basically bigging up the LGBT+ community in the UK (He's always been a big supporter has Jim)

This looks like a very interesting debate at the Battle of Ideas Festival tomorrow. I hope they put the video online

Trade unions: throwback, comeback or fightback?
Saturday 15 October, 16:45—18:15, Room 511, Church House

A wave of strikes this year led to talk of a Summer of Discontent, with the RMT’s Mick Lynch becoming a household name. Trade union leaders are now regularly asked to comment on politics. It seems the biting cost-of-living crisis has cut through, with unions seeming to lead the fightback with substantial public support.

Yet until recently, many thought unions were toothless, bureaucratic bodies, their glory days behind them. The number of days lost to strikes has long been in decline. Is this really, as media and politicians claim, a return to the militant Seventies?

In the Conservative leadership campaign, Liz Truss has mimicked Margaret Thatcher’s draconian threats to union activity, aiming to make legal strikes almost impossible. The government has brought in legislation allowing the use of agency workers to break picket lines and replace striking employees. Will this tame today’s trade unions, as laws against secondary picketing and closed shops, and creating strict rules for strike ballots, did in the past?

Some suggest that a renaissance in trade unions is being hyped up, pointing out that those not in trade unions have been more effective in organising spontaneous, larger-scale national resistance around specific issues affecting their livelihoods, such as this year’s protests by Canadian truckers and European farmers. Could such ‘populist revolts’ be channelled into organised union resistance?

Yet the fact that most unions are still affiliated to the Labour Party, which lost millions of working-class votes in 2019 over its anti-Brexit stance, could compromise unions’ ability to tap into this anger. Unions were also at the forefront of demanding lockdown restrictions, which had a devastating impact on many people’s lives.

Can trade unions lead the struggle against the crisis of living standards – or are they a barrier to fighting back?

Readings

Big Unions Aren't Up to the Job Anymore, Lydia Hughes, Novara Media, 2 October 2020
US sees union boom despite big companies' aggressive opposition, Michael Sainato, The Guardian, 27 July 2022
Are we entering a 'golden age' for trade unions?, Anne Cassidy, BBC News, 31 March 2022

'You don't think strikes are the answer? What is?' RMT's Mick Lynch on work, dignity and union power, Zoe Williams, The Guardian, 23 August 2022
Rail strikes: not a return ticket to the 1970s, Mick Hume, Spiked, 26 June 2022
Why Mick Lynch stands out, Lisa McKenzie, Spiked, 27 June 2022
This is not a class war, Philip Cunliffe, UnHerd, 24 June 2022

GbUgfgd.png

Mildly surprised to see Bastani there (as a first line name no less), can't imagine the Novara audience being particularly happy to see their boi glad handing with Liddle and Linehan.

Mildly surprised to see Bastani there (as a first line name no less), can't imagine the Novara audience being particularly happy to see their boi glad handing with Liddle and Linehan.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised. He does have the odd centrist take but doesn't remotely have the red-brown (or just brown) leanings of a lot of the speakers. He may well get called out for it cos that is one appalling line-up.

This looks like a very interesting debate at the Battle of Ideas Festival tomorrow. I hope they put the video online
Really? I read the speakers and was like, okay, they managed to have some actual leftists there, even if some are known for their more nationalist leaning leftism. And okay, one Tory dickhead on there, perhaps they feel the need for token balance. Then I saw the chair: 'Senior HR professional'. Like, the actual enemy in workplaces. Hilarious stuff.

Aaron and Lisa propping up the credentials of valiantly taking on the Spiked propaganda machine, in the well-trodden path of liberals vs Fox News anchors that has allowed it to pose as a serious debate forum while carefully maintaining a totally dominant ratio of its own views so thoroughly dismantled it as an organisation.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of his politics or journalism, but actually that’s a good point.
It would be if he was writing a column for The Times or something, but I'd argue sharing a platform with these guys is just helping their long-term project of funnelling left-leaning people towards right-wing politics, and damaging your own standing with anyone sensible at the same time.

'Senior HR professional'. Like, the actual enemy in workplaces. Hilarious stuff.
Back when I was at high school (late 70s/early 80s), we had these career guidance meetings. One of the maths teachers met you and asked you a load of questions from a bought-in questionnaire they were very pleased with and would confidently match you with a career to go into. This was so you could chose the right subjects to take and plan for college or uni or whatever.

After a couple of days I got back the answer that I was best matched to HR (or personnel management as it was then called). I was utterly offended. I’d have been about 15, I’d already read a bit of Marx (both my grandads were Tankies), and I knew then that HR was The Enemy.

On talking to mates it turned out everyone who was brightish but with no obvious career course (medicine, whatever) was told the same thing. Put me off education for a while, really until I got a job with the WEA.

Really? I read the speakers and was like, okay, they managed to have some actual leftists there, even if some are known for their more nationalist leaning leftism. And okay, one Tory dickhead on there, perhaps they feel the need for token balance. Then I saw the chair: 'Senior HR professional'. Like, the actual enemy in workplaces. Hilarious stuff.
I presumed it was a joke. Especially as one of the former unionists is listed as being active in a union that stopped existing over thirty years ago.

It would be if he was writing a column for The Times or something, but I'd argue sharing a platform with these guys is just helping their long-term project of funnelling left-leaning people towards right-wing politics, and damaging your own standing with anyone sensible at the same time.
Och, I realise that. I don’t trust any of that Novara crowd.

I hadn't seen this advertisement for the Battle of Ideas Festival 2022, which is due to finish in a couple of hours, until just now.

It was posted to YouTube a week ago by veteran ex-LM network 'member' Austin Williams.

There's many reasons to come. First of all, they'll have all the lights on, so you don't have to. And with so many people present, around 1000 attendees every day, it's packed, and a very cheap way to stay warm in these troubled times. At £27.50 for a student ticket that's cheaper than a hot water bottle and some scented candles.

Secondly, Church House is where the Government under Winston Churchill relocated during the Second World War to avoid the air raids. So, if you want a relatively safe space when the nuclear war starts, I can think of nowhere better.

Contrarian comedy at its finest.

I just want to add, Silkie Carlo was one of the organizers that booked David Icke and Alex Jones to speak (headline actually) at the 2013 anti-bilderberg protest in June 2013.

Now on with this bunch, of course where else.

I just want to add, Silkie Carlo was one of the organizers that booked David Icke and Alex Jones to speak (headline actually) at the 2013 anti-bilderberg protest in June 2013.

Now on with this bunch, of course where else.
Director of Big Brother watch? i thought they were okay, but have never dug
"
Silkie is a recognised media spokesperson on human rights issues, including on flagship political programmes such as BBC Any Questions? and Politics Live, and regularly writes opinion pieces in the Telegraph, with bylines also in the Guardian and Mail among other papers.

Before joining Big Brother Watch, she was the Senior Advocacy Officer at the UK’s oldest human rights organisation Liberty where she led a programme on Technology and Human Rights and launched a legal challenge against mass surveillance powers. She previously worked for Edward Snowden’s official legal defence fund."

Where is the facepalm emoji when you need it?

I know next to nothing about 'Big Brother Watch' but I know she speaks for them, and that speaks volumes about them IMO

It bothers me a lot that she has such a profile and is more or less mainstream now.

Director of Big Brother watch? i thought they were okay, but have never dug
"
Silkie is a recognised media spokesperson on human rights issues, including on flagship political programmes such as BBC Any Questions? and Politics Live, and regularly writes opinion pieces in the Telegraph, with bylines also in the Guardian and Mail among other papers.

Before joining Big Brother Watch, she was the Senior Advocacy Officer at the UK’s oldest human rights organisation Liberty where she led a programme on Technology and Human Rights and launched a legal challenge against mass surveillance powers. She previously worked for Edward Snowden’s official legal defence fund."
Yeah, I always thought they were okay. A look at their board has caused doubts tho, a couple from right wing think tanks and a lib dem peer :hmm:

Her recent pieces all seem to be anti lockdown shite in the Torygraph

Back when I was at high school (late 70s/early 80s), we had these career guidance meetings. One of the maths teachers met you and asked you a load of questions from a bought-in questionnaire they were very pleased with and would confidently match you with a career to go into. This was so you could chose the right subjects to take and plan for college or uni or whatever.

After a couple of days I got back the answer that I was best matched to HR (or personnel management as it was then called). I was utterly offended. I’d have been about 15, I’d already read a bit of Marx (both my grandads were Tankies), and I knew then that HR was The Enemy.

On talking to mates it turned out everyone who was brightish but with no obvious career course (medicine, whatever) was told the same thing. Put me off education for a while, really until I got a job with the WEA.
You know when kids say what they want to be when they grow up, eg train driver, bus conductor, sweetshop keeper, etc, has any child ever answered HR officer, because if they did, surely social services would need to be brought in :snarl:

Back
Top Bottom