Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rapid Response Media Alert: Targeting Iran – The BBC Propaganda Begins

Raisin D'etre said:
But what of your exaggeration "people are watching less TV? That's simply not true. So why say such rubbish?". Can you admit you are wrong?

My only evidence is anecdotal, but I know a lot of teenagers, and most of them claim *never* to watch TV, which is a massive change from 10 years ago, when they did little else. That's in America mind, where TV is utter crap. And it certainly hasn't done much for their knowledge of world politics.

Pickman's model said:
you said a while back yr a journalist. i assume yr a member of the nuj. therefore you'd be an accredited journalist.
Who's asking you?!

But seeing as you've butted in with your ignorant assumptions, allow me to educate you: you don't have to be a member of the NUJ to be a journalist, and I have never, ever claimed to be an "accredited journalist".

But thanks for your pointless input.

editor said:
Who's asking you?!

But seeing as you've butted in with your ignorant assumptions, allow me to educate you: you don't have to be a member of the NUJ to be a journalist, and I have never, ever claimed to be an "accredited journalist".

But thanks for your pointless input.
you'll give yrself a heart attack if you don't calm down.

so, you haven't joined the union?

Raisin D'etre said:
Here is some research for you to get your teeth into Ed. I draw my sources from a wide range of sites on the internet, left, right, mainstream. For me the internet gives the opportunity to cross check stories and search for further information. If you doubt the source you can investigate further. Hippiol's quote is one I apply myself.
The Dallas News?!! I thought we were talking about the BBC here!

But seeing as you've brought it up, how does the fact that the survey revealed that an overwhelming majority of people thought an "Internet news site to be more credible if associated with a familiar print or television" advance your argument?

And you are aware, of course, of the shortcomings of a small, self-selected survey, yes?

Seeing as the poll was done online, it's not surprising that the respondents are going to favour internet news sites - after all, exclusive newspaper and TV/radio readers - or those who don't visit the four sites in the survey - couldn't take part by definition!

the christian science monitor's supposed to be one of the best papers in the world, and they've quite a good website. their news coverage ain't too bad either.

Pickman's model said:
you'll give yrself a heart attack if you don't calm down.

so, you haven't joined the union?
I'm very calm, thanks, but I'm wondering what motivates you to post up such clueless bullshit - especially when you weren't the person being challenged about the quote.

It had nothing to do with you, and I'm still waiting for bigfish - the person who posted up the quote - to answer my question.

editor said:
What's that got to do with:
(a) the topic of this thread and
(b) you?
the implication of yr post above is that yr not a member of the union, which would lead to you being (imo) not an accredited journalist. do you not believe in unions or summat?

and yr membership (or otherwise) of a union could bias yr posts on this thread.

Pickman's model said:
the implication of yr post above is that yr not a member of the union, which would lead to you being (imo) not an accredited journalist. do you not believe in unions or summat?

and yr membership (or otherwise) of a union could bias yr posts on this thread.
Are you on the dole?
Do you not believe in working and contributing to society or summat?

Pickman's model said:
yes.
i believe in contributing to society.
Me too. So what contributions are you currently making and does it offset the cost of having your living/food/beer expenses provided for by other people's contributions?

editor said:
DBut if you're trying to make the point that viewers are deserting mainstream TV sources like BBC/Sky/ITV news because they no longer find them a credible source, perhaps you might be kind enough to produce some research on this and point me in the direction of 'more credible' alternative news sources?

I stopped consuming the product "news" from TV, radio, internet news sites (was BBC every morning until then) and print media last June.

Have seen TV news maybe 2 or 3 times for about 30 seconds in that time.

My major source for finding out what is happening in the world is Urban 75.

editor said:
The Dallas News?!! I thought we were talking about the BBC here!
It was posted on Dallas News amongst others and was "one of the largest online news survey ever undertaken on the credibility of online news sources", that was on the first page in the first paragraph. I did recognise what you were doing in your post by bringing in BBC/Sky/ITV news - the straw man fallacy. Lets not derail this thread further - you have shown an inability to admit you were wrong, and thats useful for me to know. As the discussion is about BBC propaganda and as there is not that much research on the subject, I think this thread will be useful in bringing all the information we need into one place so people can draw their own conclusions.

Raisin D'etre said:
It was posted on Dallas News amongst others and was "one of the largest online news survey ever undertaken on the credibility of online news sources", that was on the first page in the first paragraph.
Err, that survey only reflected the opinions of 1,649 self selecting individuals from the comparatively tiny subset of people from a particular region in the US who just happened to access those particular websites and could be bothered to fill them in.

The survey was posted on just four regional Internet news sites - DallasNews.com, The Dallas Morning News’ Web site; WFAA.com, the site for Dallas’ ABC affiliate WFAA-Channel 8; TXCN.com, the site associated with The Texas Cable News; and DentonRC.com, Web site of The Denton Record-Chronicle.

Seeing as we're not discussing the credibility and impartiality of regional news media in Texas (and I certainly wouldn't even attempt to defend them as I've never heard of any of them, let alone read them) it rather begs the question of exactly what it was that you wanted me to "get my teeth" into.

But if you were in any doubt about how irrelevant this survey was, perhaps you should read their own disclaimer:
All 1,649 respondents were self-selected. There was no attempt to randomly select a sample from among registered users of the four Internet news sites where the survey was posted. Thus, the results do not necessarily represent the views of everyone who signs on to the news sites where the survey appeared.
But seeing as their survey reported that:

(a) newspapers provided the most credible information
(b) the internet provided the least credible information
(c) an Internet news site is more credible if associated with a familiar print or television organization
...but people find online coverage 'more comprehensive'

I'm not sure how that helps your argument

Raisin D'etre said:
As the discussion is about BBC propaganda and as there is not that much research on the subject, I think this thread will be useful in bringing all the information we need into one place so people can draw their own conclusions.
Indeed it is. So why were you imploring me to "get my teeth into" a self-selected survey based around an obscure set of news sites in Texas?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

This quote aptly describes mainstream news bulletins.

Noam Chomsky -
"THE SMART WAY TO KEEP PEOPLE PASSIVE AND OBEDIENT IS TO STRICTLY LIMIT THE SPECTRUM OF ACCEPTABLE OPINION BUT ALLOW VERY LIVELY DEBATE WITHIN THAT SPECTRUM - EVEN ENCOURAGE THE MORE CRITICAL AND DISSIDENT VIEWS. THAT GIVES THE PEOPLE THE SENSE THAT THERE’S FREE THINKING GOING ON, WHILE ALL THE TIME THE PRESUPPOSITIONS OF THE SYSTEM ARE BEING REINFORCED BY THE LIMITS PUT ON THE RANGE OF THE DEBATE."

CaroleK said:
Noam Chomsky -
Thanks for that. Does he think - like you - that the tsunami may have been created by the evil Americans as part of a grand global conspiracy to err, umm, do something bad for, err, ummmm, some reason or another?

CaroleK said:

Noam Chomsky -
"THE SMART WAY TO KEEP PEOPLE PASSIVE AND OBEDIENT IS TO STRICTLY LIMIT THE SPECTRUM OF ACCEPTABLE OPINION BUT ALLOW VERY LIVELY DEBATE WITHIN THAT SPECTRUM - EVEN ENCOURAGE THE MORE CRITICAL AND DISSIDENT VIEWS. THAT GIVES THE PEOPLE THE SENSE THAT THERE’S FREE THINKING GOING ON, WHILE ALL THE TIME THE PRESUPPOSITIONS OF THE SYSTEM ARE BEING REINFORCED BY THE LIMITS PUT ON THE RANGE OF THE DEBATE."

BBC Question Time anyone?

editor said:
Indeed it is. So why were you imploring me to "get my teeth into" a self-selected survey based around an obscure set of news sites in Texas?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
You dont like the research I have presented. Tough! You asked for it. Next time I wont bother. We are having a discussion about the BBC and propaganda, why dont you stick to that instead of trying to distract us from discussing that with asking for proof that doen't exist - rather like asking for proof of Saddams missing WMD, dont you think? In the meantime, I hope people will respond to the online poll and we can get some idea of how people get their news.

I can't be arsed scrapping in the mud with you right now, ed.

I've got other more important things to get on with.

Like the dishes.

'Nother time, mebbe. :)

But the poster concerned with your heart was right. You really should take it more easy.

And what does Pickman's being on the dole have to do with anything! uptown heirarchin ed! :mad: Stop goading and antagonizing people - maybe you are not the best person to edit a site such as this which draws people from many different backgrounds. Someone better warn Richard Littlejohn to watch his step as Ed is hoping to fill his shoes! :mad:

Raisin D'etre said:
And what does Pickman's being on the dole have to do with anything! uptown heirarchin ed! :mad: Stop goading and antagonizing people - maybe you are not the best person to edit a site such as this which draws people from many different backgrounds. Someone better warn Richard Littlejohn to watch his step as Ed is hoping to fill his shoes! :mad:

Maybe you're not the best person to advise anyone on goading or name calling. You and others freely use that 'right' yourself in the middle east forum against anyone you deem to be your political opponent, whilst such debate-delaying agonising reveals more about your feelings than the subject being discussed.

Give it a rest will you!

And ed, innit your turn to go to the bar ?
I'll have a pirouette with a demi-pliés on the rocks please.

bigfish said:
But what about medialens psycho killer? After all, it's their words your citing above, not mine. Do they know anything about the BBC do you think? Or do they just issue their alerts to stir up shit for no reason?

As for myself, what I know about the BBC is that it is pretty much polluted, nowadays, by self-infatuated, jelly-spined prima donna's and right wing Islamatoads (like yourself), peddling spudcheese propaganda to the unsuspecting and gullible (just like the Church) and that its 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock sermons are a travesty of the human intellect and spirit.

...and the above proves precisely what I said before - Bigfish, stick to stupid conspiranoid scare stories, you don't know the first fucking thing about the BBC, or how their news in produced, no matter what you've read on the shiter side of the internet.

I know more about BBC news than you will ever know - and I can tell you categorically that most of it's journalistic input is written by freelance people who have no issue with what the UK govt or the US govt want to hear.

That's News 24, the 10 and the 6, as well as Newsnight and Panorama.

You will believe what you want to, no doubt because you're a no-mates cunt who wants to appear important, like some Trekkie with a signed William Shatner LP, but I am telling you now - if you seriously think the BBC news agenda is dictated by shadowy government figures you are seriously mistaken. Anyone following a governmental line, pro or anti, would be dealt with swiftly and their productions would be cut immediately.

That's the truth. Take it or leave it.

Though I suspect you'll just be trying to call me an Islamotoad or whatever the fuck constitutes an insult on your fucked up and lonely little planet.

Get fucked you paranoid cunt.

Love pk.

Raisin D'etre said:
You dont like the research I have presented. Tough! You asked for it.
Actually, I asked for some research relevant to both the point you were making about the BBC and the topic of this thread.

Instead of providing anything remotely useful, you insisted that I should "get my teeth" into a self-selected survey from four obscure Texan websites you posted up.

Weird.

Raisin D'etre said:
And what does Pickman's being on the dole have to do with anything!
You might be better off asking what my membership of the NUJ - or the lack of it - has to do with Pickmans...

invisibleplanet said:
I'll have a pirouette with a demi-pliés on the rocks please.
Here you go:
0-7645-2568-9_000300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom