Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen's state funeral.

one thing why did they not have a fly past for the funeral

if you going to do bread and circus do it properly

Not read the thread. Just been watching on catch-up so I can skip through the dreary bits.
Just about caught up with real time.

I‘m really enjoying how the navy lads are all holding hands to drag the gun carriage. Bless! I guess they red to do that to stay in tight formation. And I bet they get stick for it from the other armed forces people, we all know about sailors etc.

I can't stop watching it. It's quite impressive. :oops:. So many questions... Apparently the long feathers on the hats are ostrich.

I thought they were swan feathers, but no swan I’ve ever seen has feathers that long. So I was thinking maybe they’re stitched together somehow. But now you say they’re ostrich feathers.

Last edited:
Considering that Britain is a tiny, insignificant country in the scheme of things, all this pomp and ceremony is crazy. Other countries must think we're totally bonkers.

It’s just a huge advert for the country.
Tourism innit. Watch the streets heaving with people wanting to “walk the funeral route” etc next holiday season.

I thought they were swan feathers, but no swan I’ve ever seen has feathers that long. So I was thinking maybe they’re stretched together somehow. But now you say they’re ostrich feathers.

So I looked this up.

On (I kid you not) The Plumery dot co.uk

They‘re Her Majesty’s…. I guess his now…. Bodyguard. And they are indeed swan feathers. No idea how I knew that though.

I thought they were swan feathers, but no swan I’ve ever seen has feathers that long. So I was thinking maybe they’re stretched together somehow. But now you say they’re ostrich feathers.
That's what my husband said when I asked him (he googled though)

An amazing amount of horseshit along the route (unsurprising really) - was watching with bated breath to see if any of the marching bands would step in it.

An amazing amount of horseshit along the route (unsurprising really) - was watching with bated breath to see if any of the marching bands would step in it.

Me too! They must have some kind of protocol for this. Sidestep or bypass the shit somehow. Maybe that explains the bendy lines.

I confess I’m now quite interested to find out who what why all the different uniforms and costumes are for. Who were those children in the Abbey stood in front of the choir? With the big red and yellow frocks on? Who were those older men with the red and gold frocks carrying a little sceptre type rod in their right hand? And what was going on with the swords held back over the shoulder with the blade caught behind the back while they were marching? Seems a bit awkward to me.

I wondered about all that sand too. It was put down for the gun carriage when she was delivered to Westminster, then taken away again, then laid down again, and I guess they‘re shovelling it up and carting it off again right now.

I went to Millennial Square to watch it and forced the teens to as well. We had a good discussion about how we all play different roles and have different responsibilities in society. Then we had a sausage roll and came home.

I thought it was grand, beautiful and moving.

I confess I’m now quite interested to find out who what why all the different uniforms and costumes are for. Who were those children in the Abbey stood in front of the choir? With the big red and yellow frocks on?

Children of the Chapel (choristers of the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace)

Who were those older men with the red and gold frocks carrying a little sceptre type rod in their right hand?

Kings of Arms

And what was going on with the swords held back over the shoulder with the blade caught behind the back while they were marching? Seems a bit awkward to me.

I think I must have gone to the loo for that bit

Comes from having absolutely fuck all else to do.

Seriously, they don't. They came recruiting to our school last year and banged on continuously about the amount of free time and how you could basically get paid for playing rugby if you were good enough.

Back
Top Bottom