Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen's state funeral.

Wahey! One of the horses is breaking ranks there!

ETA
I’m still watching on catch up so this time stamp is completely inaccurate. No idea when it was. Some super-watcher will no doubt have pinned it down. I guess Dan Wooten might mention it somewhere in the days to come.

Reverse arms and the related rest on arms reversed are military drill commands used as a mark of respect at funerals and on occasions of mourning, especially in the armed forces of Commonwealth nations. When marching in reverse arms the soldier's weapon is held pointing behind them and grasped behind their back. When resting on reversed arms the weapon points towards the ground and the eyes are lowered.

Thank you for explaining that. I didn’t even know how to search for it.

Probably bolted on because when the carriage left Westminster Hall at George V’s funeral the imperial state crown fell off.

I noticed that the head keeper of the Bearer Party checked to make sure the coffin was settled properly on the gun carriage when they set off from Westminster Hall. I immediately had visions of the whole thing toppling over and the coffin springing open.

I cunt people off for it at gigs.

If it’s shining in my eyes I’ll tell them to pack it in.

Imagine if they had to do this whole thing in the lashing rain. All those drooping plumes and sodden woollen costumes.

The horses are starting to get fed up aren’t they. All the head tossing and hoof stamping.

How does the orb stay in place on top of the coffin? Is it stuck down with a bit of Blu-tak?

It looked like everything else was held in place with brass pins so there's probably a pin that secures it. I used to work running events and some of them were in museums. They'd use something called "museum tack" to secure things. It must have been pretty strong because they used it on bronze statues that were kept outside year-round.

Last edited:

Reverse arms and the related rest on arms reversed are military drill commands used as a mark of respect at funerals and on occasions of mourning, especially in the armed forces of Commonwealth nations. When marching in reverse arms the soldier's weapon is held pointing behind them and grasped behind their back. When resting on reversed arms the weapon points towards the ground and the eyes are lowered.

I bet the bloke who invented this backwards position never had to march for hours uphill and down dale with his arm behind his back holding a weapon. Looks like proper pins and needles to me.

........what was going on with the swords held back over the shoulder with the blade caught behind the back while they were marching? Seems a bit awkward to me.
Was it the sword equivalent of the firearms being held reversed?

ETA: sorry, only just caught up with thread, already posted I think by spitfire

Imagine if they had to do this whole thing in the lashing rain. All those drooping plumes and sodden woollen costumes.

The horses are starting to get fed up aren’t they. All the head tossing and hoof stamping.

Along with metal pikes and helmets pointed directly at the sky ....

This reminds me of the time I picked up a couple of hitchhikers at the Cherry Blossom Roundabout, the trad place for anyone hitching West to wait (Olds will know where this is….. ) The funeral procession went out on the Westway, past the Fuller’s London Pride brewery (which, until fairly recently, still delivered their beer by dray horse and wagon) and through this roundabout. Anyway, I picked up this couple of lads who had travelled across Europe with their skateboards and backpacks aiming for the Glastonbury Festival, which was where I was going too. They were knackered and very relieved to get a lift all the way. I assumed they’d sleep and kept checking on them but they spent the whole journey gazing out the windows. Eventually one of them said “Your country is so beautiful, so green.“ It kinda opened my eyes to that. I mean, I knew I found it beautiful but the tone of envious awe in his voice made me look at it a-fresh. Also, it wasn’t especially green cos it was mid-June and the harvest was already underway, the weather had been hot and to my British eye it all looked a bit baked. I guess the trees were all in their summer green though. And his words gave me a tiny glimpse of his own homeland, dry and sere and yellow under the flat summer skies.

I imagine it's easy to forget how beautiful it is if you rarely make it out of the city.

I assumed they’d set the route to make sure there were no steps but here we are!

It looked a bit undignified, all that jerky step-by-step ascent.

And by gum! they should have had discreet little earpods and a remote order-giver so it could all appear to be done by telepathy and magic instead of the posh tones of the chap in charge saying “Bearer-party, stand still… Bearer party, raise coffin” etc.

When they took her to Westminster hall via horse-drawn gun carriage the other day the horses doing that job spent the whole time looking unhappy. It was the main thing I noticed during that event.

Back
Top Bottom