Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pro Cycling 2022

Nice to get back to other races now; Tour of Wallonia has looked good. Quite a few stars who never made it to the French thing including Alaphilipe (since withdrawn due to Covid), Girmay and Merlier.
San Sebastián at the weekend :)

I would be ashamed to wear clothes that promote the dictatorial sectarian statelet of Bahrain. Is Fred Wright aware of what a bunch of murderous shits the ruling family are? If he isn't, would you mind telling him when you see him?

And the Urban75 thread on Bahraini Royal shittery.

Bahrain protests
This is a good point and goes across all sports. I wonder whether young Fred has thought about this? did he have a choice?
Do pro cyclists make ethical decisions about team sponsors?
There are certainly many vexed Newcastle United fans that touches the same issue.

Reactions: tim
Just saw a tweet from Geraint Thomas referring to the Commonwealth Games as the commies.
I'm sure the games organisers wouldn't have seen the funny side of that.
Is he a bit of a lefty?

Yeah, he got the timing spot on, as Démarre looked like he had the same top speed.

Did the UK have a team in it? I watched the last hour and heard no mention at all.

There was no GB team; the potential riders might have prioritised the Commonwealth games and not been able to get any more time off from their teams.

Also, Viviani cocked up his sprint in the road race but after riding 200km he went to the track and easily won the Elimination race gold!!!!

I know it's not pro stuff...I've been watching the European track racing with Carlton Kirby and Joanna Rowsell-Shand and have to say I am loving her input. She is clearly very knowledgeable and is communicating that knowledge well, but like Boardman. She is also coming across with a quietly dry Sense of humour which she occasionally takes out on Kirby. 👍

I know it's not pro stuff...I've been watching the European track racing with Carlton Kirby and Joanna Rowsell-Shand and have to say I am loving her input. She is clearly very knowledgeable and is communicating that knowledge well, but like Boardman. She is also coming across with a quietly dry Sense of humour which she occasionally takes out on Kirby. 👍

I watched last night's session and as time went on she really was teasing old Carlton who took it in good stead. they made a good team.
She's a bit pro-British though and didn't seem pleased with Kirby when he said he was going with the French guy to win.

I wonder how long she could put up with him; she sounds like she is giving him a right stare at times, like she could kill him.

I wonder how long she could put up with him; she sounds like she is giving him a right stare at times, like she could kill him.

They seemed to be getting on alright last night but I skipped everything apart from the elimination races. I guess it's the in between races banter that does her head in.
Must admit I do like Kirby as he brings a nice balance; Boulting tries to all technical and expert (that's why they have an ex-pro on there!) and Hatch has just become an excitable child.

Vuelta predictions anyone ?

Remco is a great racer but this doesn't equate to a GC contender. If you look at the Giro & Tour this year it was simply about who was the better climber.
I'd go for Carapaz or Hindley but I'm unsure about their recent form.

Vuelta predictions anyone ?

Remco is a great racer but this doesn't equate to a GC contender. If you look at the Giro & Tour this year it was simply about who was the better climber.
I'd go for Carapaz or Hindley but I'm unsure about their recent form.
Doh :facepalm:

I tried.

Slightly odd this, as it’s not a doping rules violation, but a safety one. Having taken tramadol I can see why - I certainly wouldn’t want to ride my bike whilst on it, I’d be all over the place :eek:
He's going to appeal at the CAS but in the meantime he's taken the huff and withdrawn from the Vuelta.

Bit of a day in your of Denmark today. 9 gravel sections and lots of dodgy street furniture everywhere, even in the last 2k riders were on the pavement or riding over speed humps. Gee really laid into someone coming of of the final right hander and Jumbo's took 1 & 2.
Thinking of twistedAM 's comments, what makes a great GT. TT's, Tatt's, mountains, sprints, cobbles, gravel. I'm not to keen on cobbles in a GT, they are best left for Roubaix. Even less keen on gravel as it really opens it up to luck and chance. In a given GT, should the emphasis be on climbing one year and sprints the next?

Bit of a day in your of Denmark today. 9 gravel sections and lots of dodgy street furniture everywhere, even in the last 2k riders were on the pavement or riding over speed humps. Gee really laid into someone coming of of the final right hander and Jumbo's took 1 & 2.
Thinking of twistedAM 's comments, what makes a great GT. TT's, Tatt's, mountains, sprints, cobbles, gravel. I'm not to keen on cobbles in a GT, they are best left for Roubaix. Even less keen on gravel as it really opens it up to luck and chance. In a given GT, should the emphasis be on climbing one year and sprints the next?

Gravel and also cobbles bring a luck element into it but then again the mountains are unlucky if you're much over 60kg. And the climbing aficionados also moan about wind echelons as if that is a game of chance - no you bring along some classics riders instead of mountain goats in your team; Sky always did that. I'd love to see the Tour hug the coast searching for winds, some northern French murs plus a few days in the Massif Central

I'm just grumpy because marketing forces say GTs are the biggest thing in cycling.

My three most memorable moments of the year so far:
  • Mohoric descent at Milan-San-Remo
  • Remco 30km attack at LBL
  • Remco 50km attack and subsequent time trial at Classic San Sebastián

Last edited:
Seeing today's stage I recall riding Paris to Amsterdam many years ago. We would have welcomed a hill or three. It was flat and straight and straight and flat....boring as hell.

Seeing today's stage I recall riding Paris to Amsterdam many years ago. We would have welcomed a hill or three. It was flat and straight and straight and flat....boring as hell.

I just watched the final few clicks of that and the Hamburg Cyclassics which was dull apart from Van Aert snatching defeat in a five man break (it would have been a mass sprint apart from a mass crash that I missed but apparently created the breakaway). He got proper mugged.

Back
Top Bottom