Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince Harry

Imagine having all the media attention all your life though, without choice. And doubled down with the same attention finishing off your own mother. At least someone who chooses to embark on a career which ends up with fame has likely grown up with a relatively normal childhood (in most cases), and could drop out of the fame game without consequence and return to some degree of anonymity. Even most celebrities can walk down the street and do relatively normal things without armed guard.

I'd probably have done the same thing.

The flappy-headed fools seem to like the royals, not too sure how that will pan out once Harry and Meghan appear and suck up $1m a year of Canadian taxes for their security costs...
Imagine having all the media attention all your life though, without choice. And doubled down with the same attention finishing off your own mother. At least someone who chooses to embark on a career which ends up with fame has likely grown up with a relatively normal childhood (in most cases), and could drop out of the fame game without consequence and return to some degree of anonymity. Even most celebrities can walk down the street and do relatively normal things without armed guard.

I'd probably have done the same thing.

I have some sympathy with that view - it's not a life I'd choose and I'd run a bloody mile from any kind of public life - I think the problem they are going to have is that they don't appear to be running away and living a normal life on a farm in Manitoba a days drive from the nearest shop, they seem to think they can live a kind of hybrid Royal/Celeb/private life where they are Royal when they choose to be and private when not, only dealing with favoured (and presumably high paying) media and on their terms, and also being a commercial entity.

It appears to be a very badly thought out plan with little room for anything but that which they wish to be true - no thought for the Recency Act, or their security costs and who will pay for them, no real thought about how they will navigate the rather difficult line between Royal, Celeb/influencer, and private family apart from 'everyone will love us!'. I'm afraid they will start off as a hybrid of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and the Kardashian, and end up as Katie Price.

I have some sympathy with that view - it's not a life I'd choose and I'd run a bloody mile from any kind of public life - I think the problem they are going to have is that they don't appear to be running away and living a normal life on a farm in Manitoba a days drive from the nearest shop, they seem to think they can live a kind of hybrid Royal/Celeb/private life where they are Royal when they choose to be and private when not, only dealing with favoured (and presumably high paying) media and on their terms, and also being a commercial entity.

It appears to be a very badly thought out plan with little room for anything but that which they wish to be true - no thought for the Recency Act, or their security costs and who will pay for them, no real thought about how they will navigate the rather difficult line between Royal, Celeb/influencer, and private family apart from 'everyone will love us!'. I'm afraid they will start off as a hybrid of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and the Kardashian, and end up as Katie Price.

Quite. He is the same kind of ranking as Margaret was, she was free to fuck around on Mustique and Bequia and get on with her sloth and gluttony, cos she was out of the limelight. Hewitt seems to want his privacy whilst trying to rake in the lucre with his brand, "Sussex Royal". Can't really have it both ways.

Last edited:
Lots of former servicemen struggle to adapt to civilian life but then most of them don't have a family worth billions
This is actually quite cheering to me it's not so long since him and Bald Billy were being feted as having reinvigorated the Firm
I stick to my prediction that when Brenda pegs it there will a lot of rethinking of do we need them. We will be stuck with Chucky but there is a real chance of one of Australia, Canada or New Zealand becoming a republic
No chance with Australia or NZ. They fucking love them out there.

they seem to think they can live a kind of hybrid Royal/Celeb/private life where they are Royal when they choose to be and private when not, only dealing with favoured (and presumably high paying) media and on their terms, and also being a commercial entity.
they're probably right tbf

No chance with Australia or NZ. They fucking love them out there.
We'll see personally I think that once Brenda pegs it we are more likely to see politicians floating the idea of republicanism
Perhaps Billy the Bald and his very photogenic wife have indeed given the monarchy a greater impetus but personally I can see most of the Commonwealth dropping them after King Chucky the Grey has been in the throne for a few years.
Not us sadly I reckon we will have them for another 50-100 years

You'll be a modern methuselah then
Queen's death will be a big existential moment, and then Charles has got no more than 20 years in him. I reckon they've got 40 years of state funding tops. ..the generation of citizens who really believe in the monarchy will be a lot smaller by then too

The real question is which side will Elton John go with? If he remains with the Windsor-Nonce faction they'll have to take Billy Bragg as their balladeer. :(

A rolling weekly head of state plucked from the rascal multitude by lottery or talent contest is a possible alternative for those who dont like presidential systems. Give it to a climate activist called Sharon for bonus mashup points.

Back
Top Bottom