Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post your most controversial food/drink opinions

You’re kind of right, and kind of weird. In that most humans are weird and enjoy ‘poison signals’, and you don’t.

Edit: dark chocolate?
Balanced as part of a dish - say with fruit or nuts or cake or something, then yes. On its own, not so much.

Plenty of vinegar smells like nursing home-grade stale piss. Not every type, there must be some differences that I can't be arsed to fathom.

Vinegar is just a scam for selling something that has gone off.

A bit like olives - some people got scammed trying to buy grapes, and one of them started a perverted trend.

It's not quite that simple. There is a map somewhere of preferred chip accompaniment. I live in a pocket of mushy pea territory.

e2a:

chip-shop-chips.png

Note Londoners opting for ketchup like the godless savages they are.
What a pile of shite, like people in ne wales have mayo or red sauce on chippy chips, wales is a curry sauce land, from west to east and north to south. Cheese is not a condiment, no cunt just has cheese, this has been pulled out of some dickheads arse

I was a vinegar refusenik for decades, just salt for me all through childhood, teenage years, right up to about 32 or something. But vinegar on chips is fucking great, I made mistakes and I have regrets

Tastes change over time too. You get new taste buds every few days, and the stem cells generating them cycle completely every few years.

A mate of mine started liking olives when he was 50, so once a year I give one a try, just in case.

So far so disgusting.

Tastes change over time too. You get new taste buds every few days, and the stem cells generating them cycle completely every few years.

A mate of mine started liking olives when he was 50, so once a year I give one a try, just in case.

So far so disgusting.
I can eat olives now, that's a recent thing, last year or two. Don't love them though, wouldn't choose them, still think they are a bit wanky and everybody would prefer some beef mccoys

I was like that with mince pies as well as olives, anchovies, seafood, aubergines and courgettes. You should try things you think you hate every few years as you might end up loving them, or you can choose to be a narrow minded ketchup-sucking baby who only eats a few bland things

There's some weird red American 'chip salt' I've seen in the chippy. Might be that.

Yeah, that also has MSG, onion and garlic in. It’s a bit more subtle when just salt and paprika but I like both

Sometimes there’s a separate salt shaker and paprika shaker.

I was like that with mince pies as well as olives, anchovies, seafood, aubergines and courgettes. You should try things you think you hate every few years as you might end up loving them, or you can choose to be a narrow minded ketchup-sucking baby who only eats a few bland things

Aubergines are a thing many people cook badly. You need to slice them up, cover them in salt for a bit then rinse the salt off before cooking.

Aubergines are a thing many people cook badly. You need to slice them up, cover them in salt for a bit then rinse the salt off before cooking.

Tried that, no joy.

I’ve had some great dishes with aubergine in, mind, just no good with them myself.

Yeah. I avoid veggie dishes with aubergine in due to the odds it'll be cooked badly. Same with courgettes - often slathered in oil. I was once served horizontally sliced courgette that felt exactly like putting a tongue in my mouth, and not in a good way.

Tried that, no joy.

I’ve had some great dishes with aubergine in, mind, just no good with them myself.

Try 1cm thick slices, grilled with a bare minimum of olive oil. They're rubbish if you cook them in a sauce.

Back
Top Bottom