Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post your most controversial food/drink opinions

Yes. It was to remove the bitterness, which you don't need to do anymore. Same with courgettes. Aubergines don't need the arse cooking out of them. I even do them in stir fries cubed.
I think salting aubergines has always been a western thing anyway. I don’t think it’s done in Asian cookery. Put them in salt water sometimes but that’s to stop them from going brown rather than remove bitterness. Usually they just go straight into curries but Mrs S salts them for other stuff.

Pani Puri? That's the only puri I know. Nice but can't be dipped in a curry or scoop anything.
Different. Puri (bread) is like a deep fried paratha. Bhatura in Punjabi. They puff up into a ball so they can clog your arteries more efficiently.

bhatura-56a510d53df78cf772862c65.jpg

Last edited:
very true. Also makes a better companion to beans, cheese, scrambled eggs, etc.

Sourdough’s better for cold toppings like salami.

Dunno, good sough dough, sliced thick, toasted with loads of butter, is a thing of beauty.

With marmite, but I'm happy to accept that will fall into the controversial food opinions.

Dunno, good sough dough, sliced thick, toasted with loads of butter, is a thing of beauty.

With marmite, but I'm happy to accept that will fall into the controversial food opinions.

Perhaps it’s because my teeth are knackered but I find sourdough to be a bit like eating tree bark. Also my brother-in-law is a bit of pretentious twat with regard to it (ditto “proper coffee”) so I’m blinded by my prejudice. Perhaps “Complan” is my food destiny?

I also believe Ham and Pineapple to be one of the greatest pizzas ever so it’s good to see there appears to be plenty of support for it on this thread.

It's not snobby to acknowledge that some lagers taste a fuck of a lot better than others - snobby would be actually choosing to go without a beer instead of drinking an inferior one. Although if Bud Light is the only option, it might be an idea to check whether wine, liquor, or cooking sherry is available instead.
or drain cleaner.

In my defence it’s a Glasgow Jew thing - sliced very thinly on fresh challah with a bit of Hellman’s and slices of pickled cucumber. Absolute perfection. :D [emoji6]

That sounds good. I'm a big fan of meat, pickles and flat bread combos.

But yeah, don't like offal generally either.

Steak and kidney pudding. Tripe soup. Liver pate. Sweetbreads!!!

Offal forms an essential part of some of the finest things in life.

Can live without the first and will actively avoid the rest TBH. Jelly has already been mentioned but jellatinus food stuffs in general are knawsiating horrors. Not really controversial though I spose.

Italian food is well overrated.

Can live without the first and will actively avoid the rest TBH. .
I think it's the thought of offal that puts people off mostly. If you were to try sweetbread, for instance, without knowing what it was, you might just discover that it is delicious. They tried by giving it a fancy name, but it doesn't seem to have worked. :(

I'd be up for trying more of it, but maybe don't have the budget. When I've ordered a pasta dish I often think I could cook it as well and my portions are bigger.

Is Pizza even Italian anymore?

Don't get me wrong, I've had some nice Italian meals but yeah, I always think of the pasta dishes, I could do that at home. Tomatos and basil. Bosh.

I think my favourite pizza in Bristol might be the ones in Renartos. Who are Italian. I went to one pizza place in Hern Bay where they advertise it as one of only a few official Italian ways of doing pizza in the UK :rolleyes: I mean it was fine but couldn't see what the hype / USP was about.

I think it's the thought of offal that puts people off mostly. If you were to try sweetbread, for instance, without knowing what it was, you might just discover that it is delicious. They tried by giving it a fancy name, but it doesn't seem to have worked. :(

This is why I like tongue and black pudding. Eat them as a child, before really knowing what they were. I mean, I thought it can't actually be tongue, that'd be groce. Mum said er, yeah it is. OK well, too late I've been eating it now and it's alright.

Back
Top Bottom