Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

perfect toaster :)

I never get this...mine goes up to five or something....what sort of bread would stand up to five minutes of toasting? :confused: STUPID TOASTERS! :mad:

I get round the *big bread/small slot* problem by toasting in short bursts and rotating (upside down AND round the other way....cos it invariably always toasts more on one side than the other too)....it's all very, VERY tiring :( :mad: :(

I refer you to posts #15 and #27, bobbles :hmm:

Once I get dressed :rolleyes: :p ...I'm going to do some poached eggs on toast...so I think an experiment is in order :cool: :hmm:

Unfortunately Bread doesn't melt. It sublimes (skips straight from solid to gas) at a few hundred degrees Celsius. This 'Gaseous Bread' is what actually burns. Bread cannot be a liquid because it's structure is (largely) a polymer of glucose molecules forming Starch. In order to take on a liquid state the glucose molecules would have to detach themselves from each other and slide around. The temperature required for this to happen is so high that Glucose (which is not a very stable molecule) just breaks up, forming a gas (which arguably is not really gaseous bread but gaseous glucose).
:)

:D thats made my day that has. Educational stuff

tbf i knew about sublimation but that's a great explanation :cool: (which reminds me the bbc4 series on materials atm is really really good, done metals, still have plastics and ceramics to go :))

We had a wrap in the end :(

Although it only just occurred to me that there doesn't actually need to be bread in the toaster to do the experiment.. :confused: :hmm: :rolleyes: :facepalm:

I'm going back down RIGHT NOW :mad: *sets timer* :cool:

BRB!

Btw - my toaster goes up to 7 :D - I think we can safely assume that that = *BURNING THE FUCKING HOUSE DOWN*

My son came in when the alarm started going off....'What's happened?'....'Errrrrrrr :oops: ....nothing! :-| '

Two minutes is spot on with one of these:

4+slices.jpg

Just taken a pic of some evenly toasted bread from my deLonghi but I can't be arsed getting it from my phone.

I *nearly* took a picture of the massive pile of burnt lumps of old toast that I retrieved from the toaster once I'd put the fire out....but my phone was upstairs, so I tipped them into the sink instead.

Btw - my toaster goes up to 7 :D - I think we can safely assume that that = *BURNING THE FUCKING HOUSE DOWN*

My son came in when the alarm started going off....'What's happened?'....'Errrrrrrr :oops: ....nothing! :-| '

did you ever think about the fact that people might put things in toasters besides bread :eek::hmm::confused::eek::D

I certainly have

Yes but nothing that'd take THAT much longer...waffles, crumpets, drop scones etc....you'd have to be cooking fucking burgers or something to warrant using the 7 setting! :eek:

simple, right? it has a sensor that detects *how brown* the toast is, and pops at the required brownness. 2 settings: white and brown bread :)

why doesn't it exist yet? :(

I was forcibly reminded today by my incredibly slowly toasting sourdough white that toast made from different bread varies massively in how fast it browns.

The only way to really detect browning I think would be to have some kind of visual sensor, so probably a camera. To work well it would have to analyse the shade of the bread when it started (because some breads are darker than others), and then at set intervals as it toasted.

It would need some kind of algorithm to determine how much darker the bread should be at point B than it was at point A, and one would need to consider the question as to whether this would be the same for all types of bread - I suspect not as brown toast may not be as dark relative to brown bread as white toast is to white bread. Pumpernickel for instance is not that much different when toasted, possibly lighter even. Perhaps one would just have to accept that pumpernickel toast was off the menu.

I think there's some fairly complex programming having to happen there anyway, and research into the question of "how brown constitutes toasted" for different shades of bread. There may also have to be a couple of manual settings for type of bread and toastedness.

All of this would have to be heatproof also.

I'm sure the technology exists but possibly not yet at high street prices.

Reactions: Ax^
burgers might go in those wierd silicone bags, maybe that's what the 7 is for, I can't believe it's a good idea though.

The other snag with time based toasting is that the right time will depend on how fresh the bread is - once bread has been around a few days, it's that bit drier (without being 'stale') and thus requires less toasting time.

My toasting style is a few short spells in the toaster - this allows the toast to be turned round at one of the intervals to ensure a more even toasting, and to see how it's doing. Whatever setting I have my toaster on, bread tends to require 3 or 4 goes before it's done, or 4 or 5 if it's frozen (the bread that is not the toaster)

I'm not a fan of the conveyor belt type toasters - only really met them in hotels and such - my experience was that one circuit = no visible toasting; two circuits = severely burnt toast. :(

I was forcibly reminded today by my incredibly slowly toasting sourdough white that toast made from different bread varies massively in how fast it browns.

The thickness of the slice has a relevance as well - thin slice = further from the element.

Think the toaster at work is designed for toasting gigantic crumpets or waffles, if you put in a normal slice of bread it's so far from the heat it takes ages to toast.

The thickness of the slice has a relevance as well - thin slice = further from the element.

Think the toaster at work is designed for toasting gigantic crumpets or waffles, if you put in a normal slice of bread it's so far from the heat it takes ages to toast.

That's a good point. Distance from the element might confuse the camera into thinking the toast was darker than it actually was.

Back
Top Bottom