Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Perfect crackling

How are your electric bills?

This is why I'm liking the air fryer suggestion on the previous page, could halve the energy usage.
Not that I am going to put pork fat in the air fryer that I share with my OH who doesn't eat meat though :hmm:

I still wouldn’t say I can do it every time, and am now looking back at spitfire ’s photos which look and sound so gorgeous
But I think I’ve identified what I want: Crispy, rather than Crunchy crackling. I’ve broken two teeth on crackling, one of which I cooked myself.
The other week I made a very slow cooked joint, wrapped in foil over a trivet of veg and liquid. Th skin/ rind was all flubbery and I had to take it off carefully with a sharp knife and two spatulas, finally got it into a hot oven and it ended up being the best crackling I’ve ever had
What I learned from this was (and it makes sense to me) crackliing up a piece of rind that is so strong you need to find a Stanley knife to score it properly is one thing
Crackling up a flubbery piece of soft skin is another

I got some ribs for the bbq on Friday and cooked them last night. Very nice but I digress.

The butcher took the skin off for me and was about to throw it in the bin but I wasn’t having that so have some skin in the fridge that just needs to be cooked one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom