Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How to make the perfect cup of tea

My perfect cup of tea, you mean if neonwilderness won't make me one :D!

Erm...warm the tea pot, add 2 or 3 teaspoons of leaf tea, Ceylon preferably, pour on just off the boil water. Coverpot with a tea cosy. Leave for a few minutes. Pick a nice mug (I rarely do cups!) put in the milk, pour in the tea.

However my general everyday method, especially at work, is tea bag in a large mug, pour over boilng water, put in milk, leave for a bit until it is strong enough to stand a spoon up in, fish out the teabag with fingers/the end of a pen. Drink. Lovely :cool:

I'm curious to know if it really makes that much difference if the water is drawn straight from the tap, or if the kettle isn't left boiling for too long.
I probably don't have the palate for it ...
The theory is that you need oxygen in the water to brew the tea properly. The longer you leave the water boiling, the less oxygen is left in it.

Er, no. If you pour boiling water into a mug already containing milk and a tea bag, the tea won't be brewed at all because the milk will cool the boiling water.
Not to mention clogging up the holes. It's an impossibility to make a decent cuppa like that.

I do think as well that the hardness of water makes a difference. When I was in a soft-water area working hard for several weeks I needed a decent cuppa. Me and my daughter were scouring the shelves of the Co-op looking for bottled water with the highest calcium content we could find to make a cuppa that didn't look wan and taste slightly soapy. We looked like a right pair of poseurs making our tea with Evian.

I do think as well that the hardness of water makes a difference. When I was in a soft-water area working hard for several weeks I needed a decent cuppa. Me and my daughter were scouring the shelves of the Co-op looking for bottled water with the highest calcium content we could find to make a cuppa that didn't look wan and taste slightly soapy. We looked like a right pair of poseurs making our tea with Evian.
The tea companies supply different tea blends to hard and soft water areas. If you buy the tea in the soft water area it should be nicer than any made with stuff you've brought with you.

Soft water is evil slimy non-thirst quenching stuff. :mad:

A cup of tea should last no more than a couple of minutes

A cup of tea should be left standing for the length of time it takes you to consume a danish pastry/belgian bun then necked in a oner with the residual icing from the cake that's coating your mouth adding just the right amount of sweetness to the cuppa. Everything else is mere detail.

Saying that though, people who put the milk in first are mad - The water has to be boiling to allow the tea leaves to infuse, adding milk at the start of the equation prevents the water from being at boiling point as it hits the tea. Putting the milk in first is anti science.

Saying that though, people who put the milk in first are mad - The water has to be boiling to allow the tea leaves to infuse, adding milk at the start of the equation prevents the water from being at boiling point as it hits the tea. Putting the milk in first is anti science.
Have teapots not yet reached your neck of the woods?

A cup of tea should be left standing for the length of time it takes you to consume a danish pastry/belgian bun then necked in a oner with the residual icing from the cake that's coating your mouth adding just the right amount of sweetness to the cuppa. Everything else is mere detail.

Putting the milk in first and brewing the perfect cuppa on top of it is pure science. :cool:

I believe it's something to do with bone china cups shattering with boiling water.

Bone china won't shatter, it's because of the tannin stains. Tea without milk will stain white china much more readily than tea with milk. Doesn't matter nowadays with modern detergents and sponges, but the Victorians had to rely on dish cloths and elbow grease.

Bone china won't shatter, it's because of the tannin stains. Tea without milk will stain white china much more readily than tea with milk. Doesn't matter nowadays with modern detergents and sponges, but the Victorians had to rely on dish cloths and elbow grease.
That's why you should always drink tea from a very dark mug.

Just made myself a 2 cup pot of tea with one tea bag. Left for 5 mins to brew. Milk in first (from my special non spill milk jug as badgers was sick of me actually crying over spilt milk all the time :facepalm: :oops: ).
Second cup more milk as it will have had an extra 5 -10 mins brewing.
I find that tea doesn't get so stewed in a pot with a tea bag than with leaves.

I do miss a big pot with leaves for all the family but I am the only one who drinks it every day here,

Back
Top Bottom