Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pedestrian jailed for causing death of cyclist

I'm repeatedly annoyed by clueless cyclists - but to be fair there are pedestrians that expect others to get out of their way - and I routinely get barged past on the pavement while I'm waiting for others ahead of me...
It's just that wheels tend to skew the balance of power - but not a wobbly 77 year old on a Raleigh shopper ...

I'm appalled that on Twitter many anti cyclists are referring to the victim using words such as "doddery" and "old bint" while referring to the younger woman as "disabled" and "partially sighted" as if that could ever be a defence for how she behaved. And they seem to be in denial about the route which is I think, by default, a shared use path, because there is signage to support that, and no signage to mark an end to shared use status. Now imagine self righteous motorists all bleating about getting fined for speeding but with no sign up to state that the speed limit had lowered.

& I've been bullied off shared use pavements by pedestrians before and have often thought that something like this would happen one day. So I have such empathy for this poor woman who died, and her husband. Of course the guilty woman won't actually serve 3 years. All those shouting about this being a disproportionate sentence really need to stop comparing it to how motorists are sentenced after killing cyclists. We know there is a problem there and that motorists need much more severe punishment - this is part of why so many roads are no go zones for cyclists. I'm terrified to cycle. I have a £1000 e-bike which I haven't used since last summer because the way drivers behave around cyclists in Kent absolutely terrifies me.

My other point is that nobody seems to have considered that maybe the motorist bears some responsibility here too. We're all taught how to spot hazards and apply emergency braking - so did she attempt to stop? Was she keeping a look out for hazards or was she distracted? We'll never know I suspect because nobody gives a crap.

I don't know if the path had been marked out with a line with one 'lane' for cyclists and one for pedestrains, but Frank is right: the cyclist was riding exactly where she should have been: on the designated cycle path
You appear to have better information than the police in this case.
"Police inquiries failed to establish whether the pavement was a shared cycle-way or not."

From here
Generally true for sure, last summer we had a spate of women/students being pushed off their bikes into the canal by local hard men. But I'm 6'1 and I've had both drivers and gangs of lads on foot go down the attempted abuse/intimidation route with me too. Some of it is just the fact that they are bellends, but the endless anti cyclist agenda of car brains is definitley a factor too.
This happened to a poster on here a few weeks ago.

Was that reported anywhere? I haven't seen it.

"Sentencing Grey on Thursday, Judge Sean Enright said she was "territorial about the pavement" and "resented" the cyclist being there.
The court was told about Grey's health issues but the judge told her: "These actions are not explained by disability."
Judge Enright also slammed her "dishonest account in the police interview" and said there was "not a word about remorse until today".

David, Celia's husband of 53 years, said "rarely a day goes by without thinking of her" in a victim impact statement.

Gillian Hayter, Celia's daughter, added: "The lack of any remorse from the accused cannot be underestimated in having a profound effect on us all."

"A probation officer's report stated that Ms Grey has difficulty expressing emotions but does write them down. Her barrister Miranda Moore KC continued: "That is her way of communicating the distress, remorse and empathy she feels for all the people involved and she showed these notes to the officer.

"She does not express emotions as you or I might, but the probation officer was able to be aware of them and the acknowledgement of the devastating impact her actions have had on all.""

From here

"Police inquiries failed to establish whether the pavement was a shared cycle-way or not."
And if the police don't know then how is anyone else supposed to know. It is continuous with a section of pavement that is shared use so most people using it would have no reason to think otherwise. And anyway you're ignoring that fact that judge decided it was a shared use path.

From here

This happened to a poster on here a few weeks ago.

"A probation officer's report stated that Ms Grey has difficulty expressing emotions but does write them down. Her barrister Miranda Moore KC continued: "That is her way of communicating the distress, remorse and empathy she feels for all the people involved and she showed these notes to the officer.

"She does not express emotions as you or I might, but the probation officer was able to be aware of them and the acknowledgement of the devastating impact her actions have had on all.""

From here
Yet she didn’t give a shit when someone was run over and killed in front of her as a result of her challenge? That is some breathtaking denial of reality and/or cause and effect

And if the police don't know then how is anyone else supposed to know. It is continuous with a section of pavement that is shared use so most people using it would have no reason to think otherwise. And anyway you're ignoring that fact that judge decided it was a shared use path.
Another article it said there was nothing marking it as such from the pedestrians direction of travel. So you're right how is anyone supposed to know? That was kind of my point. How is the pedestrian supposed to know? So the judge saying it is a shared path after the fact and using it to put her in prison for up to three years seems a little harsh.

Another article it said there was nothing marking it as such from the pedestrians direction of travel. So you're right how is anyone supposed to know? That was kind of my point. How is the pedestrian supposed to know? So the judge saying it is a shared path after the fact and using it to put her in prison for up to three years seems a little harsh.
I think that the crime committed would still be a crime even if it wasn't a shared use path. Or it should be. The woman was 77. I'm only 56 and I'm terrified to cycle on the road already.

That said I'm really not an advocate of prison so yeah i do feel bad that she's getting locked up but that's the system we have. Without that what justice do cyclists and their families have at all?

Yet she didn’t give a shit when someone was run over and killed in front of her as a result of her challenge? That is some breathtaking denial of reality and/or cause and effect
Where is that written? I saw a reference up thread to her going to the shops after but haven't seen that reported.

I think that the crime committed would still be a crime even if it wasn't a shared use path. Or it should be. The woman was 77. I'm only 56 and I'm terrified to cycle on the road already.
I'm not saying it wouldn't but it obviously has some relevance.
I was hit by a van a few years ago. Lucky to walk away from it.

See Jennaonthebeach post which saves me the job.

Or see the comments of the Judge

“Cambridgeshire County Council subsequently reiterated that and said it would review the location, but in his sentencing remarks Judge Sean Enright said it was a shared cycleway.

From Reclaim The Streets, anti-road protests and Critical Mass to stale fart Top Gear viewers. There’s some on here that need to take a step back and get some perspective.

See my reply to Jenna.

I have. It’s all over the shop. Firstly, the Judge was clear that it was a shared path after the police failed to ‘categorically’ confirm the fact. Secondly, given the proximity of the car drivers speeding past on a narrow road where else exactly do you expect the cyclist to go? Thirdly, your argument that a possible reason the pedestrian reacted the way she did was because of a lack of clarity on the designated status of the path is risible

Grey expressed no remorse until sentencing. She could see the approaching car (which Celia Ward couldn’t) and she made physical contact with her. It may not have been a shove but she made contact. The woman who killed Celia Ward had her two year old in the car and is absolutely traumatised by what happened. There is more footage which hasn’t been released.

The judge said in summing it that it’s a shared pavement and Grey obviously doesn’t like shared pavements. I don’t have a lot of sympathy to be honest.
Jesus :eek: Well in which case fuck her - if the bit in bold is right then it sounds like she could/should have been tried for murder.
Yes, they could get off and push. If there are fuck all pedestrians about seems pointless though.
There’s also the trundling at near walking speed option.

Cyclists on non shared pavements is often, in practice at least, a grey area. It is against the law, but the law also suggests using extreme discretion when the roads the cyclists would otherwise be on are pretty unsafe for cyclists.

I have. It’s all over the shop. Firstly, the Judge was clear that it was a shared path after the police failed to ‘categorically’ confirm the fact. Secondly, given the proximity of the car drivers speeding past on a narrow road where else exactly do you expect the cyclist to go? Thirdly, your argument that a possible reason the pedestrian reacted the way she did was because of a lack of clarity on the designated status of the path is risible
If you read my reply I didn't disagree with the judge.

It looked to me like there was room on the other side of the pedestrian. I may be wrong. There was also the option to stop and let the pedestrian pass.

It was clearly an overreaction on her part. Swearing not kind but who gives a shit. Not moving the cyclist had options. Waving her arms about was shit and dangerous. I don't know why but she may have been reacting to what she thought was a cyclist where she thought (incorrectly but I'd understand the confusion) they don't belong.

That said I'm really not an advocate of prison so yeah i do feel bad that she's getting locked up but that's the system we have. Without that what justice do cyclists and their families have at all?

I'm 46 and not that keen on cyclists on the pavement. 🤷

Obviously I wouldn't push one in the road but a bit of shouting is fair. Exceptions made for kids.

Cyclists on non shared pavements is often, in practice at least, a grey area. It is against the law, but the law also suggests using extreme discretion when the roads the cyclists would otherwise be on are pretty unsafe for cyclists.

It’s one of those it’s against the law but the police ignore it, unless your a minority teen or being flagrantly shit, laws

I do consider it fine and I do it myself but if you do it you have to be going walking pace and willing to pay attention to the road and world and be willing to give way to pedestrians or walk if it’s to narrow.

To many roads are just not fit for purpose to cycle on.

Why risible. Given the Police apparently couldn't even say. yes judge after the fact, after asking the council Surely if it were that obvious, just looking at the footage would make it plain. Also she is partially sighted.

It’s one of those it’s against the law but the police ignore it, unless your a minority teen or being flagrantly shit, laws

I do consider it fine and I do it myself but if you do it you have to be going walking pace and willing to pay attention to the road and world and be willing to give way to pedestrians or walk if it’s to narrow.

To many roads are just not fit for purpose to cycle on.
That's what I do and then have some twat who thinks he's Lance Armstrong pass close at stupid speed without warning.

To which I would say, get off and walk. If there are pedestrians around. If there aren't then it's a bit trees falling in an empty forest. I think the new Highway Code at least makes this more explicit in terms of hierarchy risk wise.

Why risible. Given the Police apparently couldn't even say. yes judge after the fact, after asking the council Surely if it were that obvious, just looking at the footage would make it plain. Also she is partially sighted.
It’s risible because the designation of the road as motive for the actions of the pedestrian is not credible. The idea that had the designation been clear that the woman would not have reacted the way she did equally lacks credibility or a shred of evidence to back it up

Back
Top Bottom