Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pedestrian jailed for causing death of cyclist

I think the lack of a suspended sentence has something to do with the fact that after this poor woman was run over and killed, the defendant ignored the situation, no concern, just walked off to do her shopping and showed no remorse whatsoever for the consequences of her actions between her arrest and trial.

Generally true for sure, last summer we had a spate of women/students being pushed off their bikes into the canal by local hard men. But I'm 6'1 and I've had both drivers and gangs of lads on foot go down the attempted abuse/intimidation route with me too. Some of it is just the fact that they are bellends, but the endless anti cyclist agenda of car brains is definitley a factor too.

Such people are scum of course. But you do get cyclists on pavements who deliberately intimidate pedestrians too. Not to deny the existence of the wider anti cyclist stuff in the media.

How is that in any way victim blaming. Sue is quite clearly talking about a couple of instances that happened to her.

Fine if this is the boring anecdotes thread, but in the context of 'cyclist killed by pedestrian' it's a clear if backhanded attempt to diminish the crime and undermine the victim.

What have different cyclists on different pavements have to do with this case?

Are these cyclists now to blame for this woman's death?

That being intimidating to perceived weaker road users isn't the sole preserve of avowed anti cyclists.

Grey expressed no remorse until sentencing. She could see the approaching car (which Celia Ward couldn’t) and she made physical contact with her. It may not have been a shove but she made contact. The woman who killed Celia Ward had her two year old in the car and is absolutely traumatised by what happened. There is more footage which hasn’t been released.

The judge said in summing it that it’s a shared pavement and Grey obviously doesn’t like shared pavements. I don’t have a lot of sympathy to be honest.

Looking at the video I'm surprised that it is a shared pavement tbh, it doesn't look very wide. I would have expected something shared to be much wider with a line painted down the middle.
As for the case, well the actions of Pedestrian A definitely caused the death of Cyclist B and Pedestrian A didn't a shit afterwards so maybe 3 years is reasonable. We'll see if the appeal judge agrees.
People riding bikes on the pavement annoys me as well but killing them for it seems a bit OTT.

Looking at the video I'm surprised that it is a shared pavement tbh, it doesn't look very wide. I would have expected something shared to be much wider with a line painted down the middle.
As for the case, well the actions of Pedestrian A definitely caused the death of Cyclist B and Pedestrian A didn't a shit afterwards so maybe 3 years is reasonable. We'll see if the appeal judge agrees.
People riding bikes on the pavement annoys me as well but killing them for it seems a bit OTT.
2.4 meters which is wide enough for the bike and the woman but as weepiper said earlier it's an infrastructure problem that we don't seem to be getting right in this country.

2.4 meters which is wide enough for the bike and the woman but as weepiper said earlier it's an infrastructure problem that we don't seem to be getting right in this country.
Really? doesn't look anywhere near that in the video. Definitely agree wholeheartedly that infrastructure in this country is shit though a lot more people would cycle if cycles and motor vehicles were physically isolated so cars could actually get into cycle lanes. A lot of cycle lanes are just lines painted on the road, there should be a physical barrier between them.

Really? doesn't look anywhere near that in the video. Definitely agree wholeheartedly that infrastructure in this country is shit though a lot more people would cycle if cycles and motor vehicles were physically isolated so cars could actually get into cycle lanes. A lot of cycle lanes are just lines painted on the road, there should be a physical barrier between them.
If you watch the video in the BBC article, it’s much wider than it looks in the cctv. The reporter is standing at the spot and a man cycles past. Plenty of room.

Back
Top Bottom