Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pedestrian jailed for causing death of cyclist

tbh a bit of me thinks that if you don't like busy roads, you probably shouldn't be cycling in certain areas, and it is best to get off and walk if you feel you would rather use the pavement. That's often not what I see, though. What I see quite often is confident-looking young men (it is usually men) cycling on the pavement for no apparent reason.

That has no bearing whatever on this case, though.

It’s risible because the designation of the road as motive for the actions of the pedestrian is not credible. The idea that had the designation been clear that the woman would not have reacted the way she did equally lacks credibility or a shred of evidence to back it up

has this point been addressed by the judge. i.e Grey knew the status of the road? Otherwise it's just assumption. Possibly I need to read more on it if missed that, which is fair comment.

has this point been addressed by the judge. i.e Grey knew the status of the road? Otherwise it's just assumption. Possibly I need to read more on it if missed that, which is fair comment.
If it was shared access and Grey knew would she have then NOT caused the cyclist to swerve into the traffic? It’s a moot point as she would probably have acted no differently.

I'm not sure it changes too much even if she did have a sincere belief that the cyclist shouldn't have been on the pavement. It's still not ok to act as she did. It's still just as dangerous and reckless.

I think the lack of a suspended sentence has something to do with the fact that after this poor woman was run over and killed, the defendant ignored the situation, no concern, just walked off to do her shopping and showed no remorse whatsoever for the consequences of her actions between her arrest and trial.
exactly. The sentence suggests a bit more to it than just shouting and causing a horrific accident including she's probably a bit of an arsehole.

tbh a bit of me thinks that if you don't like busy roads, you probably shouldn't be cycling in certain areas, and it is best to get off and walk if you feel you would rather use the pavement. That's often not what I see, though. What I see quite often is confident-looking young men (it is usually men) cycling on the pavement for no apparent reason.

That has no bearing whatever on this case, though.
I stopped cycling like a cunt in my early thirties when the fear of death suddenly hit.

If it was shared access and Grey knew would she have then NOT caused the cyclist to swerve into the traffic? It’s a moot point as she would probably have acted no differently.

Maybe she would have done nothing or just muttered angrily, realising the cyclist had the right to be in that space instead. Maybe she didn't know and was fed up with being bottom of the pile as a disabled person using the street, and over reacted to a cyclist on the pavement.I don't know. People here seem to have cast her as a determined cyclist hater though cos of Clarkson or something.

Maybe she would have done nothing or just muttered angrily, realising the cyclist had the right to be in that space instead. I don't know. People here seem to have cast her as a determined cyclist hater though cos of Clarkson or something.

…and you.

To which I would say, get off and walk. If there are pedestrians around. If there aren't then it's a bit trees falling in an empty forest. I think the new Highway Code at least makes this more explicit in terms of hierarchy risk wise.
Tbh I do, if the space isn’t wide and there are pedestrians around, or if the space is wide but I get a feeling any pedestrians present might feel more vulnerable than most (older people for example). I’m both considerate and have a pretty high threshold for needing the pavement, probably because I cut my cycling teeth in Croydon :eek:

But I do remember one incident when wheeling my bike very carefully past someone didn’t stop them purposely whacking my legs with their stick, and another pedestrian blaming me for wheeling my bike exactly like you’re suggesting/existing. Being blamed for being physically assaulted. :(

Tbh I do, if the space isn’t wide and there are pedestrians around, or if the space is wide but I get a feeling any pedestrians present might feel more vulnerable than most (older people for example). I’m both considerate and have a pretty high threshold for needing the pavement, probably because I cut my cycling teeth in Croydon :eek:

But I do remember one incident when wheeling my bike very carefully past someone didn’t stop them purposely whacking my legs with their stick, and another pedestrian blaming me for wheeling my bike exactly like you’re suggesting/existing. Being blamed for being physically assaulted. :(

Fair enough. I certainly wouldn't deny their are arsholes on all forms of transport, shanks pony included. I've had grief from escooterists, pedestrians and mobility scooter riders for having the audacity to be walking on the pavement or something.

The trams in Croydon probably make it a bit more fraught for all involved too.

I did accidentily knock a woman off her bike once too crossing a side road in the rain. I was mortified , She was OK fortunately. Just for well, not balance, something about it can get complicated.

There's a huge shared space in London Docklands and I was cycling along it at the end of the working day (the alternative being a couple of dangerous roundabouts and a road without pavements, edged with concrete walls where cars race along) when a huge crowd of people came round the corner towards me. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep cycling so i got off and walked instead. It didn't stop some bloke in an expensive suit coming up to me and spitting on me though.

The pedestrian did make contact with the cyclist, intentionally, and that would usually be considered assault anyway. Three years only seems a lot because drivers get fuck all for much more dangerous and aggressive behaviour.

But that "shared path" is incredibly shit. It's not like the pedestrian went out of her way to attack the cyclist, there was barely any space between them at all. It's probably a scary space for both cyclists and pedestrians to use, and I bet this isn't the first time there's been an accident. Also it's not marked at all, so how is anyone supposed to know it's a shared space? The judge decided it was, but who knows on what evidence given that the police said they couldn't classify it. Wouldn't be surprised if the sentence is reduced at appeal - rightly or wrongly.

Shit infrastructure is about 90% of the cause here.

The pedestrian did make contact with the cyclist, intentionally, and that would usually be considered assault anyway. Three years only seems a lot because drivers get fuck all for much more dangerous and aggressive behaviour.

But that "shared path" is incredibly shit. It's not like the pedestrian went out of her way to attack the cyclist, there was barely any space between them at all. It's probably a scary space for both cyclists and pedestrians to use, and I bet this isn't the first time there's been an accident. Also it's not marked at all, so how is anyone supposed to know it's a shared space? The judge decided it was, but who knows on what evidence given that the police said they couldn't classify it. Wouldn't be surprised if the sentence is reduced at appeal - rightly or wrongly.

Shit infrastructure is about 90% of the cause here.
You can bet that they'll all be marked in that area very soon. That's easy to do. Harder to do is to create separate paths. Let's hope. tbh cycling infrastructure in the UK is improving, it's just not improving quickly enough, and it's improving from a very low base.

There's a huge shared space in London Docklands and I was cycling along it at the end of the working day (the alternative being a couple of dangerous roundabouts and a road without pavements, edged with concrete walls where cars race along) when a huge crowd of people came round the corner towards me. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep cycling so i got off and walked instead. It didn't stop some bloke in an expensive suit coming up to me and spitting on me though.
What a piece of shit.

Oh behave. :D

Look at yourself for just 1 minute through the eyes of your younger self. What would they think of a reactionary 46 year old frothing at the mouth over someone being held accountable for the manslaughter of a cyclist?

He said:

“ You resented the presence of an oncoming cyclist
“You are territorial about the pavement, and that is not explained by your disability
“This was a shared path for cyclists and pedestrians, I am sure you knew cyclists used the path, and were not taken by surprise.”

Look at yourself for just 1 minute through the eyes of your younger self. What would they think of a reactionary 46 year old frothing at the mouth over someone being held accountable for the manslaughter of a cyclist?

Interesting that the ageist toss this thread has given rise to. also brush up on your reading and comprehension skills. Look at what I’ve written consider maybe where I’m coming from. or something middle-aged, Clarkson something Clarkson a lot easier isn’t it.

Back
Top Bottom