Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pedestrian jailed for causing death of cyclist

Is that why people are saying she made contact? From videos where the view of the space between her left arm and the cyclist is totally obscured? Very good aye.

Last edited:
And it would help if the media and people on social media stopped with the cyclist hatred, even the supposed jokes all add up in a drip drip drip fashion and plays a part in people acting like this towards cyclists. This time someone has died which is very rare but this kind of abuse is not so please stfu next time you feel like joking about attacking a cyclist you think is doing something wrong.
OMG yes this. It was receiving abuse (for doing nothing wrong) when pregnant which led to me taking a break for several years. Even if it’s not frightening, it’s horrible and when it happens to me, I’ll often end up crying at some point afterwards. :(

The news report linked in the OP is titled "Woman who caused..." and the first sentence adds more than "shouting".

Great click baiting tbf but adds to the poisonous narrative that people have been talking about on this thread.

I’ll concede it is Clickbaity. But if you think I posted this thread, because I hate cyclists, that i’m fine with them being killed, that is a gross misreading.

I wonder if her cerebral palsy means she just isn't that capable of moving aside. Doesn't excuse her touching the cyclist - which was what caused the cyclist to go into the road, not the shouting - but it is a problem with shared paths that are as narrow as this one. You can't really expect pedestrians to move aside - I mean a solo pedestrian, not people walking in groups - because sometimes they aren't able to.

The judge said that her disability didn't play a part, but it seemed like he was talking about the touching, not the lack of dodging out of the way.

There was one time when I was cycling on a cycle path years ago that was next to a pedestrian path, all clearly marked (really clearly with the blue paint and cycle signs on the ground), but it was also the exact same path without any physical boundary. A pedestrian shouted at me, grabbed out at me and followed me to the crossing to shout some more, because they basically didn't give a shit that it was a cycle path. It was scary enough that I remember it years later and I'm not really a soft type.

But then I also avoid canal paths in the same area totally because too many of the cyclists go way too fast and don't bother to ring bells, definitely do expect pedestrians to jump out of the way, and are really, really pissed off at pedestrians with visible mobility difficulties who can't move fast enough for them - I was clipped loads of times before giving up on them as unsafe. Shared paths shouldn't mean "fully able-bodied pedestrians only" but in practice that's what they are.

Just too many fucking arseholes out there in general really.
The judge said "her actions can't be explained by disability" which suggests they've not really explored how her disability affects her specifically, seems to be a blanket statement about disability in general. A proportion of cerebral palsy sufferers also have learning difficulties too, which I'm wondering might have an impact on her ability to show remorse etc, but it doesn't sound like they've factored that in. Potentially a very vulnerable person in prison, grim situation for all concerned really.

I’ll concede it is Clickbaity. But if you think I posted this thread, because I hate cyclists, that i’m fine with them being killed, that is a gross misreading.
I don't think that. I do think the thread title is grim and should be changed. She was not jailed for shouting at a cyclist, she was jailed for acting in a way that directly led to the death of a cyclist. Whether she touched the cyclist or not is completely irrelevant to the dishonesty of the title which ignores the outcomes of her shouting as is they are of no matter.

And that's the impression you give here, that the death of a person doesn't bother you, but someone being jailed for causing that death does.

I don't think that. I do think the thread title is grim and should be changed. She was not jailed for shouting at a cyclist, she was jailed for acting in a way that directly led to the death of a cyclist. Whether she touched the cyclist or not is completely irrelevant to the dishonesty of the title which ignores the outcomes of her shouting as is they are of no matter.

And that's the impression you give here, that the death of a person doesn't bother you, but someone being jailed for causing that death does.
Xenon has already conceded it's a shit title, they might not be entirely sure how to change it.

Yeah, as pursued says. I thought they might not know how to or i was wrong that the thread starter could change it but apparently not.

Have to say, even though I’ve been a confident cyclist for 15 years now (minus the break), I’m not sure I want either of my girls to cycle, at least not until they’re in their mid-late 20s like I was. Teenage girls and young women are another group who are seen as vulnerable enough to shout abuse at, and knowing mine they would also defer without thinking/checking like the woman who was killed. :(

Not to mention the sexual harassment younger women get on their bikes too, which I certainly used to experience :mad:

Re the canals / river lea: it's a real shame peds and cyclists just can't seem to arrange themselves.....it could be an idyllic model of co-usage in a very scenic setting. Yet, as it is, on busy-ish days it is as annoying using it as a ped as it is as a cyclist.

I don't think xenon wants cyclists to die, I think he(?) identifies with Auriol Grey because she is partially sighted, which is understandable. It's a very difficult case because both the victim and the protagonist are vulnerable in different ways. I repeat my earlier point that the real culprit is ultimately the crap infrastructure which places pedestrians and cyclists too close to heavy traffic for their safety.

Cyclists unnecessarily on pavements piss me off. It's something I never do and it gives cyclists a bad name. But cyclists doing what they need to do to stay safe on the road? tbh if you've not been a cyclist in busy cities yourself, you probably don't quite understand what the dangers are.
I sometimes cycle on pavements, but then I'm a middle-aged fat woman pootling along at a very leisurely pace, I'm not a lycra-clad man on a racer speeding around like he's doing a time trial for the Tour de France.

I think the lack of a suspended sentence has something to do with the fact that after this poor woman was run over and killed, the defendant ignored the situation, no concern, just walked off to do her shopping and showed no remorse whatsoever for the consequences of her actions between her arrest and trial.
I thought that was terrible too. I mean, not staying till the emergency services arrived, wandering off to do her shopping while the woman lay dying in the road showed a complete lack of concern, let alone compassion.

It's not great for anyone. As a cyclist, you're constantly having to advise people of your presence. As a pedestrian, you can never totally relax because there could always be a cyclist steaming up behind you.
The problem is there are certain people who interpret a bell as ‘get out of my way’ rather than ‘excuse me’ and I’ve had some right mardy responses to it over the years, which kind of makes you reluctant to use it if you can pass quietly/slowly without bother.

The problem is there are certain people who interpret a bell as ‘get out of my way’ rather than ‘excuse me’ and I’ve had some right mardy responses to it over the years, which kind of makes you reluctant to use it if you can pass quietly/slowly without bother.
Unfortunately there are quite a lot of people who will both turn round and get mardy at you for ringing a bell or saying excuse me as you come up behind them and yet also tell you off if you don't because it's obvious that they have seen you already.

Yes, exactly. I'm very nervous of using my bell because some people think it's aggressive when it's really not meant that way. I just want people to know I'm approaching!

Back
Top Bottom