Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paxo v Brand starts in 5 minutes

Yes, I remember reading about that. That was great, when he stripped off. Yes, he's had a bit of involvement in politics, but I don't think he's ever taken it seriously.

I like the way he can be cheeky to Paxman's po-faced complacent persona and be uninhibited. I didn't like him at first but I like him more now for that.

He does behave like a buffoon. I think he is alright meself.

He does behave like a buffoon. I think he is alright meself.

This is, of course, exactly the way Boris reels them in. And I think Johnson's methods are quite sinister - why shouldn't I have the same reservations about Brand? If it purely a matter of the ends (if you agree with them, and I can't say that I do) justifying the means?

Remember that routine Brand did where he got his dad up on stage and started reminiscing about when he was a kid and he used to wonder why his dad's cock was so brown? That was a bit WTF. His dad took it in good humour but it'd would've been better if he said through gritted teeth "I've been doing your mother up the arse for for christ's sake, we couldn't risk having another one like you".

Right, I've read Brand's New Statesman article.

He's not saying anything that hasn't been said by lots of people before, but it's one more contribution to what more and more people are now saying: we need a change of direction.

And he addresses quite clearly the question that's been asked here: what right does a rich celebrity like him have to talk about corruption and poverty? The answer is he has as much right to talk about it as anyone else. He goes to Africa (can't remember which country, sorry) and is appalled at what he sees. Never mind that he's rich by British standards, by those standards all of us on this forum are rich, even if we do think we're treated as shit by the rich. But would we give up half of what we've got to help them? No, of course not, because we know it would be completely futile. So why should he?

He ends by saying we need a revolution, but I don't think he means revolution as in Russia 1917. He seems to mean it in a broader sense - a radical change in direction. At the moment, all we're getting is more of the same.

I think the main barrier is no one is sure what they want to replace the status quo with. Nor does he, and nor do I. In a way that's good, because it's arrogant to claim you have all the answers. But you have to know roughly where you want to go, or you don't know where to start.

But would we give up half of what we've got to help them? No, of course not, because we know it would be completely futile. So why should he?

If a highly visible celebrity with a social conscience won't lead the way with wealth distribution, how on Earth do you expect politicians with an even higher reliance on corporations and business leaders to start implementing reform.

In this case talk is cheap, scrap that, it will probably make him even more money.

And he addresses quite clearly the question that's been asked here: what right does a rich celebrity like him have to talk about corruption and poverty? The answer is he has as much right to talk about it as anyone else. He goes to Africa (can't remember which country, sorry) and is appalled at what he sees. Never mind that he's rich by British standards, by those standards all of us on this forum are rich, even if we do think we're treated as shit by the rich. But would we give up half of what we've got to help them? No, of course not, because we know it would be completely futile. So why should he?

Has anyone here actually made that point? In any depth at least, and did it ever become a theme of the thread? Not as far as i can see

He talks about needing a "new direction", but how, in practice, does that work? What do we do right now to go in a new direction? It's plain that many people are pissed off but I cannot agree with him about not voting. If more people had voted in 2010 we might not have ended up with the travesty of a government we now have. I do think we take our freedoms very lightly in this country and that can be a dangerous road.

He talks about needing a "new direction", but how, in practice, does that work? What do we do right now to go in a new direction? It's plain that many people are pissed off but I cannot agree with him about not voting. If more people had voted in 2010 we might not have ended up with the travesty of a government we now have. I do think we take our freedoms very lightly in this country and that can be a dangerous road.
What if more people had voted tory and lib-dem thereby putting the coalition on a firmer electoral footing? What if more people voted labour and they enacted - as promised - vicious austerity along the same lines as the current coalition? And his argument wasn't that people shouldn't vote, but that currently there is no point and that a lot of people recognise that - but if there was point to voting then he would. He's pro-voting but quite realistically.

Yes, agreed it could have gone a different way -but what else do we have, realistically right now?
You're starting from the position that we have this, that we have voting right now. We don't. We have no options whatsoever voting, none. Outside of voting we have loads, large and small. From occupations of council offices, rent strikes, mass refusal to pay in supermarkets, blocking motorways, closing down key businesses and so on.

Interesting reposte to Brand's don't vote schtick from Robert Webb who I've never seen as political person before:
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/robert-webb-re-joins-labour-protest-russell-brand

This man would like to thank Russell Brand for not voting

article-1191424-0541C380000005DC-841_468x349.jpg

Webb's logic there is typical politicians buck-passing logic: Turnout wasn't low because people think we're shit, it's their fault the country is in the mess it is.

Webb's last political intervention was to slag off Galloway and RESPECT - which led many, me included to think, given his Oxbridge background, that he was some sort of tory - seems he's actually some boring labour type.

Back
Top Bottom