Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Books everyone thinks are great but you hated (and vice versa)

Slightly different but On The Road and The Catcher In The Rye were both books I loved as a teenager but reread and hated in later life.

On The Road got described as 'an ode to selfishness' by Dillinger4 on here once and after rereading it I agreed.

Similarly Catcher In The Rye just seemed whiny and self-absorbed. I was like that myself at that age so that's why I liked it then, I think.
They're my main ones too. The difference between us is I didn't read them as a teenager (I was in my 20's) and never much cared for either of them. I remember I did like Kerouac's The Subterraneans though.

Likewise, 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'...:(:confused:
I loved that!

Tbh though I don't especially understand all the hate the Da Vinci Code gets. It's not perfect but there are definitely much worse books out there.
Absolutely. Angels & Demons was much, much worse. I could sort of get through TDVC, but I gave up after about 6 chapters of A&D.

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow, Capt Correlli's Mandolin...just didn't get the fuss :confused:
Agreed on Miss Smilla, so boring.

Norwegian Wood.

This!! Actually any Murakami I've read has left me feeling extremely underwhelmed. I've given up. I do suspect his English translator is crap though.

Otoh I loved Confederacy of Dunces. And 100 Years of Solitude, but I was young when I read it and think maybe it was pretty pretentious.

Do people like Ian McEwan here? I threw Saturday across an empty tube carriage in disgust. I did like his early ones though.

Agreed on Miss Smilla, so boring.

This!! Actually any Murakami I've read has left me feeling extremely underwhelmed. I've given up. I do suspect his English translator is crap though.
you've been reading the wrong murakami, you should have been reading david murakami wood who i see has only been mentioned on here once before

Ian McEwan?

His 'Enduring Love' is probably the worst book I've ever read.

I've only had the misfortune of seeing half of the film, iirc. I liked The Cement Garden and others from that time though, but again was young.

you've been reading the wrong murakami, you should have been reading david murakami wood who i see has only been mentioned on here once before
I had to Google but yes looks much more sensible.

Garcia Marquez's magical realism spawned a host of imitators in Chinese fiction, but can't really hold that against him. Years since I read it but remember liking it at the time.

I liked Lodge’s books. He’s avery good writer. But I was brought up Catholic so it was fine for me. Although I could have done without the latest one. (I’ll need to check if he’s written more. I mean “Thinks”).

I remember a book group I was in in the 90s were split between Catholics and non Catholics as to whether they liked him. 🤣
I liked them too but found the whole agonising over it and disappointment with Vatican II v strange as everyone I knew just ignored all that stuff rather than thinking about it or agonising over it. Really felt very old fashioned. ( I was born well after it though.)

Try Going to Meet the Man. It’s a collection of short stories. I liked it. But I couldn’t get on with Another Country, which everyone raves about.
I appreciate it's foolish of me to go on the "books everyone thinks are great but you hate" thread and be shocked by people knocking books I think are great, but Another Country? Blimey, I think that's a strong contender for best novel I've ever read. I remember thinking at the time that you can tell Baldwin's a really great author because he manages to make the book enjoyable despite the amount of jazz in it.
It’s also worth remembering that a lot of culturally significant works can seem really irrelevant out of the times they were written for. Portnoy’s Complaint, read in 2024, is a guy droning on about wanking. Mate, you wank. Get over it. Nobody cares.
Not necessarily disagreeing with any of this, but out of curiousity would you say the same about 1982, Janine?

That's the same author as The Plot Against America and loved that but was disappointed with Portnoys Complaint.
To be fair, it's tempting to expect consistency from an author and I'm sure I've done the same thing, but Plot Against America was 2004 and Portnoy's was 1969. It'd be surprising if the quality of his work didn't vary a fair bit over a 35-year period.
"Philip Rotherham is a great writer but I wouldn't want to shake hands with him", as one reviewer put it.
Aye, I prefer Doncaster DeLillo myself.
I liked them too but found the whole agonising over it and disappointment with Vatican II v strange as everyone I knew just ignored all that stuff rather than thinking about it or agonising over it. Really felt very old fashioned. ( I was born well after it though.)
Or ahead of its time, I hear all the zoomers are sedevacantists nowadays.

Thought of another one: Beckett. Never read or seen any of his dramas so maybe those are better, and I think I tend to like stuff that gets described as Beckettian like Drunken Bakers and so on, but I remember Molloy being impossible, just trolling the reader for the sake of it.

I appreciate it's foolish of me to go on the "books everyone thinks are great but you hate" thread and be shocked by people knocking books I think are great, but Another Country? Blimey, I think that's a strong contender for best novel I've ever read. I remember thinking at the time that you can tell Baldwin's a really great author because he manages to make the book enjoyable despite the amount of jazz in it.
I only brought it up in response to ska invita I wouldn’t have volunteered it as a “book I hate”. It’s a book I didn’t enjoy very much.
Not necessarily disagreeing with any of this, but out of curiousity would you say the same about 1982, Janine?
No. I guess I just don’t think Roth ages well. Some writers don’t.

i put off Moby Dick for many years, becuase it came with such a reputation that i thought my soul would be shaken by reading it. then i read it - or much of it, i skipped a few hundred pages becuase i found it to be spissous tosh. when i got to the "dramatic" ending i just wanted it to be over.

when i voiced this opinion (elsewhere) i was met with enthusiatic agreement.

I liked it, but I read it with an alcoholic book club with a penchant for reading it out loud while playing Wagner.

Terry Pratchetr, Neil Gaiman, Douglas Adams - that lot
Ian Banks’ Dead Air and also Complicity were very disappointing, but got praised all the same.
Charles Bukowski’s Ham On Rye. Just no.
China Miéville’s King Rat is embarrassing considering the rest of his work.

I like Terry Prachet, Neil Gaiman, and Douglas Adams, but I have two classifications for books. One is what I call "Mind candy." These definitely fall into that category.

Slightly different but On The Road and The Catcher In The Rye were both books I loved as a teenager but reread and hated in later life.

On The Road got described as 'an ode to selfishness' by Dillinger4 on here once and after rereading it I agreed.

Similarly Catcher In The Rye just seemed whiny and self-absorbed. I was like that myself at that age so that's why I liked it then, I think.

I had the same experience. Catcher in the Rye is one you need to read as a teenager. It vibed with me as a 15-year-old. I recently read it again, and I kept thinking "why doesn't someone give this whiny asshole a boot to the head?: LOL!

Was extremely meh after reading Oryx and Crake - though I've enjoyed other Atwood books.
Closing Time by Joseph Heller left me confused and angry - angry that I read all the way to the end where i could have just baled after the first 50 pages and not have missed anything.
Almost any Stephen King book for me falls into one of 2 categories: easy read for when I'm too tired to read anything proper, or over wordy shite that I will never have time or energy for - not even as an audio book (also quite badly written and slow - so fucking slow).
Perusing this thread i see much hate towards many of my favourite books. ho hum. Takes all sorts.

I tried so hard to like 'On The Road' as a teen, but...nah.

Likewise, 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'...:(:confused:
I did the thing with On the Road that probably everyone should if they have the opportunity. I was 23 and I read it while travelling across the US from Miami to San Francisco. I've never tried to read it again because it was perfect then, and I don't want to ruin it for myself. I think a lot of it is about reading the right book at the right age or in the right context. I also really enjoyed Zen at the time, also aged about 23, it sent me down many rabbit holes, some of which i haven't fully returned from.

Last edited:
Not sure if Lady Chatterley's lover supposed to be that good but it's obviously very famous. It's horrible. All three main characters are really unpleasant with no redeeming features. It's a shame the publicity around the court case led to it being seen as some kind of big deal.

Back
Top Bottom