Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paxo v Brand starts in 5 minutes

I remember him on some programme about drugs and there was this doctor on there who prescribed methadone and Brand was supposed to be interviewing her but he was just talking over her, not letting her get a word in at all and just going on about how abstinence was the only show in town and how he had achieved abstinence and how it worked for him etc. Thus neatly showcasing his solipsism, misogyny and dogmatic approach to addiction all in one go.
i really dont know much about it, but my impression is that no-one is happy with the current methadone programme situation <isnt it pretty universally slated from all sides?

in the case of the committee hearing its fair enough that, having been invited on with the guy who runs the programme to give their opinion based on their collective experiences, they then give their opinions.

but another awkward interview where he dominates all i dont doubt

He is full of mischief, it always comes back to bite him on his arse. He loves attention. But he spoke well, there was truth in there and he didn't get pilloried by Paxman.

He is a bit of an idiot evidentally. But I don't mind that. He is alright isn't he?

We can't just dismiss everyone because they are some kind of idiot when they have a gift for subverting the ridiculous nature of news interviews and use that platform to appeal to revolutionary destruction of the state.

Is the current tour sold out yet then?

brand-main.gif

Hmm. Perhaps both of them Paxman and Brand would like to contribute a huge part of their considerable salaries and wealth to the poor? Paxman could have asked Brand ' Well how many millions have you made from this system Russel?' And then it could have then been rhetorical. They would have both been fucked, so that was not going to happen on a TV recording.

How often do we hear this? a celebrity barking on about the inequalities in life and the disparity between rich and poor, without recognising the sheer irony... Been here before with live aid and band aid or should I say Bob Aid and Bono Aid, both of whom amassed unbelievable fortunes after their careers PR rocketted and benefitted by speaking out at the inequalities of the poor and starving. Band Aid and Live Aid aid may have amassed around £150 million for the starving of Africa (mainly from Joe Bloggs contributing) but between Bono and Bob they have amassed at least £600 million personally. Do they need all that money? Bono invests and profits from corporate wealth such as Facebook, Brand himself is a multi multi millionaire and Paxman at one point was one of the BBC 'superstars' earning in excess of a £million per annum paid for by us the public.

Celebrities mouthing off at the 'system' and all the disparity, whilst benefitting hugely themselves from the 'system' make me choke. All bollocks really.

Last edited:
Hmm. Perhaps both of them Paxman and Brand would like to contribute a huge part of their considerable salaries and wealth to the poor? Paxman could have asked Brand ' well how many millions have you made from this system Russel?' And the it could have then been rhetorical.

How often do we hear this? a celebrity barking on about the inequalities in life and the disparity between rich and poor, without recognising the sheer irony... Been here before with live aid and band aid or should I say bobaid and Bonoaid. Both of whom amassed unbelievable fortunes after their careers PR rocketted and benefitted by speaking out at the inequalities of the poor and starving. Band Aid and Live Aid aid may have amassed around £150 million for the starving of Africa (mainly from Joe Bloggs contributing) but between Bono and Bob they have amassed at least £600 million personally. Do they need all that money? Bono invests and profits from corporate wealth such as Facebook, Brand himself is a multi multi millionaire and Paxman at one point was one of the BBC 'superstars' earning in excess of a £million per annum paid for by us the public.

Celebrities mouthing off at the 'system' and all the disparity, whilst benefitting hugely themselves from the 'system' make me choke. All bollocks really.

Cretinous point

His Re:Brand series he did about 10 or so years ago was excellent

some parts better than others, the nazi boy interview/piss take was good but getting a homeless guy off the street and shooting up with him? (didnt film that part obviously but was in his book) tbh that was pretty uncomfortable to watch and remember switching it off around the part where he decides he hasnt humiliated this guy enough and gets in the bath with him...

the stuff with icke is nuts, for anyone doubting his close friendship with icke hes been harping on about Icke for years infact first time i even knew who Icke was is from listening to Brand on Radio 2 and that must have been 2006-2007.

tbh brand disappoints me, he was pretty funny on the radio and hes a smart, articulate entertainer but seems like the fames got to him and now he reckons hes the next che guevara or something. stick to the standup and the radio ffs

It will be interesting to see him on the Joe Rogan podcast. You can bullshit a smart man for ten minutes, but you can't for two hours... :D

I take that living in the UK you benefit so much from global inequality that you shouldn't talk about it either until you've moved to Mozambique and ceased to benefit from the system?

W
I take that living in the UK you benefit so much from global inequality that you shouldn't talk about it either until you've moved to Mozambique and ceased to benefit from the system?

You're not quite getting it are you?

We in the West are rightly weary of lofty pronouncements from celebrities. In societies shaped by advertising, sane people come to regard statements by the rich, with their carefully constructed images, with extreme skepticism. Promotions for products and political personalities turn out too often to be lies designed to steal money from unwitting consumer citizens, falsehoods that additionally rob their victims of precious time and a measure of their inborn ability to trust.
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/truthdigger_of_the_week_russell_brand_20131026?ln

Worth a read. :)

Someone slipped some dmt in Rogans roids and he's been quite interesting since.
That's weird. I got an alert that you'd replied to my post, and your post does indeed seem to be a reply to me - but you've not actually quoted it. :confused:

Magic alert? Has Urban become sentient? :hmm:

He's annoyed Nick Cohen, who thinks he's basically a fascist, but I can't help think there must be better ways to annoy Nick Cohen. Maybe something involving ants and jam.

I saw that, all good points but not sure what I thought about it to be honest. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say he's fash. I think he could have got it more onto more concrete facts (like his associations with david icke stretching back years, his sexism, etc) rather than just saying that he doesn't have a fully worked out political critique

This article about Adbusters has a loose relevance to some of this

Completely unmentioned was the real reason Grillo is so controversial in Italy: his blog is full of anti-vaccination and 9/11 conspiracy claims, pseudoscientific cancer cures and chemtrail-like theories about Italian incinerator-smoke. And, as Giovanni Tiso noted in July, Grillo’s “5-Star Movement” also has an incredibly creepy backer: Gianroberto Casaleggio, “an online marketing expert whose only known past political sympathies lay with the right-wing separatist Northern League.” Casaleggio has also written kooky manifestoes about re-organizing society through virtual reality technology, with mandatory Internet citizenship and an online world government.

There’s good reason to be suspicious of anyone who pulls that “neither left nor right” line. Though Alex Jones’ InfoWars may not have been directly based on early-days Adbusters, the two were undeniably similar in sentiment. Both take a hostile view to mass media and widely-available consumer products, pushing readers towards an ascetic alternative lifestyle that insulates them from “The System” and its toxic worldliness.

And, as luck would have it, both are also the merchants of the (rarer, more expensive) alternative products needed to live this lifestyle. Alex Jones expounds the virtues of food-hoarding and drives Truthers to amass his survival packs, anti-fluoride filters, and nascent iodine drops; Adbusters flogs Blackspot shoes, Corporate America protest flags, and overpriced culture-jamming kits to “create new ambiences and psychic possibilities.”

With Lasn as its guru, culture jamming became popular among activists in the 1990s. Behind all those “subvertisements” lay one big assumption: regular sheeple were so brainwashed by consumerism that they couldn’t even snicker at rose-petally tampon ads without an enlightened jammer to spell everything out for them. Every adbuster got to feel like Morpheus, unplugging Sleepers from the Matrix with the Red Pill of Situationism.

That Jacobin article is very good. Brand could easily become a Grillo for the UK. The ground's already well prepared, UKIP benefit a little bit from this stuff already but they're more deeply rooted in traditional ultra-conservative british nationalism.

I never trust someone who's political outlook begins with the assumption that everyone is stupid except me. It's just narcissistic bullshit - people aren't stupid. Not at all.

I have had rattling in my brain

grill griilow!
who got the keys to ma pillow?
annaya nye
The gyal dem love
Make love to a fella in a rush
Pass me de keys to mah truck

anyway....

Ah, so this is the main Russell Brand interview thread. Only just found it - my own contribution was on the other one.

Don't know why you people take it all so seriously though. Brand is a comedian, not a political activist. He's never been a political person.

Back
Top Bottom