Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opinion: "The End of Meat Is Here" - NY Times

You're actually presenting this as some sort of sensible counter argument to reducing meat consumption?

Here. have a go at this. Choose beef and then tomatoes. And then feel stupid.

Its like I never posted the very recent study that shows that food miles have a much greater impact than we thought.

It is a pretty picture
If I was interested in top flight pedantry, Id go back and count the number of times data from that paper has been posted up here in numerous guises (although, tbf, the last few iterations have all been extrapolated by ourworldindata).

I still think one of the most interesting things to come from this is how you can manufacture a "consensus" from about three sources by repeating them over and over.......

You're actually presenting this as some sort of sensible counter argument to reducing meat consumption?

Here. have a go at this. Choose beef and then tomatoes. And then feel stupid.

But that's not what your latest post says. :facepalm:

If I was interested in top flight pedantry, Id go back and count the number of times data from that paper has been posted up here in numerous guises (although, tbf, the last few iterations have all been extrapolated by ourworldindata).

I still think one of the most interesting things to come from this is how you can manufacture a "consensus" from about three sources by repeating them over and over.......
If you tell the same lie often enough it becomes truth. :(

Do you agree that a substantial reduction in meat consumption would be positive for the environment? And if so, what are you doing about it?
Not necessarily. Just looking at this thread the data is all over the place so no firm conclusions can be drawn from it.

As you've asked I eat ready meals and takeaways.
Sun spag bol = 60g beef.
Mon 10" pizza with all the toppings.
Tue salmon and broccoli melt = 32g salmon.
Wed sweet & sour chicken = 72g chicken.
Thur ham & mushroom tagliatelle= 28g ham.
Fri mixed kebab.
Sat no evening meal.

Also on the environmental front my house is heated by virtually carbon neutral wood, I have 3Kw solar PV panels on one side of the roof, solar thermal panel on the other side, the house is well insulated, in the next few weeks I'm having the crappy windows on the front of the house replaced with high efficiency double glazed windows which just leaves the 2 windows in the kitchen to change when I've worked out what to do about insulating it. I don't drive, I get a lift from family 3 times a fortnight for shopping. All in all I think I'm doing quite well on the environmental front.

Alas I wish this was true, but its clear that the meat apologists on this thread just don't give a shit about it. :(

It’s a weird thread. a thread called ‘is this the end of meat?’, filled with people saying not only is it not the end of meat, I think that's perfectly fine, there's no need for meat to end- I went to an abattoir once and it was fine. If you look at the practises of the industrial farming complex, they're abhorrent. I don’t know how anyone can defend that.

Ultimately, it’s an idea, the idea that meat is something necessary, when it’s quite the opposite. Meat-eaters will take their ideas to the grave, unfortunately it involves the suffering of myriad other creatures on the way.

We seem to be incredibly selfish in the west, the idea that we should inconvenience ourselves even a little to end great suffering for another creature goes against the creed that we should always have exactly what we want. If you want evidence of our infantilised state, look at all the cow’s milk we drink. We appear to be the one species who believes it never needs to be weaned.

I quit eating meat because my then-girlfriend said ‘everyone I know is a vegetarian apart from you. You don't need meat.’ and I thought about it and it seemed obvious. I just stopped, it wasn't a big deal. I'd been a Smiths fan, and listening to Meat is Murder I felt guilty but I didn’t stop. “but I like meat.'' In the end it wasn't difficult; it wasn't anything at all. Now it's even easier, you could quit meat without even noticing. I saw a programme with Ramsay interviewing about 20 prospective chefs and they had to eat some dish and tell him what kind of meat they thought it was. None realised that it was a meat substitute made from plants- so if prospective chefs can't even tell in a taste test, when specifically judging the flavour and texture, what difference does it make to anyone else? The magnificence of meat is all in your mind- taste and texture can be replicated accurately, and the meatless end result is healthier. So why remain in thrall to cruelty?

It’s a weird thread. a thread called ‘is this the end of meat?’, filled with people saying not only is it not the end of meat, I think that's perfectly fine, there's no need for meat to end- I went to an abattoir once and it was fine. If you look at the practises of the industrial farming complex, they're abhorrent. I don’t know how anyone can defend that.

I don't think anyone is - what is mostly being objected to is other posters banging on about "big meat" as if all animal agriculture is "industrial", when it isn't, in the same way that some people bang on about "big pharma". Along with it goes the condescension that people who work in agriculture are either evil and or stupid/brainwashed, which we aren't.

Ultimately, it’s an idea, the idea that meat is something necessary, when it’s quite the opposite. Meat-eaters will take their ideas to the grave, unfortunately it involves the suffering of myriad other creatures on the way.
So does growing crops, possibly more so. The promotion of eating plants as being "cruelty free" is so far from the truth, only someone who has never grown anything could make that statement and mean it. Even on the tiniest scale, in my garden, I have to control slugs, caterpillars, spider mite, mice and flea beetle or half my veg would be gone. Meat eaters have just accepted the death of some different creatures, which happens in a highly regulated manner. Nature (of which we are a part) is far more cruel than animal agriculture. Im far more uncomfortable with poisoning rodents around grain silos etc than I am about abattoirs. Until we can photosynthesise, our food will always involve something else dying.
If you want evidence of our infantilised state, look at all the cow’s milk we drink. We appear to be the one species who believes it never needs to be weaned.
Theres no food that animals are "meant" to eat, other than that they have evolved to digest. Given that the ability to digest lactose is one of the newest examples of human evolution, if you have that genetic adapion, you have specifically evolved to eat dairy. Why and when was lactase persistence selected for? Insights from Central Asian herders and ancient DNA

Given that yolks are nourishment for embryos, does that analysis go for all animals that eat eggs too?
I saw a programme with Ramsay interviewing about 20 prospective chefs and they had to eat some dish and tell him what kind of meat they thought it was. None realised that it was a meat substitute made from plants- so if prospective chefs can't even tell in a taste test, when specifically judging the flavour and texture, what difference does it make to anyone else? The magnificence of meat is all in your mind- taste and texture can be replicated accurately, and the meatless end result is healthier.
Highly processed foods hardly have a good track record on the "being good for you" front, so I'd refute any claim that highly processed meat substitutes are in any way "better for you".

If you don't want to eat meat, that's fine - but try not to attempt some patronising, pseudoscientific psychological analysis of people who chose to eat meat, thanks.

Last edited:
We seem to be incredibly selfish in the west
meat eating is falling in the west. It is significantly on the rise in China an Asia, largely as people come out of poverty. No amount of vegan proselytising here is going to make a gnats arses difference to meats impact upon climate change (and its environmental and health aspects are what bothers me, sorry).

Fossil fucking fuels are the fucking problem. One that we have a hope of solving too.

meat eating is falling in the west. It is significantly on the rise in China an Asia, largely as people come out of poverty. No amount of vegan proselytising here is going to make a gnats arses difference to meats impact upon climate change (and its environmental and health aspects are what bothers me, sorry).

Fossil fucking fuels are the fucking problem. One that we have a hope of solving too.
Totally agree - because of land area, land use is seen as being the short term solution to buy time to move away from fossil fuels (carbon sequestration, cutting down on enteric methane, which has been here for millenia), but land use changes happen slowly - even more so if you want to avoid spiralling food costs, which is already happening due to slight variations in the global grain market (most grain is consumed in the country it is grown in, so whilst the Ukraine is responsible for 10% of the export market for grain, as a proportion of the entire market, its tiny).
It should be the other way around - hammer fossil fuel use now, allow ag/land use to adapt.

But....butbut... What about them over there.... Typical
Not really - the whole reason we are in this mess is because, since the industrial revolution, we have been taking carbon sequestered millenia ago and adding it to the atmosphere by burning it. Ruminants existed in vast, vast numbers pre industrialisation, indeed, it is supposed that the mass extermination of Bison from the grasslands of the USA caused a small ice age. The methane cycle existed then, it exists now.

We cannot keep using fossil fuels, oddly ag is quite well placed to reduce the need to do that considerably, although again, we rely very heavily on fossil fuel derived fert in cropping, and this needs to be phased out slowly in order that people don't starve in the transition. We will still then have manures, both animal and green, "proper" rotation, algae (seaweed is an amazing source of K) to develop in that transition. Without animals, we lose a key tool in this process.

The reduction in atmospheric co2 during the pandemic due to the lack of travel only illustrates how easy it would be to make significant change, quickly

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15567036.2021.1879969?casa_token=dLfPdJAYCfoAAAAA:wXUldHAalq8gtxihH0XambzH0amNU2olCcBAY-v7grxLh6eSB6D-RbcFS2O7lvDADNAbI-_g6p_aHE0

Not necessarily. Just looking at this thread the data is all over the place so no firm conclusions can be drawn from it.

As you've asked I eat ready meals and takeaways.
Sun spag bol = 60g beef.
Mon 10" pizza with all the toppings.
Tue salmon and broccoli melt = 32g salmon.
Wed sweet & sour chicken = 72g chicken.
Thur ham & mushroom tagliatelle= 28g ham.
Fri mixed kebab.
Sat no evening meal.

Also on the environmental front my house is heated by virtually carbon neutral wood, I have 3Kw solar PV panels on one side of the roof, solar thermal panel on the other side, the house is well insulated, in the next few weeks I'm having the crappy windows on the front of the house replaced with high efficiency double glazed windows which just leaves the 2 windows in the kitchen to change when I've worked out what to do about insulating it. I don't drive, I get a lift from family 3 times a fortnight for shopping. All in all I think I'm doing quite well on the environmental front.
yeh but you should rethink pizzas with all the toppings, after about 3 the pizza gets really soggy. as far as possible i stick to two, namely pineapple and chilli (pref jalapenos)

Not really - the whole reason we are in this mess is because, since the industrial revolution, we have been taking carbon sequestered millenia ago and adding it to the atmosphere by burning it. Ruminants existed in vast, vast numbers pre industrialisation, indeed, it is supposed that the mass extermination of Bison from the grasslands of the USA caused a small ice age. The methane cycle existed then, it exists now.

Regarding methane, there's a good chance we've tipped over a tipping point we will probably regret:

Scientists Puzzled by Soaring Global Methane Levels

Methane concentrations in the Earth's atmosphere are soaring—and the exact causes of the "frightening" increase are puzzling scientists.

In April 2022, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported that concentrations of the gas averaged 1,895.7 parts per billion (ppb) over the past year, a new record.

In fact, the NOAA report showed that 2021 saw a rise of 17 ppb: the largest annual increase in atmospheric methane levels since systematic measurements began in 1983.

"Methane concentrations are increasing at a frightening and totally unexpected rate," NASA atmospheric scientist Benjamin Poulter told Newsweek.

"In 2020 and again in 2021, methane concentrations grew at a rate that was more than double the average over the previous decade."

Scientists say the rapid rise in atmospheric methane has significant implications because it is a potent greenhouse gas and can contribute to global warming.

While methane lingers in the atmosphere for only around 10 years or so—far shorter than carbon dioxide—it has a warming potential roughly 30 times that of CO2.

As a result, soaring atmospheric methane concentrations is "serious and a major global problem," that could put at risk the goal of limiting global warming to to 1.5–2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, Euan Nisbet, an Earth scientist at Royal Holloway, University of London, in the United Kingdom, told Newsweek.

"Methane is a major anthropogenic greenhouse gas, and its unexpected recent rise is arguably the largest deviation from the hopes of the Paris Agreement (note the recent CO2 rise was also bad). If we don't get methane under control, the Paris Agreement will fail."

Since the era of the Industrial Revolution, methane concentrations in the atmosphere had been steadily increasing in a trend "clearly" driven by fossil fuel emissions—i.e. the burning of coal, gas and oil—according to Nisbet.

But in the 1990s, this increase began to slow and levelled off entirely between around 1999 and 2006. Then, in 2007, atmospheric methane levels began to spike mysteriously again and have been increasing ever since in a trend that scientists are struggling to properly understand.

The reduction in atmospheric co2 during the pandemic due to the lack of travel only illustrates how easy it would be to make significant change, quickly

If changing our fossil fuel use is as quick and easy as you make it out to be, we better be at it.

Regarding methane, there's a good chance we've tipped over a tipping point we will probably regret:

If changing our fossil fuel use is as quick and easy as you make it out to be, we better be at it.
Weird that this coincides with the advent of fracking (which releases fossil methane), innit?

We already did make a good start during COVID. Cheap, international air travel has only been available for what, 40 years?
Perhaps the real "selfishness of the west" is expecting inexhaustible cheap foreign travel via air or sea? Or a plethora of fresh foods from across the globe to be available cheaply in every supermarket, so that we can experience an international dining experience every time we sit down at the table? Or to be able to both live in a massive conurbation and own your own, private vehicle.

Last edited:
Weird that this coincides with the advent of fracking (which releases fossil methane), innit?

We already did make a good start during COVID. Cheap, international air travel has only been available for what, 40 years?

Weird that this coincides with the advent of massive increases in heatwaves worldwide.

Could be either/both, but the number of ruminants, globally continues to fall.

Do you have support for that argument? The US alone has 94 million cattle in production at the moment. In 1830, the number of bison in the US was less than half that number (40 mil).

Back
Top Bottom