Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

On this day

1697789162597.png
At 1:35 pm, Truss announced her resignation as the leader of the Conservative Party and as prime minister. She gave the following 89-second-long statement:

I came into office at a time of great economic and international instability. Families and businesses were worried about how to pay their bills. Putin's illegal war in Ukraine threatens the security of our whole continent. And our country has been held back by for too long by low economic growth. I was elected by the Conservative Party with a mandate to change this. We delivered on energy bills and on cutting National Insurance. And we set out a vision for a low-tax, high-growth economy that would take advantage of the freedoms of Brexit. I recognise though, given the situation, I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected by the Conservative Party. I have therefore spoken to His Majesty the King to notify him that I am resigning as leader of the Conservative Party. This morning I met the chairman of the 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady. We've agreed there will be a leadership election to be completed within the next week. This will ensure that we remain on a path to deliver our fiscal plans and maintain our country's economic stability and national security. I will remain as prime minister until a successor has been chosen. Thank you.

45814025-9818041-image-a-117_1627056155678.jpg

439 New Cross Road, London, 18 January 1981

FJYnh0CWQAce_Ox

On this day in 2023, Georgia State Patrol shot and killed Tortuguita:

Missed it by a day, but yesterday was the anniversary of Tolstoy buying an unnecessary horse:

Missed it by a day, but yesterday was the anniversary of Tolstoy buying an unnecessary horse:
Funnily enough, only a few days ago my old Mum reminded me of the tale about her Aunt Myrtle's Dad who got so pissed out at the Sondes Arms one night that he came home with a horse that he'd bought. :D Don't think he wrote any books, though.

Funnily enough, only a few days ago my old Mum reminded me of the tale about her Aunt Myrtle's Dad who got so pissed out at the Sondes Arms one night that he came home with a horse that he'd bought. :D Don't think he wrote any books, though.
Well, next time she mentions it you'll be able to say, Aunt Myrtle's dad and Tolstoy, like two peas in a pod.

The picture's real, but the caption not.

[CW: Video shows racial violence.]

It should also be noted that this photograph does not document the first Black man to fight back against the Ku Klux Klan. While we have not been able to source this image, it was likely taken — judging by the cars and the clothing — in the 1960s or '70s. As the Ku Klux Klan has been around since the 1860s, it's safe to say that the man in this photograph was not the first to fight back against the KKK.

While we are not certain as to who was the first Black man to be photographed punching a member of the KKK, we can say that Black men and women have been fighting against the terrorism of the Ku Klux Klan for more than a century:

Did Willie 'Whoopass' Johnson Hit a Klansman?

Whoever Mr Whoopass was, it's great that this moment is commemorated. I hope he's had a good life.

Last edited:
39241918-9256519-image-a-6_1613212815420.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

27 March 2007: Toyin Agbetu, a Pan African human rights activist, from the Ligali Organisation, paid respect to African Ancestors by challenging the British monarch, Elizabeth Saxa-Coburg-Gotha (Windsor), church and government's commemorative ritual of appeasement and self approval at Westminster Abbey to mark the bicentenary of the British parliamentary Act to abolish what they disingenuously refer to as a 'slave trade'.

Back
Top Bottom