Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Niger coup

Twitter reports of a coup in Congo just now
The alleged coup is supposedly in the Republic of Congo, not the Democratic Republic of Congo - remember there's two countries called Congo.

The government denies there has been a coup, dismissing it as fake news. Fuck knows what is going on at this point.

Is there a reason to think it's related to the Niger coup, or is it in this thread because it's all just Africa?

The alleged coup is supposedly in the Republic of Congo, not the Democratic Republic of Congo - remember there's two countries called Congo.

The government denies there has been a coup, dismissing it as fake news. Fuck knows what is going on at this point.

Is there a reason to think it's related to the Niger coup, or is it in this thread because it's all just Africa?
Didn't deserve starting a new thread yet as it was just unsubstantiated twitter stuff late last night.

And not "just Africa" which sounds like an accusation of ignorance... there does seem to be a common underlying dynamic here with ex French colonies, Russian influence etc.

Didn't deserve starting a new thread yet as it was just unsubstantiated twitter stuff late last night.

And not "just Africa" which sounds like an accusation of ignorance... there does seem to be a common underlying dynamic here with ex French colonies, Russian influence etc.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as aggressive. It was obviously a quick late night post wlithout much information in it.

Assuming anything has happened in Congo-Brazzaville besides the President popping over to the UN in New York, then it would add to a wave of coups (or coup attempts) in former French colonies in Africa. But I think with all of these it's important to look at local factors as well as an overarching geo-political narrative. How much are they driven by French/Russian/other foreign interference and how much is it just big men looking to seize access to government revenues having seen other big men in other countries get away with it? The ECOWAS deadline came and went in Niger and Tchiani's group is still in charge. How much are they driven by legitimate grievances about foreign troops & economic interference; local economic problems & 'tribal' differences; and how much is it just coup leaders pointing at these to justify a crude power grab because they see the opportunity?

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as aggressive. It was obviously a quick late night post wlithout much information in it.

Assuming anything has happened in Congo-Brazzaville besides the President popping over to the UN in New York, then it would add to a wave of coups (or coup attempts) in former French colonies in Africa. But I think with all of these it's important to look at local factors as well as an overarching geo-political narrative. How much are they driven by French/Russian/other foreign interference and how much is it just big men looking to seize access to government revenues having seen other big men in other countries get away with it? The ECOWAS deadline came and went in Niger and Tchiani's group is still in charge. How much are they driven by legitimate grievances about foreign troops & economic interference; local economic problems & 'tribal' differences; and how much is it just coup leaders pointing at these to justify a crude power grab because they see the opportunity?
I totally agree and remain sceptical about the extent of the anticolonial element as motivation beyond a power grab.... reporting is scant and my faith in the politics of the military enacting coups is little.... without commiting to this it does appear as the French grip is loosening. That doesn't mean what follows (if it's happening at all) is necessarily any better... but it does fit the narrative of political tectonic plates shifting slowly in a direction away from US and Western European control.

Back to Niger, Mali and B-F and the fight against the jihadists:

Meanwhile the French ambassador to Niger is under siege and eating military rations, lol.

Last edited:
Benin is rumoured to be next because Russia wants sea access for the new colonies.
Or maybe because France have increased their military presence there just like they did in Niger (for a while) after being kicked out of Mali.
Whatever happens in this geopolitical battle for natural resources, the working class Africans have no chance. If, and it's a big if, Russia can develop a sphere of influence they'll just install oligarchs and fund the military hard men. Having said that I do like to see France get a good fucking anywhere and everywhere.

French ambassador fed up of military rations and going home, as are the the 1500 troops.

Niger repeal law against migrant smuggling
The ruling junta announced the repeal in a statement, saying the law "did not take into account the interests of Niger and its citizens".
It also said convictions handed down under the 2015 law would be "erased".
One trafficker, Bachir Amma, told the BBC back in 2019: "If the law was eased I would go back to people trafficking, that's for sure. It earned me as much as $6,000 [£4,700] a week, far more money than anything I can do now."
great :/

Absolutely brilliant video packed full of info, starts by setting out the history of French colonialism, then how France maintained its grip on those countries that became 'independent' (particularly via the CFA Frank currency), then on to the role if islamists, the coups, and then how Russia has stepped in. Ive learned so much

It does sound like the coups are largely following a genuine anti-french-colonial path

This has happened this year

If you want to read rather than watch the video heres an AI summary which at least give a sense of it

This feels like a significant moment, I know the British media didn't even barely report the biggest national war death toll this century in Ethiopia, but a passing comment from garrick club journalist wouldn't go a miss...

Russian troop arrival spells end for US military presence in Niger
FT

The Russian plane landed at the international airport in the Niger capital Niamey at about midnight with little fanfare, ferrying anti-aircraft defence systems and troops to Moscow’s newest ally in the Sahel.
The arrival of the 100 soldiers earlier this month was the final death knell for the presence of US forces, who have been based in the west African nation since 2013 — and underscored Niger’s determination to diversify its security partnerships beyond the west.
It also marked another strategic victory for Moscow in the Sahel, the semi-arid strip south of the Sahara, where military governments have increasingly shunned their traditional western allies in favour of new alliances with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The shifting ties come as a wave of insecurity and terror continues to afflict the Sahel, where al-Qaeda and Isis-linked Islamist insurgents have unleashed havoc from Niger to Burkina Faso and Mali for more than a decade. Military juntas have seized power in all three countries as popular discontent swelled over the failure of democratic governments and the west to stem the violence.

Ibrahim Yahaya Ibrahim, senior Sahel analyst at the International Crisis Group, said Niger’s main reason for embracing Moscow was “protecting the regime”, particularly from France, which it has repeatedly accused of plotting its demise.
“One thing they fear is an attack from the air,” he said. “A country that will provide them with anti-aircraft defence — that’s where Russia comes in.
The US last week finally signalled it would withdraw its more than 1,000 military and civilian employees, with the departure expected to take months to complete. The fate of American assets in the country, including the six-year-old drone base near the northern city of Agadez, is unclear.
The main source of contention at the Campbell-Zeine talks was a potential deal for Niger to sell uranium to Iran, according to US officials familiar with the negotiations.
Uranium is Niger’s most significant export and the country is Africa’s second-largest exporter of the metal. Zeine visited Tehran in January, when both countries agreed to co-operate on health, energy and finance. Iran is subject to international sanctions over its nuclear ambitions.

---

With rumblings of discontent in Chad, where the military government has asked US troops to halt their activities at the Adji Kossei Air Base, Hudson said Washington would be “deaf, dumb and blind” in the Sahel if its troops there were also forced to withdraw.

Back
Top Bottom