Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Niger coup

Lowkey on Twitter saying ECOWAS (who are threatening military intervention) is an "instrument of US domination in Africa". Despite endless US previous I expect this is beyond simplistic, though if anyone has any insights as to how ECOWAS integrates with US policy please share. For one it appears ECOWAS members are not unified on this.
Things could get worse. We could have Lowkey posting here in person.

Things could get worse. We could have Lowkey posting here in person.
Haha! Hes a good example of the kind of narratives floating around though.... Crude anti-imperialism. He might be right but looks to me ECOWAS is the will of the member state presidents and prime ministers ... That may well be lockstep with US Imperial interests but that's not because of ECOWAS, that's just old fashioned power that gets you to the top.

I hadn't heard of ECOWAS till today so the above is an impression

Haha! Hes a good example of the kind of narratives floating around though.... Crude anti-imperialism. He might be right but looks to me ECOWAS is the will of the member state presidents and prime ministers ... That may well be lockstep with US Imperial interests but that's not because of ECOWAS, that's just old fashioned power that gets you to the top.

I hadn't heard of ECOWAS till today so the above is an impression

I hadn't until the last year or so when they were condemning the Burkino-Faso and Mali military interventions. Several ECOWAS countries have problems with jihadists themselves so probably don't want their military getting similar ideas.

I think the gasline from Nigeria that Spain and Portugal use passes through Niger? Unless it comes another way ?
Looks like Spain gets gas from Algeria?

Europe looks to Africa to fill natural gas gap
DW 04.03.2022
NIGAL gas pipeline project revived

A mega-gas project in Nigeria is raising hopes for more gas imports for Europeans: Algeria, Niger, and Nigeria have agreed on constructing the 4,000 kilometers (2,485 miles) long Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline — also known as NIGAL. According to media reports, once the estimated $21 billion pipeline is complete, it will transport up to 30 billion cubic meters of gas per year to Algeria, connecting to the existing network to Europe.

The idea is not new, but for a long time, the security situation in the Sahel region and tensions between the governments of Algiers and Niamey did not allow the project to go ahead. As a result, it wasn't until 2021 that Algeria and Niger reopened their border. Since then, the pipeline construction has been revived.
pipelinesa.gif

The US has not seen any indication that Russia was behind the coup in Niger, the White House has said.

National security council spokesperson John Kirby told reporters the US government has not changed its decision on presence in Niger, after its president, Mohamed Bazoum, was topped on Wednesday in a military coup.

Thousands of people backing the coup were seen marching through the streets of the capital, Niamey, denouncing France, the country’s former colonial power.

Some demonstrators shouted support for Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin, while carrying Russian flags. Shouts of “long live Putin,” “long live Russia” and “down with France” could be heard among the crowds on Sunday.

The US has not seen any indication that Russia was behind the coup in Niger, the White House has said.

National security council spokesperson John Kirby told reporters the US government has not changed its decision on presence in Niger, after its president, Mohamed Bazoum, was topped on Wednesday in a military coup.

Thousands of people backing the coup were seen marching through the streets of the capital, Niamey, denouncing France, the country’s former colonial power.

Some demonstrators shouted support for Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin, while carrying Russian flags. Shouts of “long live Putin,” “long live Russia” and “down with France” could be heard among the crowds on Sunday.
Looks like a lot of the former colonies on the region are pretty much fed up with France's shit; Guinea, B-F and Mali all ousted their troops.
I saw videos last year of people marching in Ouagadougou with Russian flags but not sure if the embassy got attacked like in Niamey.

can't blame them with being pissed with the french, not sure the swap wil be any beneficial though
The CIA are probably plotting counter-coups followed by "fair and democratic" elections just like the post-independence Cold War times. Expect dead generals and lots of civilians.

The CIA are probably plotting counter-coups followed by "fair and democratic" elections just like the post-independence Cold War times. Expect dead generals and lots of civilians.
Do they have a huge interest in West Africa then? They don’t appear to give a shit about what has been happening in Guinea Bissau although perhaps they don’t have the mineral reserves.

Obviously not a impartial source but there's a guardian editorial today which quoting Chatham House reckons ECOWAS threat of overthrowing the coup is grounded in a wider previously existing anti-coup plans .....

"the coup leaders appear to have misjudged how their putsch would be received regionally and by the international community.

The biggest error, perhaps, was a misreading of a newly invigorated Ecowas determined not to replicate its weak response to other coups in the Sahel in the past few years. Among those who had noted a recent marked change in the bloc’s stance has been Alex Vines, the head of the Africa programme at the thinktank Chatham House who was recently in Abuja – where west African defence chiefs have been meeting.

“Even before this coup Ecowas was thinking about security arrangements the region needed to change both around the continued danger of radical islamists and more contention from puschists. Part of what Ecowas has been talking about was creating an effective anti-putsch force in the region, which is what Ecowas’s military chief of staffs have been discussing,” Vines says.

Particularly important, he argues, has been the political mood music in Nigeria, where President Bola Tinubu is “allergic to putschists, having had experience of being detained by them”.

.... The week deadline must be getting close.

Last edited:
How likely is it that Macron will intervene militarily in Niger? It might seem that Niger could cut his electricity off given that France are 70 per cent nuclear power? and then there is the "force de frappe" which perhaps also relies on Niger's Uranium? Is he in a bit of a pickle?

As tomorrow's deadline that ECOWAS has imposed to restore power to elected President Mohamed Bazoum by Sunday nears there are some reports that Niger has approached Wagner for help.

Friend who was recently in Kindia i.e one month ago reported seeing many tanks on tank transporters headed in the direction of Mali.These would presumably have belonged to Prighozin and co?

Friend who was recently in Kindia i.e one month ago reported seeing many tanks on tank transporters headed in the direction of Mali.These would presumably have belonged to Prighozin and co?

Why, rather than militaries from countries in the area?

Why, rather than militaries from countries in the area?
Yes if course that is possible maybe even likely but my friend left me with the impression that tanks on low-loaders are not commonly seen on Guinean roads.

They left out China and Russia though. The Wagner group have made an appearance in Niger also had lots of gold from Sudan and have a presence in CAR too. It isn't just Western imperialism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom