Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

myers briggs - what are you ?

I can usually figure out what sort of people my partners are by spending time with them and talking to them and stuff.

And I can scarcely avoid spending time with myself, so I've been able to build up a pretty good idea of what I'm like as well.

There's also a really good way of finding out if you're sexually compatible with someone. It's called shagging them and seeing if you enjoy it or not.

That's just it isn't it. It's all about describing people in terms of where they should be in the context of 9-5 drudgery, not who they are as actual human beings. Whatever box they put you in, there's a place for you in the post-industrial service economy somewhere. Nobody need be excluded. Except for the poor and all those other people upon whose permanent exclusion from the Big Wheel Of Teamwork the whole fucking system is predicated.

What personality types are best suited to working ten hour shifts in a petrol station kiosk six days a week? What personal qualities best protect workers against hallucinating from sheer boredom, or developing chronic muscle pain from spending every day sat in the poor-quality chair that the well-oiled ideas machine of the human resources department chose because it was the second least-expensive option? Are introverts or extroverts better suited to getting kicked off their zero-hour contracts after six months so that the spokes of the McGillicuddy-Macclesfield Merry-Go-Round of Synergy don't have to give them any sick pay?

It's a legitimisation of a fundamentally shit lifestyle. A reinforcement of the idea that the place you are assigned by your betters is the place where the laws of nature always intended you to be. The content is irrelevant, the use to which that content is put is everything. It is always a stick to beat people with, that's all it fucking is. That's all any of this managment-theory shit ever is. Another rusty nail driven through the same old beating stick.

It's only in my current job that I've experienced these kind of tests in a work context and it wasn't used like that at all, before that it was all about things that helped me understand myself (not other people as your next post is about) so I'm not surprised we've got very different views on it tbh.

Did anyone here actually do this one? I doubt it. Most people were slagging Myers Briggs.

I'm not on Facebook myself, and never have been.

I have just skimmed the thread. In amongst the slaggings were a bunch of people posting their "types".

Anyway, my remark was tongue in cheek. I've done a couple of silly FB quizzes in my time, and did an online mb a couple of weeks ago, just for shits and giggles.

I have just skimmed the thread. In amongst the slaggings were a bunch of people posting their "types".

Anyway, my remark was tongue in cheek. I've done a couple of silly FB quizzes in my time, and did an online mb a couple of weeks ago, just for shits and giggles.
I posted my type here: myers briggs - what are you ?

OK, some people do seem to have done the test. Probably they were made to vote Trump.

I just did this shortened Myers Briggs test and it came out with the same result as the long one, so thought I'd post it here to save anyone from wasting 20 minutes of their life:

Nah. I’ve never had an “i” result in Myers Briggs. Always an “e” by a huge margin, and I was enormously unpopular at school. The maths one is wrong too, but my T/F score is less clear cut.
I mean, I know it’s not entirely serious, and it’s not like I set a great store by M-B as having anything meaningful to say about what jobs people should do or whatever, but the longer test is fairly accurate about some elements of personality.

I can't be arsed to read this thread but MBTI has some use: as a means of encouraging thought about and empathy for different personality traits. As a means of self-definition it's a lot more questionable, astrology in a suit, and IME these characteristics are often highly contextual.

While any typology scheme needs to come with a side-order of scepticism, MBTI has rather more to it than astrology :D

Isn't it all made up? What evidence is there that people fall into distinct E/I, S/N, T/F, J/P groups? Don't most people have some aspects of one group and some aspects of another, thus falling in the middle? So the results on tests like this depend on the exact wording of the questions and what side they got out of bed that morning?

Isn't it all made up? What evidence is there that people fall into distinct E/I, S/N, T/F, J/P groups? Don't most people have some aspects of one group and some aspects of another, thus falling in the middle? So the results on tests like this depend on the exact wording of the questions and what side they got out of bed that morning?
Try taking the test multiple times over 10 years and see if your theory holds true. That's what I did.

The actual, full MBTI test has four scales, and you score a number on each scale, so it's not quite as "binary" as it seems.

For example (well, anecdote), I score 51/60 on the E scale,which fits quite accurately. For F/T, I score somewhere in the middle, and exhibit some mild T traits alongside mild F ones...in fact, I've moved from T to F over the last 20 years or so, but only quite mildly.

Try taking the test multiple times over 10 years and see if your theory holds true. That's what I did.
Yep. I died one early on in my counselling degree, and came out as ENTP, but have become progressively more F as my training continued, which maps very neatly on to what I see in my self-development. Amusingly, TEFKAME always would insist that I was still a T, because she was rather keen to keep her F a monopoly (she's INFP).

I always seem to go for introverts, but am curious to find out how I'd function in a relationship with another E.

Teenagers scores change as they develop but adults personality types are more fixed. My eldest changed from an I to an E in the last few years which was no surprise given what I know about him, how his confidence has grown and how involved in debates and societies he's become.

Very much this. Also, there are differing cultural awarenesses of what tests are and what the purpose of this test is that also systematically affect the responses.

The idea that we have stable, context-free attributes and attitudes is highly dubious as at best and serves unpleasant ideological purposes at its worst

Yep. I died one early on in my counselling degree, and came out as ENTP, but have become progressively more F as my training continued, which maps very neatly on to what I see in my self-development. Amusingly, TEFKAME always would insist that I was still a T, because she was rather keen to keep her F a monopoly (she's INFP).

As far as I can tell, all the research shows that F and T are entirely separate - i.e. you can be lots of both or not much of either. There's no evidence that it's an either/or thing as this test asserts.

It has varied wildly for me when I did this.

If it has remained stable for you, that says as much about the stable context within which you took the test and stability of the culture that has formed your understanding of what the questions mean as it says about any existence of essential underlying personal attitudes.

It has varied wildly for me when I did this.

If it has remained stable for you, that says as much about the stable context within which you took the test and stability of the culture that has formed your understanding of what the questions mean as it says about any existence of essential underlying personal attitudes.
What do you mean by stable context?
It is interesting that yours have changed, do you recall which ones changed? :)

Back
Top Bottom