Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you work full-time? What are your standard hours?

How many hours do you work per week (officially)?

• 40 hours per week

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • 35 hours per week

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I work full time but my hours are not 40 or 35 hours per week

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • I don't work full-time but I want to join in

Votes: 14 16.5%

• Total voters
local authority, so 37 hours a week

mostly work from home - i've got in to the habit of starting at 10, some days i pack up fairly early then come back for another hour after i've had my tea to make the hours up and know i won't get interrupted.

some weeks do more, some weeks do less - there's not often enough work to clock up enough flexi to take days off - one local authority job i had, there was a weekly deadline for processing stuff, so there was a tendency to work late the day or two before that, and some of us did max the hours so we could take maximum flexi leave (could effectively do a 9 day fortnight then, which suited quite well, as i was in a relationship with someone in nottingham then, and we could usually match long weekends off at least once a month)

When I was working in France years ago, we had a two-hour lunch break, which was lovely, very nice and civilised.

Can't be bothered with that. I'd rather get the work done and be home sooner. Luckily I can choose when I go home beyond about 3:45 so I'm actually able to do that.

37.5 hour week, 7.75 hours Mon-Thu and 6.5 hours Friday. That’s the theory - I don’t usually finish any earlier on Fridays.
It does mean that taking a Friday as leave uses up less holiday allowance.

Yes.

I’m contracted for 22.5 over 4 days but easily regularly work about 30, and would no doubt work more if I didn’t have small people to attend to. :(

I’m tired! 😭
This is what concerns me. I've seen a few jobs advertised recently, full-time jobs in VCSE sector/campaigning/do gooding type roles, but the ad also encourages applications from people wanting to work flexibly, people wanting to work 0.3 or 0.4 FTE.

I've considered applying, as I'd quite like to do a 3-4 day week. But I've been put off because they've never explained how it would work, and call me a cynic but I've worked places before that have taken the piss.

I've wondered how that would work in practice, who would be doing the other 1-2 days' worth of work? I'd be worried about starting the job and then finding out it was a swizz, and that I still had to get through all the stuff in the job description, just in three or four days, and then ending up super stressed and overworked, and effectively doing all the work for only 3/5ths or 4/5ths of the pay.

Sometimes, job ads say they're open to job shares, but lots don't mention job shares or someone else doing the other part of the job.

I work 12 hours a day for normally around 6 weeks then have 6 weeks off

The 12 hours a day for me is absolute maximum and includes eating, not working, exercise etc.

So on paper I work 84 hours a week. But it’s not a proper job, most of that is wandering around looking at stuff and asking a few questions as well as all my well-being stuff rest, relaxation exercise etc

Total per annum I have six or more months off depending on contracts. Or during corona years work straight for 11 ficking months

I wish it was obligatory for companies to put both the salary * and * what hours they consider to be a full-time job.

Because it can make a big difference over the course of a year.

If you switch from a 35 hours a week job to one that considers 40 hours a standard working week, even if the new job is slightly more money, you might up worse off in terms of hourly rate.

If you do a 40 hour week, every week you're working an extra five hours a week, at least 20 extra hours a month, so that's every other month, you've effectively done an extra week's work, as compared to someone who does a similar role but has a 35 hour working week.

Over the course of a year, you'll basically have done at least a whole extra month's work, for free, for 'the Man', in comparison with people who only work a standard 35 hour week.

So fuck that.

I think companies should be transparent about what the working hours will be and what the effective hourly rate will be.

This is what concerns me. I've seen a few jobs advertised recently, full-time jobs in VCSE sector/campaigning/do gooding type roles, but the ad also encourages applications from people wanting to work flexibly, people wanting to work 0.3 or 0.4 FTE.

I've considered applying, as I'd quite like to do a 3-4 day week. But I've been put off because they've never explained how it would work, and call me a cynic but I've worked places before that have taken the piss.

I've wondered how that would work in practice, who would be doing the other 1-2 days' worth of work? I'd be worried about starting the job and then finding out it was a swizz, and that I still had to get through all the stuff in the job description, just in three or four days, and then ending up super stressed and overworked, and effectively doing all the work for only 3/5ths or 4/5ths of the pay.

Sometimes, job ads say they're open to job shares, but lots don't mention job shares or someone else doing the other part of the job.
In my situation the hours of the role were determined by the amount of available money rather than service need. I work across two medical conditions and the minimum recommended standards of care for ONE of those is one full time person in my role :hmm:

I’d like to think that had it not been patient work I’d have been more boundaried with my hours, but it’s hard to do that when there are so many people in need. So much of the NHS is running on this sort of attitude from its staff atm. :( When I was completely tied to my hours (eldest at school, youngest at nursery with me doing all pick ups), it felt unmanageable.

The other thing is that when I started, I didn’t have kids. I also worked two days in another NHS role (so full time) but it was always easy to work an extra 2-4 hours when I didn’t have childcare to consider. So I don’t know if I accidentally set the expectation too high. On the flip side, much of that pattern was also based on how I managed paperwork until I got my ADHD diagnosis and meds, ie procrastination, flitting between tasks without actually completing any and then hyperfocus (which would kick in at about 4pm).

I wish it was obligatory for companies to put both the salary * and * what hours they consider to be a full-time job.

Because it can make a big difference over the course of a year.

If you switch from a 35 hours a week job to one that considers 40 hours a standard working week, even if the new job is slightly more money, you might up worse off in terms of hourly rate.

If you do a 40 hour week, every week you're working an extra five hours a week, at least 20 extra hours a month, so that's every other month, you've effectively done an extra week's work, as compared to someone who does a similar role but has a 35 hour working week.

Over the course of a year, you'll basically have done at least a whole extra month's work, for free, for 'the Man', in comparison with people who only work a standard 35 hour week.

So fuck that.

I think companies should be transparent about what the working hours will be and what the effective hourly rate will be.
And I guess that is the advantage of the NHS for those Mon-Fri 9-5 roles - afaik it is officially 37.5 everywhere unless stated as part time. I assume contacted hours, whilst possibly being different, are clearly stated for NHS colleagues who do shift work? Even if in reality, the hours worked go way over. 😕

I teach at a university so my hours are from 16 to 18 a week depending on how many classes I have that semester.

I'm considered a full time worker and full paid for the summer and winter breaks.

In my situation the hours of the role were determined by the amount of available money rather than service need. I work across two medical conditions and the minimum recommended standards of care for ONE of those is one full time person in my role :hmm:

I’d like to think that had it not been patient work I’d have been more boundaried with my hours, but it’s hard to do that when there are so many people in need. So much of the NHS is running on this sort of attitude from its staff atm. :( When I was completely tied to my hours (eldest at school, youngest at nursery with me doing all pick ups), it felt unmanageable.

The other thing is that when I started, I didn’t have kids. I also worked two days in another NHS role (so full time) but it was always easy to work an extra 2-4 hours when I didn’t have childcare to consider. So I don’t know if I accidentally set the expectation too high. On the flip side, much of that pattern was also based on how I managed paperwork until I got my ADHD diagnosis and meds, ie procrastination, flitting between tasks without actually completing any and then hyperfocus (which would kick in at about 4pm).
This sets my head in a spin, I think I'd explode!

Currently contracted for 26.5 hours but do at least 9 hours a week overtime so I think that makes me full time.
Bonus points for getting the extra hours as o/t. Someone at my place cut her hours to 6 a day, from 7.25. Ended up doing 7.25 every day. Just got paid o/t for 1.25 hours everyday. Got away with it for a few years till the 2008 crash.

Officially 37, but I can’t remember the last time I actually worked that. At least two days a week I leave late.

I've just logged off after WFH today but also did the school run twice, took in the Sainsbury's order and put it away and went for a 90min bike ride so I think I'm still winning on balance.

Bonus points for getting the extra hours as o/t. Someone at my place cut her hours to 6 a day, from 7.25. Ended up doing 7.25 every day. Just got paid o/t for 1.25 hours everyday. Got away with it for a few years till the 2008 crash.
I’m happy to do full time hours because if I want to leave at 1pm I can. Not sure I’d like it if I was contracted to those hours though! Today I did 7am-5pm. But that was my choice.

I should have added that I'm on a 42 week contract which means I don't get paid for college holidays and those 42 weeks of pay are spread over 52 weeks (paid monthly). I'm on a mighty £600-odd quid a year above minimum wage, which considering what I do is a fucking outrage

TTO means you must legally still be paid 5.6 weeks of holiday in addition - so it should be 47.6 weeks of pay over 52, not 42?!

I am not working atm.
OH's hours are a bit of a moveable feast, he does between 40 and 60 hours a week, at the moment he is on reduced hours though so it's nearer the 40 mark - his basic working week is 40 hours (it was 0 hours but they recently introduced contracts for a 40 hour week which is a massive improvement in terms and conditions on paper, although in real terms atm OH is getting fewer hours than he used to).

Last edited:
The downside is that annual leave allowance will be based on six hours a day.

The downside is that annual leave allowance will be based on six hours a day.

I thought there was some case-law around that a few years back?

think the case that got brought was over one of the big supermarkets was employing people on contract that said one day a week, but they were generally working full time, but only got 4 or 5 days' paid holiday a year.

and think this was ruled unlawful (i can't remember all the detail) if the 'overtime' is worked on a regular basis.

a few years ago, i had a couple of jobs that were effectively zero hour contracts, and they added something like 10 or 12 percent to the hourly rate and classed that as holiday pay - one paid it with the regular wages, think the other (i didn't do much for them before i fell back in to full time work) paid out a few times a year.

Realistic hourly rate should be mandatory in job adverts.
Agreed.

If someone's on, say, £20k for a 35 hour week, that works out at about £10.99 per hour.

Say they apply for a job paying £22,500, thinking they will be in a better paid job.

If the new job involves working 35 hours, the hourly rate would be £12.36.

But if they're working 40 hours, they're still on the same hourly rate, £10.99, it's just that they're earning more money because they're working more hours.

Applicants can't do those calculations, though, see whether their hourly rate will go up, can't tell whether it's a better paid job, or whether they will just be working more hours, if the job ad doesn't specify salary and also what the working hours are.

I thought there was some case-law around that a few years back?

think the case that got brought was over one of the big supermarkets was employing people on contract that said one day a week, but they were generally working full time, but only got 4 or 5 days' paid holiday a year.

and think this was ruled unlawful (i can't remember all the detail) if the 'overtime' is worked on a regular basis.

a few years ago, i had a couple of jobs that were effectively zero hour contracts, and they added something like 10 or 12 percent to the hourly rate and classed that as holiday pay - one paid it with the regular wages, think the other (i didn't do much for them before i fell back in to full time work) paid out a few times a year.
12.07%

Back
Top Bottom