Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you work whisper?

Do you work whisper?

• Yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Oh you absolute bellend, fuck off you cunt, shitting christ just figure it out, here we go another thick as pig shit arsehole, MOTHER FUCKNUTS GIVE ME A BREAK
Just quoting out of admiration for the poetry. 'Mother fucknuts' in particular. Can't wait to use it.

I usually work from home and as my son is in 6th form, he comes home in free periods occasionally which means he’s around more while I’m still working.

The other day, he told me my ‘work whispering’ was really weird and creepy. Basically I mutter under my breath to myself about work things while I’m making a cup of tea or something. So I might say that I need to send someone an email or that I could do X to resolve Y problem or I must remember to do something.

Of course this made me feel like a freak who has developed habits unacceptable in society but then I asked some people when I went into the office and they said they all do it.

Do you? And do you think you do it more since lockdown? Or am I and my colleagues just odd?

My main concern is the complete opposite and my neighbours, who are working in an adjacent room, think there's a complete nutcase living next door... My self-regulation seems to go out the window when I'm WFH, and there's an awful lot of loud swearing and shouting at the computer screen. Even the cat gets worried on occasion.

OH talks out loud while she's working and often doesn't really realise she's doing it, which can be disconcerting if you're the only one in the room.

Me: "OK, but why are you telling me this?"
Her: "What, was I talking?"

Dunno about work specific whispers, I just whisper generally, well, more talk to myself, I don't whisper as such. I'm not at all like Brick from The Middle. It's almost like having a conversation with someone else, but it's just me rationalising something in my mind I suppose. I do it on paper too, sort of have a conversation with myself to sort something out in my head.

If anything, I hum most. I was reading some ADHD thing the other week and it was saying that humming is a way of focussing because you can't have more than one thought going on when you're humming (I can't remember why) but it seems to be right. I find I do it a when driving. I know I used to do it as a child (thanks teachers). MrsA and lil'Angel mention that I do it occasionally too.

I used to harangue myself about my inadequacies, but I don’t anymore.
In fact, the penny’s just dropped - I haven’t done it habitually since being medicated on lisdexamphetamine. :eek:

No, but then I've never had jobs that felt that demanding... I mean, they used my brain by I didn't need to think out loud. Thinking about it, my husband does while he's programming, though.

No whispering. I work at home, on my own. No need to whisper my expletive outbursts or critique of some of the systems I use or emails I can't be arsed with.

Yes, I work mutter/swear quite a lot when I'm WAH, I used to do it a fair bit when I worked in the office tbf- luckily, so did my office mate.
I talk to the dog too, I sometimes ask her if she thinks it's time to stop for for a cuppa. She always says yes.

I didn't think I said anything, but my daughter told me that I constantly swear like a sailor. She said it is one of the reasons she was not keen to consider a carrier in my line of work.

Working from home, it's more of a conversation than whisper.

Plus, the nature of the gig requires a lot of scrutiny which means am going to be talking to properly get to grips with the job in hand.

Could be another reason am going a bit off the rails, mind!

Not to myself, beyond the odd muttered "fucksake" or whatever, or counting/measuring stuff. I talk to livestock and other animals, and sometimes plants, though.

I do this sometimes but not always. It tends to be a form of list-making but rather than writing it down, it's a verbal recitation of what I need to do next.

Yes and not just at work, often have a good chunter to myself at home, whilst out and about or whatever.

Swear at myself very occasionally but no muttering/talking. I'm really surprised how many of you do this! Husband does too. I mean I sing a lot but that's different I think.

I don't.

I don't even write notes to myself.

In that respect, I am a very private person, with no wish to share my internal thought processes :hmm:.

I do it while wearing noise cancelling earphones which concerns my colleagues as I utter various Anglo-Saxon expletives without context

Mainly related to excel spread sheets

Not to myself, beyond the odd muttered "fucksake" or whatever, or counting/measuring stuff. I talk to livestock and other animals, and sometimes plants, though

Fucksake was my son's first swearword. It was the only word that used to creep out during my no swearing in front of the kids phase.

I have realised that I like scribbling down this and that in note books as I work. This kind of includes all of the suggested work whisper gubbins.

I've been trying to stop wasting paper so adding this stuff into my one note.

My one note on work laptop now has swearing and associated gubbins. I'm not saying it out loud though 👍 :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom