Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you work full-time? What are your standard hours?

How many hours do you work per week (officially)?

• 40 hours per week

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • 35 hours per week

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I work full time but my hours are not 40 or 35 hours per week

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • I don't work full-time but I want to join in

Votes: 14 16.5%

• Total voters
In theory, 40, however if I have everything done they don't really care. Equally everything does actually have to get done but it average out less than 40.

I had a job like that - 12 hour shift with a couple of hours of actual work. Hated it by the time I left. Now I would rather be occupied than have nowt to do.

Boredom is recognised as a factor in work-related stress.
I've done reception work where I've only been expected to do stuff when there was someone standing right in front of me or someone on the phone or I needed to call someone on the tannoy - it was fine and expected that between those times I could play a game on the computer or read a book. That was fine.
Trying to make out you're busy when you're really not and can't really do anything interesting for your own amusement without risk of getting in trouble can be quite detrimental to your overall happiness and stress levels, IMO.

I work 20 hours a week - just about right for me. However, I am pretty much flat out for all of those hours so it’s more to do with my boss being a tight arse than anything else. The hours are good though (12-4pm, Mon-Fri) so able to fit everything else around it (esp. late night gigs and the like)

I work 20 hours a week - just about right for me. However, I am pretty much flat out for all of those hours so it’s more to do with my boss being a tight arse than anything else. The hours are good though (12-4pm, Mon-Fri) so able to fit everything else around it (esp. late night gigs and the like)
Now I reckon 20 hours would be a good working week for me, but spread Monday to Friday if you're workplace based rather than at home that is a disproportionate amount of travel time and transport costs for the number of hours worked per day that could actually leave you worse off both in terms of finances and time. I'd far rather do 20 hours over 3 days.

Last edited:
Now I reckon 20 hours would be a good working week for me, but spread Monday to Friday if you're workplace based rather than at home that is a disproportionate amount of travel time and transport costs for the number of hours worked per day that could actually leave you worse off both in terms of finances and time. I'd far rather do 20 hours over 3 days.
I see what you’re saying but it’s close to home - just 10 mins drive - so very convenient.

37.5 hours has always been the standard NHS week for the over 20 years I've worked for them.
was the Standard Nursing |Full time hours under Whitley ( 5 * 7.5 ) and came across as the standard working week for all AFC staff groups

IIrc there were varying defintiosn of Full time before AfC for the different staff groups that got covered by AfC ranging from 35 to 42 hours / week

Agreed.

If someone's on, say, £20k for a 35 hour week, that works out at about £10.99 per hour.

Say they apply for a job paying £22,500, thinking they will be in a better paid job.

If the new job involves working 35 hours, the hourly rate would be £12.36.

But if they're working 40 hours, they're still on the same hourly rate, £10.99, it's just that they're earning more money because they're working more hours.

Applicants can't do those calculations, though, see whether their hourly rate will go up, can't tell whether it's a better paid job, or whether they will just be working more hours, if the job ad doesn't specify salary and also what the working hours are.
also seen a move from 37.5 to 40.25 sold as ' we are increasing salaries when we change the rota ( from 5 from 7 8 hour shifts ( 7.3 paid ) to 4 on 4 off 12 hour ( 11.5 paid) sifts )

Boredom is recognised as a factor in work-related stress.
I've done reception work where I've only been expected to do stuff when there was someone standing right in front of me or someone on the phone or I needed to call someone on the tannoy - it was fine and expected that between those times I could play a game on the computer or read a book. That was fine.
Trying to make out you're busy when you're really not and can't really do anything interesting for your own amusement without risk of getting in trouble can be quite detrimental to your overall happiness and stress levels, IMO.
why i quite enjoy my current role, if it's genuinely quiet i can take myself off in the depths of the stockroom and tidy up / check/ consolidate stock locations , relatively low stress plod along to make up for the high stress ' we need to transfer 5000 units by the end of the day and becasue they are serialised and messed up in the bulk storage location you'll have ot scan each unit / outer case

I’ve changed jobs and gone back up to 37.5 from 35. I like the job but I do miss the hour lunch. It was long enough to watch a full episode of something whilst chilling and also to have a lovely nap. 30 minutes is fine in the office but feels too short at home.

Technically, 37.5. I think. But it's one of those averages. Some weeks are 48 hours. Some are 36. Some are 24. Some are blank. Some have minor variations on the above, but you've already zoned out.

It's like the average age of death being 38 or whatever at the turn of the 20th century, but in practice very few people actually died at that age, because if you managed to survive childhood illnesses and war/childbirth, you'd have a good chance of hitting your biblical three score and 10. But hey, averages.

I’ve changed jobs and gone back up to 37.5 from 35. I like the job but I do miss the hour lunch. It was long enough to watch a full episode of something whilst chilling and also to have a lovely nap. 30 minutes is fine in the office but feels too short at home.
If I feel I need an hour I take an hour. No-one is watching.

But then again my current role is the most hands-off in terms of time keeping I've ever had. No timesheets. No-one checking anything. Sometimes I take two hour lunch breaks to go to the gym, and I do extend the day to make up for it, though probably not really enough. But I feel as though as long as I'm within a couple of hours of the weekly target (up or down, as sometimes I do extra evening things etc) that's ok.

Yes agree I sometimes take long lunches if I feel like it. Sometimes to do a task eg food shop / mow lawn if doing it later doesn’t appeal.

I’ve done about 50 hours this week, but some was the 6 overtime today and I’ll get the time back for everything above 37 hours that isn’t approved as overtime.

Yes agree I sometimes take long lunches if I feel like it. Sometimes to do a task eg food shop / mow lawn if doing it later doesn’t appeal.

I’ve done about 50 hours this week, but some was the 6 overtime today and I’ll get the time back for everything above 37 hours that isn’t approved as overtime.
My mower is broken, I may have to spend an excessive amount of time fixing it when back on Monday.

I'm contracted for 40 hours. I get a bit of flexibility in start/finish times, so I chose 8:30 to 5:30, including an unpaid hour for lunch. Sometimes my lunch will overrun for about half an hour, and if I get a case of the afternoon slump I'll take a nap for a half hour to an hour. I work from home and monitoring is minimal (I don't think they care so long as I complete tickets within their expected ETAs), so I can do things like that as well as run down to the local shops and so on.

Before my workplace got bought up by a bigger company, we used to occasionally get the option of working paid overtime on Saturdays. Since the acquisition there hasn't been a sniff of any overtime whatsoever, which is a shame because right now I could use the extra money.

I get paid for 54 hours a week but I work 6 on 3 off get three days off also my job as the car park attendant/ traffic warden for a park is a bit of a doss I cycle round a park all day.
So that 9 hours
1 hour of breaks non deployed time
Hour cycle to and from the park so that’s 7
Another hour gone travelling to and from my house for lunch and breaks
So 6 hours of “work” some days if the weather is shite there’s very few people in the park .
Apprantly parking enforcement costs £135000 per annum but they make £1/2 million from parking which pays towards the up keep of the park. Parking is all done by an app now with no alternative 🤬 which is fucking stupid.

I did an 11-3 shift today.

Now that is an ideal length for a work day, especially if you’re public-facing.
If only I could do that every day.

lucky bastard

11- 20:30

thankfully only have to be overly polite on email and around Management :D

I get contracted and paid for 35 hours a week
I work 45 to 60 hours a week (varies) with an occasional 30 hour week
education work is rubbish for this

we just had a staff survey - last question
'How likely is it that things will change as a result of this survey' (supreme gas lighting question)
very unlikely likely don't know likely very likely

35 at the moment, 9-5 with an hour lunch break. Most jobs have been 37 or 37.5 and I’m about to go back to 37.

I’ve never worked 40 hours contracted.
40.25 is the standard for 4 on 4 off 12 hour ( 11.5 paid) shifts as ytou do 4 weeks of 46 and 4 weeks of 34.5 in the cycle

Paid for 40. Work a maximum of 35 probably (9-5 with an hour or so at lunch), and quite often have periods where I don't get anything much done for an hour or two. As long as I deliver what's expected, nobody cares about the actual time worked though.

I think technically my contract is 37.5 hours, but quite often I end up being rota’d for 165-170 hours a month, so in reality I work nearer 40 hours per weeks. I’m on a 4 on 4 off rota
Day 1 - 0530 - 1730
Day 2 - 0600 - 1600
Day 3 - 1600 - 0200
Day 4 - 1730 - 0530
Day 5 - Sleep day (this is counted as a day off, although I argue that it isn’t because I’ve done 5.5 hours work before I get to bed)
Day 6,7,8 - Rest days

And start again…….

I do get relief periods about every 10 weeks, so I’ll do 2 weeks whatever they feel like rota’ing me in for to cover leave, you quite often get worked like an absolute dog on these, but very occasionally you’ll do barely any hours because they’ve completely over scheduled you prior.

I also save up all my overruns as TOIL and take as much time off work as I can with it, although they’re now trying to discourage us from doing that. There’s also a dispute over a new unofficial policy where they deduct latenes from your annual leave without consent, however the unions have pointed out doing so without consent means it’s illegal.

My contract's 37, I think. I do 8-4, 5 days a week. Lunchbreak length depends on how busy I am. Mine's one of those jobs where they just look at how much work gets done, not how much time you spend doing it.

Back
Top Bottom